Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Mar 6th 2010, 4:50 am
  #601  
The Kwisatz Haderach
 
Mummy in the foothills's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 8,067
Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
Didn't you have a bit of a run-in with the Library Committee

I thought I was a pretty hardened PTA stalwart/school governor before I moved here, but *nothing* could have prepared me for the tediousness of PTA meetings here
Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
It just gets worse and worse - a 1/2 hour pre-meeting on the by-laws which once again achieved nothing, followed by a further 2 hour meeting about procedure, again getting nowhere. Eventually walked out after hideous old bat kept shouting me down with 'I can't hear you' (her standard response to anything she doesn't like).

My normally mild-mannered husband is at his wits' end with the pettyfogging crap at his workplace.
OH god yes, the HOA and the PTA It makes your head spin, and the drama, I thought we all left high school years ago.

Dh is a union worker, 5 years now and I think it's really starting to do a number on his head. The ridiculous things that go on.

But health care (or lack thereof) has to be the worst, oh and the flags and the small children reciting the pledge each day and going on about how free they are and how lucky they are to be Americans.
And taxes, OMG the taxes, they call them fees, and add them to the cost of all my bills it seems, hell if it quacks like a duck I call it a duck.
Oh god get me outta here!! I'm stranded in California at the mercy of a broken state.
Mummy in the foothills is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:06 am
  #602  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
quoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 8,339
quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Ginblossom View Post
Tons of interesting comments here. One of the reasons we are emigrating to the US is just to escape the toilet the UK has become.

Even today I was in the Cotswolds on business ( I don't live there) which is a lovely place generally and there was many examples of the chav sociopaths mentioned previously in the thread. Places that I have visited on a number of occasions being overrun by the utterly selfish, ill-mannered and inconsiderate.

Dont get me wrong, nowhere is perfect, but ask yourself this - what kind of country has Britain become? There is a complete lack of social cohesion which most people face every day. Yes there are oddspots where the neighbours are all lovely and its all middle-class and safe, but they are now rare and diminishing. The reality for most people is dealing with ever increasing incidents of both antisocial behaviour and petty bureaucracy.

More and more are finding that their work brings them reducing financial reward commensurate with their lifestyles. More and more are finding that the police are impotent and disinterested for one. More and more are finding that the common civility and manners they were familiar with have long disappeared, crushed under the groaning weight of multiculturalism and a complete lack of individual responsibility.

Is it any wonder that last year saw a record number of people leave the UK? It is not.

Good lord, well dont go to Australia then whatever you do.

Have been in UK nearly 3 weeks now (not long, I know) but done well over 1000 miles of travel and do you know, I cannot see the toilet state anywhere. But of course, I did avoid Bradford, maybe that is where it is.

I see people going about their daily business, happy and friendly (never had so many coincidental chats with some super folk). There are some who have lost jobs but this is a WORLD wide recession and they can be mirrored easily elsewhere in the developed world.

Police bear the brunt of dissatisfaction no matter where in the world you are and come to Aus if you like the "tut tut, slap on the wrist and be a good boy" form of sentencing especially for minor things like child murder and rape. You might get 20 years for calling someone a wog though.

I havent even noticed the street hanging gangs of youths. I have seen (gobsmack) young people give up their seats on a bus for an older person - that would never happen in UK, surely????!

I think perhaps you have perhaps never lived outside the UK for any length of time?
quoll is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:27 am
  #603  
BE Forum Addict
 
ezzie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Castle Hill, Sydney (previously Brum)
Posts: 1,095
ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Hello Quoll! How's the travels then...down the south again by now aren't you? Very envious of course....not sure what a 'toilet state' is - I saw a 'toilet in a state' once, that was in France; one of those hole in the floor jobs. The kids and I all crossed our legs till we got to Belgium!

I do see plenty of hideously depressing eyesores when I go back to the UK and always feel for the poor beggers who have to live there and very thankful that I get to drive on past to some beautifully quaint villages or even half-decent estates.

I know what you mean about the impromptu chats...you must be in seventh heaven. How much longer do you have over there now? Did son get off ok? Scary stuff, though sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

If you get chatting to any teachers/uni admin types...you know the questions to ask for me!

Glad you're finding a way to get onto BE during your travels. Safe travels my dear. Did you have to go through one of those x-ray scanners that removes your clothes?!?!?

Originally Posted by quoll View Post
Have been in UK nearly 3 weeks now (not long, I know) but done well over 1000 miles of travel and do you know, I cannot see the toilet state anywhere. But of course, I did avoid Bradford, maybe that is where it is.

?
ezzie is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:55 am
  #604  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 504
Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Funny how the people bitching at me saying how broken America is and how great Britain is....actually... still live in the US.

If they think its some paradise here, come on over.

Mummy & Elvira, why don't you put your money where your mouth is?

<snip>

Last edited by Sue; Apr 9th 2010 at 1:49 am. Reason: Unnecessary and hurtful.
Ginblossom is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:11 am
  #605  
I don't give a damn
 
Fleaflyfloflum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: In the arms of my family. Heaven...
Posts: 4,980
Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Ginblossom View Post
Funny how the people bitching at me saying how broken America is and how great Britain is....actually... still live in the US.

If they think its some paradise here, come on over.

Mummy & Elvira, why don't you put your money where your mouth is?

I suspect you gutless wonders would be clambering on the first plane back after a couple days here.
Charming..

Well, like quite a few other posters on here, i DID return to the UK after 10yrs away, and guess what?? I'm loving it!! Just because your life is shite and you live in a place you dont like, doesnt mean the rest of us are.
Fleaflyfloflum is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:25 pm
  #606  
Just hanging around
 
Bevm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Back in England
Posts: 1,447
Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Ginblossom View Post
Funny how the people bitching at me saying how broken America is and how great Britain is....actually... still live in the US.

If they think its some paradise here, come on over.

Mummy & Elvira, why don't you put your money where your mouth is?

I suspect you gutless wonders would be clambering on the first plane back after a couple days here.
That's rather hostile, which generally indicates fear. Not entirely sure you're doing the right thing?

Some of the posters have family situations that make it impossible to return at this time. Others are working through the pros and cons. No one ever said coming or going was easy.

I just hope you truly have researched life in the US, all aspects, and are right that it's for you. It is for some, that's certain, and I have many American friends who think it's the best place on earth. One of the big questions is, will your job there provide decent health insurance?

I wish you well, but please don't attack people who aren't saying what you want to hear.

Bev
Bevm is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:42 pm
  #607  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Charleston SC, USA, North Yorkshire, now Malta
Posts: 632
aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Bevm View Post
That's rather hostile, which generally indicates fear. Not entirely sure you're doing the right thing?

Some of the posters have family situations that make it impossible to return at this time. Others are working through the pros and cons. No one ever said coming or going was easy.

I just hope you truly have researched life in the US, all aspects, and are right that it's for you. It is for some, that's certain, and I have many American friends who think it's the best place on earth. One of the big questions is, will your job there provide decent health insurance?

I wish you well, but please don't attack people who aren't saying what you want to hear.

Bev
Bev, I agree. Good reply to Ginblossom. I have lived 26 years in the States, first in Delware, then South Carolina. I have travelled all over it and have a son living in Oregon and one who has lived in New Zealand. I also have visited the UK, other parts of Europe and Asia during my stay here. I hope the poster has some knowledge of other countries, particularly the US if that is where he/she intends emigrating to, otherwise he/she is due for a major culture shock! I will soon be relocating back to Europe (2 more weeks!!) and am going to see what Malta has to offer, as well as good ol' England. As someone else said on another thread, the grass may be greener in another country, but there are always brown spots too - and the bigger the country, the more brown spots!!!! Soooooo happy to be leaving the US!!!!!!!!!!
aes1 is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 4:30 pm
  #608  
The Kwisatz Haderach
 
Mummy in the foothills's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 8,067
Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Ginblossom View Post
Funny how the people bitching at me saying how broken America is and how great Britain is....actually... still live in the US.

If they think its some paradise here, come on over.

Mummy & Elvira, why don't you put your money where your mouth is?

I suspect you gutless wonders would be clambering on the first plane back after a couple days here.
My money will be where my mouth is ASAP, the housing market is down, so unless we want to come back unable to buy a home we have to wait things out, and get the middle child out of high school.
I'll be where the kids are living. From what they say it won't be here and they were born here. They shockingly came to their own conclusions after all they may have been born here and have pretty much seen it all, but are by no means privileged, have seen us struggle financially, mostly due to health care (we once spent 20% of our gross income in a year on our share of bills and monthly payments for health care) That was a bad year Christmas was nearly canceled and we didn't see the grandparent for 5 years straight.
I don't really know how else to say it, but unless you are guaranteed an income exceeding $100,000 a year and live modestly, raising your family in a not so expensive area (here in CA) and fantastic health cover is part of the deal, the US is really a tough place to make it. Jobs just aren't safe, unemployment gets denied to many and is only short term. people are living in tent cities and these are people who have worked all their lives, they may not be accountants or lawyers, but hard worker non the less.
I don't have rose tinted glasses about living anywhere, but if life is going to be a struggle and times are tough I'd rather do it near the family and in a place I feel like is home.
Mummy in the foothills is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:00 pm
  #609  
Homebody
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: HOME
Posts: 23,170
Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
My money will be where my mouth is ASAP, the housing market is down, so unless we want to come back unable to buy a home we have to wait things out, and get the middle child out of high school.
I'll be where the kids are living. From what they say it won't be here and they were born here. They shockingly came to their own conclusions after all they may have been born here and have pretty much seen it all, but are by no means privileged, have seen us struggle financially, mostly due to health care (we once spent 20% of our gross income in a year on our share of bills and monthly payments for health care) That was a bad year Christmas was nearly canceled and we didn't see the grandparent for 5 years straight.
I don't really know how else to say it, but unless you are guaranteed an income exceeding $100,000 a year and live modestly, raising your family in a not so expensive area (here in CA) and fantastic health cover is part of the deal, the US is really a tough place to make it. Jobs just aren't safe, unemployment gets denied to many and is only short term. people are living in tent cities and these are people who have worked all their lives, they may not be accountants or lawyers, but hard worker non the less.
I don't have rose tinted glasses about living anywhere, but if life is going to be a struggle and times are tough I'd rather do it near the family and in a place I feel like is home.
<<<sigh>>>

As soon as my lads finish college I'll be off. At the moment I'm splitting my time 75% US/25% UK but once the youngest graduates it'll be the reverse. So instead of visiting home I'll be visiting DH - hopefully he'll visit me a few times as well

What you are saying about health care is so true. When our oldest had to come off our insurance he went without for a while because there was no way he could afford a private policy. One of his brothers is graduating this summer and I reckon the chances of him finding a job that provides insurance is as good as nil. Youngest has a pre-existing condition which will preclude him getting insurance once he graduates (unless a miracle happens and Obama manages to push through some meaningful reform......... - I am not holding my breath...)..

And I wonder why it is that if you google "tent cities", the only non-USA page that comes up is Haiti?

http://www.oprah.com/showinfo/Tent-C...Special-Report

Scary stuff...
Elvira is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:12 pm
  #610  
The Kwisatz Haderach
 
Mummy in the foothills's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 8,067
Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
<<<sigh>>>

As soon as my lads finish college I'll be off. At the moment I'm splitting my time 75% US/25% UK but once the youngest graduates it'll be the reverse. So instead of visiting home I'll be visiting DH - hopefully he'll visit me a few times as well

What you are saying about health care is so true. When our oldest had to come off our insurance he went without for a while because there was no way he could afford a private policy. One of his brothers is graduating this summer and I reckon the chances of him finding a job that provides insurance is as good as nil. Youngest has a pre-existing condition which will preclude him getting insurance once he graduates (unless a miracle happens and Obama manages to push through some meaningful reform......... - I am not holding my breath...)..

And I wonder why it is that if you google "tent cities", the only non-USA page that comes up is Haiti?

http://www.oprah.com/showinfo/Tent-C...Special-Report

Scary stuff...
This one is a couple of hours from us, and still hits the news locally quite often. Most don't hit the news, we drive past one on the freeway about 45 mins from us when we go to the nearest big city to shop. they are between the trees and at the edge of the river, next to a freeway, a man was hit by a car wandering about there a few months back.
Mummy in the foothills is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:24 pm
  #611  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
quoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 8,339
quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Thank goodness for iPhones with Little Chef wifi!
Am in Dorset at the mo having spent afternoon with long time friends. Somerset Levels tomorrow with more friends and deepest Cornwall for genealogy thereafter.

Can recommend sygic for iPhone for anyone venturing over - its been great for the final few miles of out of the way places.

Lots of infrastructure development going on here unlike our own stimulating activity in roof spaces.

My biggest beef is that several of the English Heritage sites I had my eye on are shut at this time of year! Bah humbug, will have to come back another time

Originally Posted by ezzie View Post
Hello Quoll! How's the travels then...down the south again by now aren't you? Very envious of course....not sure what a 'toilet state' is - I saw a 'toilet in a state' once, that was in France; one of those hole in the floor jobs. The kids and I all crossed our legs till we got to Belgium!

I do see plenty of hideously depressing eyesores when I go back to the UK and always feel for the poor beggers who have to live there and very thankful that I get to drive on past to some beautifully quaint villages or even half-decent estates.

I know what you mean about the impromptu chats...you must be in seventh heaven. How much longer do you have over there now? Did son get off ok? Scary stuff, though sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

If you get chatting to any teachers/uni admin types...you know the questions to ask for me!

Glad you're finding a way to get onto BE during your travels. Safe travels my dear. Did you have to go through one of those x-ray scanners that removes your clothes?!?!?
quoll is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:38 pm
  #612  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Ginblossom View Post
Funny how the people bitching at me saying how broken America is and how great Britain is....actually... still live in the US.

If they think its some paradise here, come on over.
Exactly...we know what we're talking about. By all means try it for yourself, THEN lecture us.

We are going back ASAP.

Yours, 'a gutless wonder'
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:39 pm
  #613  
Homebody
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: HOME
Posts: 23,170
Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by quoll View Post
My biggest beef is that several of the English Heritage sites I had my eye on are shut at this time of year! Bah humbug, will have to come back another time


Elvira is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:39 pm
  #614  
I don't give a damn
 
Fleaflyfloflum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: In the arms of my family. Heaven...
Posts: 4,980
Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by quoll View Post
Thank goodness for iPhones with Little Chef wifi!
Am in Dorset at the mo having spent afternoon with long time friends. Somerset Levels tomorrow with more friends and deepest Cornwall for genealogy thereafter.

Can recommend sygic for iPhone for anyone venturing over - its been great for the final few miles of out of the way places.

Lots of infrastructure development going on here unlike our own stimulating activity in roof spaces.

My biggest beef is that several of the English Heritage sites I had my eye on are shut at this time of year! Bah humbug, will have to come back another time
I was thinking you might be interested in this Quoll. Maybe not this trip as i dont know how long you are there, but for the future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tickets/

Most tickets are free if you get them and can be all over UK not just BBC centre in London.

Another one is Applause.com

You sign up for whatever interests you and if you are lucky enough to be picked you get free tickets.
Fleaflyfloflum is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:48 pm
  #615  
Homebody
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: HOME
Posts: 23,170
Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
This one is a couple of hours from us, and still hits the news locally quite often. Most don't hit the news, we drive past one on the freeway about 45 mins from us when we go to the nearest big city to shop. they are between the trees and at the edge of the river, next to a freeway, a man was hit by a car wandering about there a few months back.
What is truly scary is that the people living in these tent cities aren't "down-and-outs" - just ordinary folk who lost their jobs and homes. There doesn't appear to be any coherent safety net once the unemployment benefit runs out.

I told a few of my friends back home about these places and most did not seem to believe me.
Elvira is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.