Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Ginblossom View Post
Funny how the people bitching at me saying how broken America is and how great Britain is....actually... still live in the US.

If they think its some paradise here, come on over.

Mummy & Elvira, why don't you put your money where your mouth is?

I suspect you gutless wonders would be clambering on the first plane back after a couple days here.
You haven't answered my previous post...perhaps you overlooked it.

Have you ever lived outside the UK?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post

But health care (or lack thereof) has to be the worst, oh and the flags and the small children reciting the pledge each day and going on about how free they are and how lucky they are to be Americans.
The sad thing is at one time that was probably true. the US sounds like an amazing place to have lived in the mid 20th century and at different times in it's past compared to the rest of the world. But now the rest of the world has moved on, caught up and in some ways surpassed what the US used to offer. It's really hard to see the advantages now.

Because I'm kiwi I can apparently go in that green card lottery thing, some friends were asking me why I dont' want to, and I said I honestly don't think my quality of life would be better there. Mainly because of healthcare costs and also public schooling here in BC is so good, I think it would be hard to replicate that easily. I have too many American friends struggling with healthcare, houses underwater, taxes etc...of course there are good things about the US, but at my stage of life with a kid, it's more about social services than perceived "opportunity".
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
You haven't answered my previous post...perhaps you overlooked it.

Have you ever lived outside the UK?
No. But I have spent so much time in the US it will not be a culture shock as has been speculated.

I recognise the hypocrisy of those people who are sat in newly adopted countries looking through rose tinted glasses about the home they left behind whilst all the time complaining about their current life. Do what Im doing, I don't like the place this country has become, so Im leaving. Thats my opinion and Im entitled to it.

If they don't like where they are, they simply get up and leave. Thats their choice. They aren t doing so because they choose to stay for reason x, y and z.

Im glad the two individuals in question are leaving the US to come back to the UK, because they will obviously be happier here. Though I would say, every years you have millions of people wanting to go the US and there are record numbers leaving the UK to go anywhere but.

These individuals are entitled to their opinion but interestingly, they sit there thousands of miles away and criticise my opinion. They chose in the first place to move to the US, after all.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Record numbers of the over-55s want to move abroad because they are fed up with Britain's soaring crime rates, its creaking economy and the rotten weather.

Research by the Foreign Office has revealed that just over four in ten of those approaching retirement are considering moving abroad.
<snip>

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0hQx6UERs

Last edited by Sue; Mar 7th 2010 at 4:24 pm. Reason: Please only quote a couple of paragraphs. Thx
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Move for your own reasons, not because the Daily Mail tells you to.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Record numbers of the over-55s want to move abroad because they are fed up with Britain................
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0hQx6UERs
Darling, you really should post in the Barbie - your (borrowed) pearls of wisdom are wasted here...
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:38 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
Darling, you really should post in the Barbie - your (borrowed) pearls of wisdom are wasted here...
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

No. But I have spent so much time in the US it will not be a culture shock as has been speculated.

Yes, but the rest of the States isn't like Disneyworld.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Real life isn't like a holiday, living somewhere day in day out and having to work and live with the system soon makes things a lot more real than a couple of weeks in Florida each year.
Some of us ended up here through pure chance I didn't go looking to move to another country, I was very happy with my UK life before I moved.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:05 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

France and Spain don't like the influx of Brits..and other nationalities.

They too don't recognized their country of yesteryear.

There's no WELCOME MAT...
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
Real life isn't like a holiday, living somewhere day in day out and having to work and live with the system soon makes things a lot more real than a couple of weeks in Florida each year.
Some of us ended up here through pure chance I didn't go looking to move to another country, I was very happy with my UK life before I moved.
Who said I spent two weeks in Florida every year? As you know sweet **** all about what I have done, where I have been, my circumstances, my career or in fact anything what have you, are you in a position to judge? As it goes, over the many years I have spent huge amounts of time in the US.

But so what, its no matter.

Move back here to the UK and leave the US so that the many folks like me who actually do want to live a capitalist system can enjoy the opportunities that you have failed to take.

Rather than whining about healthcare and the education system that your kids are raping, pack your bags and get the hell back to the shithole that is now the UK. You're more than welcome to it. Turn the lights out while youre at it.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:26 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Who said I spent two weeks in Florida every year? As you know sweet **** all about what I have done, where I have been, my circumstances, my career or in fact anything what have you, are you in a position to judge? As it goes, over the many years I have spent huge amounts of time in the US.

But so what, its no matter.

Move back here to the UK and leave the US so that the many folks like me who actually do want to live a capitalist system can enjoy the opportunities that you have failed to take.

Rather than whining about healthcare and the education system that your kids are raping, pack your bags and get the hell back to the shithole that is now the UK. You're more than welcome to it. Turn the lights out while youre at it.
and I trust you will be renouncing your UK citizenship at the earliest opportunity.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elfman View Post
and I trust you will be renouncing your UK citizenship at the earliest opportunity.
Matter of fact, I will.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:29 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Matter of fact, I will.
Good
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute

looks like theres gonna be another shocked uk beater who sticks 2 fingers up at the country when leaving for the first time then quietly slinks back when realising moving abroad to live isnt all its cracked up to be
( ginblossom )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.