Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:12 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

I'm going back to the UK with the intention of buying a small cottage. I used to have a large 4 bedroomed house but I also ran a full time business and I was often so frustrated that my family loved the house but would not help clean it.

These days, I have a few more choices so I can choose just for me this time. I love my job and I love gardening so I want a little house in the market town I am returning to (less housework means more time to enjoy my passion), a garden and then I have to find the right kind of business premises. I'll be in heaven then.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricket1
I'm going back to the UK with the intention of buying a small cottage. I used to have a large 4 bedroomed house but I also ran a full time business and I was often so frustrated that my family loved the house but would not help clean it.

These days, I have a few more choices so I can choose just for me this time. I love my job and I love gardening so I want a little house in the market town I am returning to (less housework means more time to enjoy my passion), a garden and then I have to find the right kind of business premises. I'll be in heaven then.
bigger is not always better

which part of the UK will you be looking for your small cottage?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:52 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I am going home to Market Harborough, Leics.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

julii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nice

I’ve been back in the UK five years and I’m going back to the USA next year. The weather here is dreadful. It’s too crowded (around London where we live). Many of the people we’ve met are pessimistic and people are often lazy or unwilling to ‘pitch in’ at work. Generalisations, I know, but these are just patterns I’ve noticed. My US Citizen husband who liked it here initially now can’t wait to leave. I can’t say I regret it entirely, as we both had well paid jobs in the UK and managed to save a bundle while we were here. Plus the trips around Europe were interesting.

We just seemed to have more fun when we lived in the US – going camping, hikes in the mountains, barbeques, road trips, cross country skiing – just can’t do them in the UK.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:54 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julii2020
I’ve been back in the UK five years and I’m going back to the USA next year. The weather here is dreadful. It’s too crowded (around London where we live). Many of the people we’ve met are pessimistic and people are often lazy or unwilling to ‘pitch in’ at work. Generalisations, I know, but these are just patterns I’ve noticed. My US Citizen husband who liked it here initially now can’t wait to leave. I can’t say I regret it entirely, as we both had well paid jobs in the UK and managed to save a bundle while we were here. Plus the trips around Europe were interesting.

We just seemed to have more fun when we lived in the US – going camping, hikes in the mountains, barbeques, road trips, cross country skiing – just can’t do them in the UK.
Which part of the USA are you from for a comparison? Remember people don`t normally go to the UK for the weather anyway its temperate like much of north western Europe, which means pretty miserable for several months of the year. As for population density, well you are in probably the most densely populated country in Europe so no surprise there, the UK`s 60 million population has got to live somewhere. As for people being lazy!!! I see no reason for the UK being any worse than many other European countries in this respect, so that is not a very accurate statement

I can also tell you, as an overseas person that the UK has very good access to the coutryside with extensive public walk ways and an extensive road network that covers much of the countryside as well. Therefore exploring the countryside and hiking etc is a relative luxury in the UK compared to many other countries.

Camping no problem but Brits prefer caravaning.........Its the French that love camping. As for hikes in the mountains, well your better off in Wales or Scotland for that. Also there is no barbeque culture in the UK due to lack of sun and reliable weather..............Better off in Australia for that etc and why would you expect to do cross country skiing in the UK anyway????????? Here in Europe there is largely done in countries like Norway, Sweden and Finland etc.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:04 pm
Banned

Never heard of the Lake District or the Peak District then?

You would not expect to find any outdoor activities in London or the cities but the UK does have the wonderful ability to be anywhere in the countryside within a n hour or two.
I grew up in the Lake District and it's full of walkers, climbers, campers, etc. So is Scotland and Wales plus the UK is famed for it's National Parks and countryside.
It is a shame to be leaving England just because it doesn't suit one aspect of your life and be so wrong in your percieved shortcomings of what you think it lacks.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:11 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
As for people being lazy!!! I see no reason for the UK being any worse than many other European countries in this respect, so that is not a very accurate statement

I can also tell you, as an overseas person that the UK has very good access to the coutryside with extensive public walk ways and an extensive road network that covers much of the countryside as well. Therefore exploring the countryside and hiking etc is a relative luxury in the UK compared to many other countries.

Better off in Australia for that etc and why would you expect to do cross country skiing in the UK anyway????????? Here in Europe there is largely done in countries like Norway, Sweden and Finland etc.
Agreed on all those points.

I wouldn't say British people are any lazier on the whole than the average American either.
And yes, the UK has far better access to the countryside for hiking (via the public footpath system) than the US ever has.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:14 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that England will miss you, I hope you have fun in the paradise of rainbows and unicorns that you are going back to.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Julii2020 Friends of mine have similar interests to you and your OH, and after years of travelling and working in the likes of Canada and Aus they have settled back in the UK near Aberdeen, where they are loving life, both have good jobs.

The mountains might be smaller but they are very easily accessible and they have bought a campervan (concession to the climate for the colder times of year) and go away and do outdoor stuff most weekends, in the winter go skiing and snowboarding nearby.

So the lifestyle you are seeking is available in the UK, just not in London - might be worth consideration for you guys?
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:17 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Agreed on all those points.

I wouldn't say British people are any lazier on the whole than the average American either.
And yes, the UK has far better access to the countryside for hiking (via the public footpath system) than the US ever has.
As much as I love the USA, its a country that has a culture of driving everywhere and eating junk food and fast food all day long.................So they can hardly accuse others of being lazy.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:39 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Brutal!! 1 against 10 is never fun.The UK might be small but you guys fight as a team.Remind me to never piss you guys off
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:52 pm
Banned

I don't think it matters where you are. If you look for the best you'll find the best in any place and the people. Otherwise, keep quiet.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:22 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, I shake my head in wonderment.

Because one area of UK doesnt suit you, you decide not to check out other areas to live but scuttle off to another country? Crazy.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Once again, I shake my head in wonderment.

Because one area of UK doesnt suit you, you decide not to check out other areas to live but scuttle off to another country? Crazy.
Makes me laugh so much these threads, one person in one area makes out the whole of UK is no good to bike ride, camping, bbq...hehehehehe.

Sham!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the people we’ve met are pessimistic and people are often lazy or unwilling to ‘pitch in’ at work. Generalisations, I know, but these are just patterns I’ve noticed.
I guess if you are comparing the Brit 'work to live' ethic with the American 'live to work and have very little holiday or down time etc' ethic then that would be a fair call. It's just a cultural thing, but I know which I prefer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.