Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Ah, the "Its only actually illegal if someone presses charges" school of thought. Well, is worked OK so far I suppose...
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:17 pm
Banned

Dukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
Of whom no one in Canada has heard.

What about Aaron Downey or Sidney Crosby?

see you made my point! aurguement over!! no one in canada has heard of wayne rooney i know but hes famous all over the world everywhere except for this place and you just proved that canuks dont know any real celebs or world class stars.

and ive never heard of aaron downy or sidney crosby so they cant be that famous. looked them up there ice hockey players you must be joking famous dont make me laugh bet no one in the uk has heard of them or knows or cares anything about ice hockey either.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dukie
and ive never heard of aaron downy or sidney crosby so they cant be that famous. looked them up there ice hockey players you must be joking famous dont make me laugh bet no one in the uk has heard of them or knows or cares anything about ice hockey either.
That's my point. The UK has football, Canada has ice hockey. The ice hockeyist are famous in Canada, the footballers unheard of. It's not wrong, just different.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

see you made my point! aurguement over!! no one in canada has heard of wayne rooney i know but hes famous all over the world everywhere except for this place and you just proved that canuks dont know any real celebs or world class stars.

Look up "parochial" in the dictionary...

Im guessing wayne would be largely unbothered wandering around in the US (pop 350M) too. Unlike Crosby whos something of a poster boy down there as well as north of the border.

There is no doubt much that you dont know, but that doesnt mean that its not known.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Look up "parochial" in the dictionary...

Im guessing wayne would be largely unbothered wandering around in the US (pop 350M) too. Unlike Crosby whos something of a poster boy down there as well as north of the border.

There is no doubt much that you dont know, but that doesnt mean that its not known.
You do have to concede though that Canada's something of a backwater for spectator sports; the professional teams here are pretty much the weak ones in US leagues. The sports are, by and large, unique to the USA and Canada; American football, basketball, ice hockey, baseball. The rest of the world watches football, rugby, cricket. I don't care about professional sport but for people who do this would be an odd destination.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:33 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to Canada once for 10 days and came away knowing who Sidney Crosby is
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:33 pm
Banned

Dukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant future

He has talent, and the top employer (OK, one of the top employers) in his field happens to be located in Manchester, with little hope of relocation.

So until someone comes along with a better pay packet he stays near there

See the difference? Talent, and a large renumeration package to tie you to a location?

Theres nothing wrong with Manchester if your personal circumstances are right, but its hardly Shangri La. But then you probably think that's a massage parlour near Openshaw anyway....
you just proved how ignorant you are and dont know anything hes not employed by anyone. he dosent have to work hes a footballer! he plays for m/cr united for now but where gonna get him for city soon as we have tons of money now to spend. m/cr united is done for now. city rules forever! and wayne has said he likes living in manchester thinks the people are the finest in the world. so its not all about money in football. you just dont
understand.

shangri la very funy but ive never had a problem with getting a girl in manchester. so i dont need to pay for it. thats for old men who cant get any. easy in manchester if you want it bad enough just take a few cans and go to where they do the dogging partys. plenty of nice girls there will do it with you for a laugh. maybe need it over here though lol. girls here to naroow minded and backwards in general dont know how to have a good time. same as the blokes over here cant hold there drink and got no sense of humour and all dress the same boring. thats another reason for me to go back to manchester the women are more friendly to!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:35 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

you just proved how ignorant you are and dont know anything hes not employed by anyone. he dosent have to work hes a footballer! he plays for m/cr united for now but where gonna get him for city soon as we have tons of money now to spend. m/cr united is done for now. city rules forever! and wayne has said he likes living in manchester thinks the people are the finest in the world. so its not all about money in football. you just dont
understand.

shangri la very funy but ive never had a problem with getting a girl in manchester. so i dont need to pay for it. thats for old men who cant get any. easy in manchester if you want it bad enough just take a few cans and go to where they do the dogging partys. plenty of nice girls there will do it with you for a laugh. maybe need it over here though lol. girls here to naroow minded and backwards in general dont know how to have a good time. same as the blokes over here cant hold there drink and got no sense of humour and all dress the same boring. thats another reason for me to go back to manchester the women are more friendly to!
you are entertaining Dukie, if nothing else
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
You do have to concede though that Canada's something of a backwater for spectator sports; the professional teams here are pretty much the weak ones in US leagues. The sports are, by and large, unique to the USA and Canada; American football, basketball, ice hockey, baseball. The rest of the world watches football, rugby, cricket. I don't care about professional sport but for people who do this would be an odd destination.
The weirdest thing about american sports leagues for me is the lack of promotion / relegation. Its clearly seen as an entertainment business here, which is essentially what it is in the UK too, except that people still like to pretend someone without big money behind them might sneak a minor cup now and then.

I suppose its a cultural thing, affirming the break with king and empire by eschewing the traditional games of empire?

In those terms Canada hasnt been totally awful, Dont forget, the Leafs and Habs used to win the Stanley Cup regularly (just not in my lifetime in the case of the TMLs...bit like Man U used to be a sleeping giant of footy until revived in the 90s by money) The Blue Jays won the world series a couple of times...thanks to ...er money.

CFL is peculiar I'll grant you, but if you tie it into 'mercan football it sort of makes sense as a feeder league or home of the mediocre (Division one football comparison?)

So much footy on TV and in person thats probably not a problem, but a cricket lover might be in for a hard time I suppose.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I really must protest at this. If I can get laid over and over again in Canada then surely anyone can.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

understand.
!
Ah, a CITY FAN. That explains. I'm sorry, Id just assumed you were a retard or something, but now I understand. Would Wayne (a liverpool lad) badmouth the people he lives among? Would that be sensible? All footballers love the fans and people of the cities that pay them so lavishlY (until they inevitably move to fresh pastures), it would be nuts to say otherwise (especially if you come from their arch rivals just down the M62!)

City rules forever? City havent ruled since 68, and havent come close since 77

City may have LOTS of money to spend, just like Chelsea, maybe even more.... Now, did Chelsea win the league last year with all their money? Nope. Or the year before that? Hmm. Seems money doesnt guarantee success. Wayne Rooney is not employed?, he has no contract to show up at Old Trafford and kick a ball around?. Interesting, thats probably nes to Alex Ferguson. It should be easy for attract him to another club then, I expect Real Madrid are looking for someone to fill a recent vacancy there, they can probably throw a few pies or something his way, and Colleen would propbably prefer the weather in Spain too.

Money can buy good players for sure, Class on the other hand takes years to attain, and goes along with a track record of winning trophies. Liverpool have it. Man U have it, Arsenal have it, Chelsea aspire to it. Newcastle not so much... City have a looooong way to go, dont get too excited yet.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 5th 2008 at 9:01 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:21 pm
Banned

Ah, a CITY FAN. That explains. I'm sorry, Id just assumed you were a retard or something, but now I understand. Would Wayne (a liverpool lad) badmouth the people he lives among? Would that be sensible? All footballers love the fans and people of the cities that pay them so lavishlY (until they inevitably move to fresh pastures), it would be nuts to say otherwise (especially if you come from their arch rivals just down the M62!)

City rules forever? City havent ruled since 68, and havent come close since 77

City may have LOTS of money to spend, just like Chelsea, maybe even more.... Now, did Chelsea win the league last year with all their money? Nope. Or the year before that? Hmm. Seems money doesnt guarantee success. Wayne Rooney is not employed?, he has no contract to show up at Old Trafford and kick a ball around?. Interesting, thats probably nes to Alex Ferguson. It should be easy for attract him to another club then, I expect Real Madrid are looking for someone to fill a recent vacancy there, they can probably throw a few pies or something his way, and Colleen would propbably prefer the weather in Spain too.

Money can buy good players for sure, Class on the other hand takes years to attain, and goes along with a track record of winning trophies. Liverpool have it. Man U have it, Arsenal have it, Chelsea aspire to it. Newcastle not so much... City have a looooong way to go, dont get too excited yet.

let me explain it simp,y terms for you. wayne rooney is a footballer so why would he want a job to when hes a millionare? hes also a celeb and famous so he DOESNT need a job like me. he has lots of money. he could live anywhere he wants to but he wants to live in manchester because hes said its a great city and has great people. you dont know anything. football isnt all about money. people do it beacuse they love it. money is nice for them but its not everything. it the greatest sport in the world. go it now?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

needasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really nice

i have to admit ...when i lived in the UK ...i missed Hockey, now i am back in canada - i watched it for 6 months then lost interest!

But then again i am a gamer
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Hey Dukie is Canada that bad mate? how long u been there? With the all the money from Abu Dhabi Man City will rule the Premiership there is talk they are already going for Ronaldo. Thats from a scouser !!!!! So Canada isnt the land of milk and honey have you thought of Australia or N.Z.?
Mind u be careful as it could be very similar and u could come unstuck again. Some people hate the thought of others not settling i had a relation like that in N.Z. she hated England always slagged it off and if u never praised N.Z. she would fall out with u. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...
Old Sep 5th 2008, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

needasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really nice

lol

today i looked at old posts of mine ....firsts off i was shocked to see i have 3 accounts Needasmack, sharmagirl and fried_emu....my bad

here is a copy of it:

Re: Silly things I LOVE about Canada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let see I miss:

Tim Horton's!!!
Pamprin!!!
Large bottles of Tylenol
Open spaces
Blue sky
Hot weather
Cold weather
Snow
Good Schools
Rootbeer
Turtles - (choccy)
Tootsie Rolls
BIG bags of crisps!

I could go on for a while.....

Sharma

I look at it now and can see it was only homesickness talking.
none of them seem to be relevant anymore. Timmes is ok, good schools (well after this last year don't get me started on that one). I think alot of the posts we make are so filled with emotion and what we are feeling that will argue till the cows come home, because we have blinders on.

The one thing that remained constant over the years was dbd33, his/her posts have always been logical, funny and slightly dry wit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.