British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Hmm, an unexpected turn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/hmm-unexpected-turn-882688/)

Tr1boy Sep 2nd 2016 8:05 am

Hmm, an unexpected turn

As you know, we've been saying 'this is the last year' in the UK for a while now and mentally preparing a return to Oz. Exchange rate and the job market notwithstanding, I thought we would be headed back down under with Flipper in tow.

Last week I was made an offer for a new role with a new company that was just too hard to turn down. It's in Berkshire ( just west of Reading) which means we'd probably stay in Winchester ( boo from me, yay from Mrs TB :lol: ).

Anyway, looks like we will be here for a couple more years at least. You lucky people. :lol:

Snap Shot Sep 2nd 2016 9:49 am

Re: Hmm, an unexpected turn

Nice !

Well done on the new job. Although Winchester to Reading in the rush hour is not going to be easy. ;)

Tr1boy Sep 2nd 2016 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 12041908)
Nice !

Well done on the new job. Although Winchester to Reading in the rush hour is not going to be easy. ;)

Thanks. It's not as far as Reading and I can avoid the M4 by heading up through Amazingstoke and the country roads. Get to WFH 1-2 days a week. We were looking at the possibility of moving and buying in Compton or Goring but looking at the schools, it's a bit hit and miss compared to Winchester.

We'll see how things go and evaluate at Xmas.

spouse of scouse Sep 2nd 2016 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 12041875)
As you know, we've been saying 'this is the last year' in the UK for a while now and mentally preparing a return to Oz. Exchange rate and the job market notwithstanding, I thought we would be headed back down under with Flipper in tow.

Last week I was made an offer for a new role with a new company that was just too hard to turn down. It's in Berkshire ( just west of Reading) which means we'd probably stay in Winchester ( boo from me, yay from Mrs TB :lol: ).

Anyway, looks like we will be here for a couple more years at least. You lucky people. :lol:

Isn't life wonderful, you have a plan and along comes something else! Stops us getting in a rut, that's for sure. Congratulations on your new job and I'm sure the UK can stand having you around for a few more years :thumbup:

SanDiegogirl Sep 2nd 2016 4:10 pm

I used to live in Guildford and work in Newbury.

Used to commute to Newbury visa Basingstoke (M3)and then along the country road A339 to Newbury.

Watch out for those tractors!

Congrats on the new job.

Tr1boy Sep 2nd 2016 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12042211)
I used to live in Guildford and work in Newbury.

Used to commute to Newbury visa Basingstoke (M3)and then along the country road A339 to Newbury.

Watch out for those tractors!

Congrats on the new job.

Good to know thanks. When I left the interview, the satnav took me to Winchester via some pretty narrow road. (i remember going through Silchester) but it does look like there's a similar route on a wider road (can't remember the name of it).

hey we used to love in Godalming, I really liked it there. I worked on the edge of Guildford (near Woodbridge pub).

Tr1boy Sep 2nd 2016 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12042175)
Isn't life wonderful, you have a plan and along comes something else! Stops us getting in a rut, that's for sure. Congratulations on your new job and I'm sure the UK can stand having you around for a few more years :thumbup:

Thanks SoS. I get to handpick my team. The agency that put me forward has been extremely nice because I'm about to become their client.:lol:

SanDiegogirl Sep 2nd 2016 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 12042357)
Good to know thanks. When I left the interview, the satnav took me to Winchester via some pretty narrow road. (i remember going through Silchester) but it does look like there's a similar route on a wider road (can't remember the name of it).

hey we used to love in Godalming, I really liked it there. I worked on the edge of Guildford (near Woodbridge pub).

Small world eh! Lived just up the A25 in Abbotswood, next to Stoke Park.