Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:23 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Originally Posted by chutley
Dukie

I'm the original poster. This is not what I wanted from this thread at all.
You've had your say, I appreciate your comments and applaud your love of Manchester and drink. Now would you kindly find another thread, please?

Anyone else anything constructive advice on Canada, or should I close this thread?
Only the mods. can close a thread.

If you post something on here you take what you get. You'll see once you have been here a while, most threads digress off to something totally unrelated to the original question. that is just that's way it goes, To keep it on track, then the OP is best to periodically re post the question to bring it back into line, even then no guarantees. It is an open forum for anyone to say, within reason what they like, as you see some posters are less constructive than others. Disseminate the information you are looking for and discount the rest.

However your comments are quite valid. Duckie's love of booze, Manchester, Curry, living off the back of the social system and disdain for all things Canadian, employers, hockey, in fact anyone that does not agree with him is getting somewhat tiresome. You have to admit though it was good for a laugh. It must have been a wind up though, surely he cannot be for real.

Hope though all this you get what you are looking for and have a chuckle into the bargain.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Dukie

I'm the original poster. This is not what I wanted from this thread at all.
You've had your say, I appreciate your comments and applaud your love of Manchester and drink. Now would you kindly find another thread, please?

Anyone else anything constructive advice on Canada, or should I close this thread?
Hi Chutley

Looks like your thread is too far gone for any constructive advice. But if I can offer my opinion I can't see that you have much to gain from moving to Canada, it's a fine place but maybe you'd be better just coming for holidays. Good luck with your decision
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:17 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

So all in all, we are both beginning to question whether it is really worth all the hassle and trauma of starting a new life in Canada. We probably still have another 2 or 3 years to wait for a visa anyway, and in that time we are getting older, but feel that we are in Limbo.

What do you think? Did you leave behind a good life in he UK with Rose-tinted spectacles and big expectations? Is it really that hard to break into Canadian employment? And if space and an easier life (financially too) are our driving force, are we just another couple of dreamers who will end up returning to the UK!!
Moving back to your original question. You will get different answers, depending where you ask the question. In the main Canada forum, lots of people going through the process, probably asking themselves the same thing, as well as quite a few old hands who have been in country for quite a while. You may want to pose your question there as well and weigh up the responses. In the Moving back forum, then there will be some disillusioned with their move and others going back for different reasons, giving you a another perspective.

From my perspective, I moved to experience life in Canada and enjoy what it had to offer. My one comment as I left the UK was that if it did not work I could always go back, at least I gave it a go and would not wonder what if. I was not looking to get a better lifestyle (although that is what I ended up with), just take what I got. Life is different, if it's new experiences and different you are looking for, it is worth a go. It is not easy though, it takes several years of slogging through to come out the other end feeling you are glad you did so. If you expect to pick up where you left off in the UK, very unlikley.

After a year or so I could still have been persuaded to move back, but we decided to stick it out and get citizenship. Am I glad we did, as there is no way I would go back now (not sure how I ended up in this forum though, think it was the vibrance of this thread as it progressed). Start out feeling negative and it stands less chance of success, start out looking to make it work and you have a better chance.

We had a good life in the UK, good job, own house with very low mortgage, would be paid off now, did pretty much what I wanted. Then felt like I needed an adventure, Canada was and still is it. However the rose tinted specs have long since faded, but we are contented with our lot and think I would find it more stressful going back to the UK than moving to Canada in the first place.

There is work in the construction industry, however the trades need to challenge the exam and sit the Red Seal I believe. Better to come here qualified and then change to Canadian than come here and train from scratch.

Space and an easier life - We found it. Hope you find what you are looking for. Perhaps reevaluate next time you are here and arrange to meet up with a few expats already living here.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Sep 2nd 2008 at 4:20 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dukie
i can talk about anything i want on this board .
Yes - beer
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Can't believe people are still feeding the Troll. Mind you I guess I am still reading it
We all know he's a troll but he's a bloody funny one

Loved his dog park rant

The Sun, beer, curry and football - says it all about him really

Next
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:07 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

wow

haven't laughed out loud so much in ages. Whether he was genuine or not, he was entertaining !
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:58 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
wow

haven't laughed out loud so much in ages. Whether he was genuine or not, he was entertaining !
Haha yep had me giggling too
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:44 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

oooh fab thread - gets wine and choolate and reads back more
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:09 pm
Banned

Dukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant future

glad your all having so much fun laughing at my sad life. me im feeling like shit this morning. had that crappy stuff they call beer here last at duckies pub on 4 st yes it does exist but its not a pub reaaly more like a shop front and its run by bloody greeks! what do they know about beer! to sad to be funny. look what im reduced to. drinking piss with a bunch of greeks and homeless people in a converted shop in the middle of knowwhere. and what for? so i can go to a shitty job today feeing like crap putting up with people who dont have a life and are boring. sank so low last night had fcking greek pizza. so what the bleeding hell is a greek pizza!! tasted like cardboard. oo i feel sick today.

gotta go know or boss chew my arse off...ooo your 30 seconds late again dukie did your alarm not go off..what a tosser!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:14 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dukie
glad your all having so much fun laughing at my sad life. me im feeling like shit this morning. had that crappy stuff they call beer here last at duckies pub on 4 st yes it does exist but its not a pub reaaly more like a shop front and its run by bloody greeks! what do they know about beer! to sad to be funny. look what im reduced to. drinking piss with a bunch of greeks and homeless people in a converted shop in the middle of knowwhere. and what for? so i can go to a shitty job today feeing like crap putting up with people who dont have a life and are boring. sank so low last night had fcking greek pizza. so what the bleeding hell is a greek pizza!! tasted like cardboard. oo i feel sick today.

gotta go know or boss chew my arse off...ooo your 30 seconds late again dukie did your alarm not go off..what a tosser!
have you been down Brewsters at eau claire, nice resaurant sells its own brewed beer. lovely place, not some pikey weatherspoons in manc land!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Dukie, troll or not, you are a disgrace the face of Manchester. Not all Mancs or Man City supporters are like you you know! I'm from East Manchester and have loved the Blues all my life...but I can't believe your mentality and intellect! How the hell did you even get into Canada anyway? Please, Bugger off back to whatever scum hole part of Manchester you came from. :curse:
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Please, Bugger off back to whatever scum hole part of Manchester you came from. :curse:
The Mancunian toilet? Sorry, Wythenshawe
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:06 pm
Banned

Dukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northernbird
have you been down Brewsters at eau claire, nice resaurant sells its own brewed beer. lovely place, not some pikey weatherspoons in manc land!
thanks for the tip. no not been there. didnt like wetherspoons in manchester to corportae for me. my pub was the happy man on portway road wythenshawe. oh how i miss friday and satarday nites with me m8s. made life worthwhile. not like here reduced to going to some dump run by greeks pretending to be a pub. they got no idea what a pub is. i think that pizza they sold me last nite came musta come with them when they moved here. stomach been churning all day even the boss arsehole though he is felt sorry for me and sent me home early.

oh how i miss my manchester and a grate british curry in the shere khan on wilmslow road. you can keep all this foriegn muck. not good for you.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Dukie, troll or not, you are a disgrace the face of Manchester. Not all Mancs or Man City supporters are like you you know! I'm from East Manchester and have loved the Blues all my life...but I can't believe your mentality and intellect! How the hell did you even get into Canada anyway? Please, Bugger off back to whatever scum hole part of Manchester you came from. :curse:
why am i a disgrace to manchester? i love the place never said anything bad about it or city. you must have read some other persons posts. look for dukie and read mine youll see i defend manchester and city like you do all the time.

i hope its a mistake and your not attacking me. id be upset if another person from manchester living in this place didnt like me as i dont have any friends so we mancunians need to stick together. i got a lot of emails of support from other mancunians from all over the world telling me i got it right but told others wouldnt like me for speaking the truth as some people dont like the truth. i hope your not one of them as i could do with a freind from manchester.

dont know which part of manchester is east. you must have been here to long to talk like that. i cant get used to this go north go west stuff whatever if its not left or right or go straight im lost with directions here. theyre like bloody indian scouts at times. had one person look out of the car window one day and say if the suns over there then we need to go this way! thought it was a load of bollocks but he realy could find his was by looking at the sun! that wouldnt be much use in manchester i told him but he didnt get it as theyve got no sense of humour.

talking about indians scouts. whats all this with first nations crap. im told thats indian tribes. so if there first nations is everyone else here second nations? and if they are what are the immigrants like the greeks third nations? this country is all screwed up ill never understand it. i tell canadians it was the english who discovered cananda so we must be the first nations. if they argue i pull out some money and show them the queen and ask them how the indians can be first nations if there chief is not on the money and our queen is? they cant answer that. they dont seem to understand that canada didnt exist before the english came here we discovered it and its in our history books. but they dont know about english history as canadians are just to bloody ignorant and backwards.

i got into canada because gran and grandad came over to canada for couple of years and mam was born here and she told the government about us when we were born. they went home when mam was young because they wanted there kids to have a proper english education not this canada crap. anyway mam rest her sole alway told us about canada when we were young and that we should go there when we got older. i think she liked it here but cant figure out why after being here. think gran and grandad got it right coming home they were proud to be british.

im trying to go home but im not sure what you mean by scum hole in manchester. i didnt come from a bad place i came from wythenshawe. i dont know any really bad places in manchester. but id agree the worst place in manchester is better than anyplace here and id rather live there than here and id go home in a moment if i had any money.

i know your a big blues supporter so if i upset you about a shek buying m/cr city or anything like that i didnt mean to. i didnt make it up. you can check it out. and hes going to put millions of quids into city to. so its a good thing even though hes a foreigner.

well im gonna lie down now for a while not feeling to good. hope i dont die in the place. then again if i did id probably fit right in with everbody else living here.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Wow Dukie, troll or not you really are a prize tw*t aren't you (pick a vowel, any vowel, I'm sure you will get the right one eventually).

No doubt your 'M8's' in Manchester will welcome you with open arms when you return and as long as you are still able to shout 'Big Issue' in your old stomping grounds you will always have enough cash for that next can of real english beer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.