Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Yes. We returned to the UK on boxing day last year with the intention of remaining for good. I think it was around day 6 that my huz sat bolt upright in bed at 3am and announced that we needed to have an emergency meeting, right there and then. We were back in the USA first week of January.
The most ridiculous, hardest, physically exhausting, expensive, emotionally disturbing and fastest ping-pong I have ever heard of and unfortunately, it was ours.
BLIMEY who wanted to go back to the Uk and what rationale did you have for returning to the US?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point

No kidding --- that's a pretty amazing ping-pong.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

SueB, really enjoyed reading your post - very inspiring! Yes, ping-ponging is expensive. Have done it many times. Went back to the UK for a holiday last year and initially thought it great - even having arrived with no luggage as the airline had left mine in Dubai, and was freezing in my T-shirt on a January afternoon. Then, after a few weeks I began to appreciate NZ and the softer approach to things there. The UK seemed much harder than before. Yes, Jeremy Kyle makes you want to give up right there and then!

Although, the UK has many lovely places, and we've lived in some of the best, it didn't seem to gel with us any more. I guess we've just moved on. It's deceptively enticing, and that's why we've gone back before. However, everything does change.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:27 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I have been back almost 12 months now and don't regret it at all.

I would sooner be cold and get wrapped up to get warm, than to be stinkin' hot with no way of cooling down. Hopping from your a/c car to the a/c supermarket, give me the cold any day!!

And as for Jeremy Kyle, well just don't watch it!! I don't (well only sometimes LOL!!) No different to Jerry Springer, Maury, Ricki Lake et al and I am sure if Australia or NZ had the equivalent show there would be just as many chavs coming out of the woodwork.

Funnily enough, unlike the above poster, I find England much gentler than the harshness of Australia!! Everybody has their own perspective.........
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:45 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have been back almost 12 months now and don't regret it at all.

I would sooner be cold and get wrapped up to get warm, than to be stinkin' hot with no way of cooling down. Hopping from your a/c car to the a/c supermarket, give me the cold any day!!

And as for Jeremy Kyle, well just don't watch it!! I don't (well only sometimes LOL!!) No different to Jerry Springer, Maury, Ricki Lake et al and I am sure if Australia or NZ had the equivalent show there would be just as many chavs coming out of the woodwork.

Funnily enough, unlike the above poster, I find England much gentler than the harshness of Australia!! Everybody has their own perspective.........
And you live in a beautiful and unspoiled part of the country.
Congrats.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
This may shock a few people (those who remember me anyhow!), but I deeply regret my decision to come back to the UK. We were in Australia for a year and honestly think we didn't give it long enough. At the time I swore that it wasn't just homesickness and that we had weighed things up and decided that we preferred our lives in the UK. When people said to me, 'it's only homesickness, give it longer, you'll get through it' I felt thoroughly patronised - but guess what? They were right.

Eight months back in England and I now realise that I came home for other people, not for me. The irony is that several of my closest relationships are now in tatters since being home. My one of my very best friends let me down very badly and hurt me deeply and I have almost no relationship with my Dad now. I don't know if it was them that changed or me, being away from my (rather oppressive) family actually felt quite liberating for me and I made friends in Aus who accepted me for being me. I never had to compete, no-one cared how much my husband earns or what clothes I wear, or what gym I go to (I don't go to any anymore!). I think what has really changed about me though is that I am just not prepared to take people's shit anymore.

I have always (in my husbands words) been a bit of a mug when it comes to F&F and now that I actually stand up for myself when they treat me without respect, they don't like it! I have been deeply hurt that certain relationships are now distant or have ended completely and I wonder everyday why I bothered coming back for these people.

Now I think every day about how different things could be if we'd just stuck it out a while. Don't get me wrong, we are trying really hard to build a new life back in England, but whereas my husband sees it as 'well, that's that done, door closed, get on with it', I still seem to be struggling to adapt. I notice everything - the litter here is disgusting (sounds trivial, but it actually really gets me down), I am usually the only English speaking person I can hear in the Supermarket and the UK seems to be breeding it's own underclass at a rate of knots! Jeremy Kyle need never be out of a job!

Don't get me wrong, there are still things and people I love in the UK, but in hindsight (oh, what a wonderful thing!) I think a holiday home would have put a lot of thing into perspective for me. So for all those still contemplating coming home after a short while - please think long and hard, it's a painful process and you may well have changed while being away - and others may not be able to cope with that........
I remember reading your posts about going back and how you were all looking forward to the move , you are right though I do think being away can change you in some ways and others do find it hard to cope . I have been away so long that I cant relate in the same way to peoples life here and it makes me feel so out of place here , I dont have any history here now I think I have become much more aussie than I thought .
Good luck to you at least you know others understand do you think you will stay here
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

bobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the rough

the main problem with the UK right now is the economy. there are very few decent jobs going. even temp jobs have 200 to 500 applicants per position, 90 percent of them being unemployed. there is even too much competition for volunteer positions.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by whitesand
SueB, really enjoyed reading your post - very inspiring! Yes, ping-ponging is expensive. Have done it many times. Went back to the UK for a holiday last year and initially thought it great - even having arrived with no luggage as the airline had left mine in Dubai, and was freezing in my T-shirt on a January afternoon. Then, after a few weeks I began to appreciate NZ and the softer approach to things there. The UK seemed much harder than before. Yes, Jeremy Kyle makes you want to give up right there and then!

Although, the UK has many lovely places, and we've lived in some of the best, it didn't seem to gel with us any more. I guess we've just moved on. It's deceptively enticing, and that's why we've gone back before. However, everything does change.
Hi Whitesand

I would have died with just a T-Shirt - no fun what so ever. I think that we have different priorities as we get older and that moving around makes you appreciate the good things in life - like weather and scenery, pace of life etc. We are just so lucky that we have choices in where we live etc.

Enjoy NZ!

Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
This may shock a few people (those who remember me anyhow!), but I deeply regret my decision to come back to the UK. We were in Australia for a year and honestly think we didn't give it long enough. At the time I swore that it wasn't just homesickness and that we had weighed things up and decided that we preferred our lives in the UK. When people said to me, 'it's only homesickness, give it longer, you'll get through it' I felt thoroughly patronised - but guess what? They were right.

Eight months back in England and I now realise that I came home for other people, not for me. The irony is that several of my closest relationships are now in tatters since being home. My one of my very best friends let me down very badly and hurt me deeply and I have almost no relationship with my Dad now. I don't know if it was them that changed or me, being away from my (rather oppressive) family actually felt quite liberating for me and I made friends in Aus who accepted me for being me. I never had to compete, no-one cared how much my husband earns or what clothes I wear, or what gym I go to (I don't go to any anymore!). I think what has really changed about me though is that I am just not prepared to take people's shit anymore.

I have always (in my husbands words) been a bit of a mug when it comes to F&F and now that I actually stand up for myself when they treat me without respect, they don't like it! I have been deeply hurt that certain relationships are now distant or have ended completely and I wonder everyday why I bothered coming back for these people.

Now I think every day about how different things could be if we'd just stuck it out a while. Don't get me wrong, we are trying really hard to build a new life back in England, but whereas my husband sees it as 'well, that's that done, door closed, get on with it', I still seem to be struggling to adapt. I notice everything - the litter here is disgusting (sounds trivial, but it actually really gets me down), I am usually the only English speaking person I can hear in the Supermarket and the UK seems to be breeding it's own underclass at a rate of knots! Jeremy Kyle need never be out of a job!

Don't get me wrong, there are still things and people I love in the UK, but in hindsight (oh, what a wonderful thing!) I think a holiday home would have put a lot of thing into perspective for me. So for all those still contemplating coming home after a short while - please think long and hard, it's a painful process and you may well have changed while being away - and others may not be able to cope with that........
So sorry to hear that you are finding it hard to get back on your feet in UK - I remember how very unhappy you were in Adelaide and how much you were looking forward to returning. I think that you probably have a touch of the Curse of the Expat - destined never to be completely happy anywhere for whatever reason. You may well never have got over the "homesick" phase, you may think you might have but you may not have done so and would have spent the past year being miserable in Adelaide as you were before you left. It's a really uncomfortable position to be in.

Have you thought about moving somewhere else in UK? Away from the deadly rellies may give you a new lease on life and bring back a little of the sense of adventure that you may be looking for.

A holiday home may not have solved your problems either - I come home every year and leaving UK gets harder and harder each time so you may have loved it for your holiday. I have absolutely no idea how I would feel if we were to move here - I am pretty sure that I would be in 7th heaven and it would be the best thing we could do but I havent done it and with DH the way he is, am not likely to do it. I know that I would have no problem finding a place to settle here - anywhere between Lands End and John O'Groats would do it really! (Apart from Bradford, I couldnt stomach that!)

One hesitates to say give it time but do give it time and remember why you left Aus!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
So sorry to hear that you are finding it hard to get back on your feet in UK - I remember how very unhappy you were in Adelaide and how much you were looking forward to returning. I think that you probably have a touch of the Curse of the Expat - destined never to be completely happy anywhere for whatever reason. You may well never have got over the "homesick" phase, you may think you might have but you may not have done so and would have spent the past year being miserable in Adelaide as you were before you left. It's a really uncomfortable position to be in.

Have you thought about moving somewhere else in UK? Away from the deadly rellies may give you a new lease on life and bring back a little of the sense of adventure that you may be looking for.

A holiday home may not have solved your problems either - I come home every year and leaving UK gets harder and harder each time so you may have loved it for your holiday. I have absolutely no idea how I would feel if we were to move here - I am pretty sure that I would be in 7th heaven and it would be the best thing we could do but I havent done it and with DH the way he is, am not likely to do it. I know that I would have no problem finding a place to settle here - anywhere between Lands End and John O'Groats would do it really! (Apart from Bradford, I couldnt stomach that!)

One hesitates to say give it time but do give it time and remember why you left Aus!
Don't you think also alot come back to UK for family reasons, then when the family arn't in their faces 24/7 they get upset and say they want to move back to OZ.
I couldn't and wouldn't move country just because family members piss me off. I'd just stay away from them, or move area.
I agree that once you move about you search for perfection, can't find it, so move about again...resulting in never happy. My area is far from perfect, but we make the most of it and are happy. I don't want family in my face all the time either, but knowing they are nearby makes one hell of a difference
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbarker12345
the main problem with the UK right now is the economy. there are very few decent jobs going. even temp jobs have 200 to 500 applicants per position, 90 percent of them being unemployed. there is even too much competition for volunteer positions.
Is that going on your personal experience?, I'm interested to know. Tonnes of jobs in these parts. My business also seems to be expanding rapidly. Maybe it's down to what area you live in?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:48 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Is that going on your personal experience?, I'm interested to know. Tonnes of jobs in these parts. My business also seems to be expanding rapidly. Maybe it's down to what area you live in?
????
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/501...Mail_job_fair/
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

bobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
essex, within an hour from london on a train. its dire.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:36 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
Drove up north yesterday through a couple of snow storms to a somewhat chilly but still quite bright Durham (today) now sitting in the Maccas at Catterick waiting for DS to appear. Thank goodness for free wifi huh. Spent the morning visiting rellies and cuddling the newest arrival. It's all good! Got my Damart thermals on though I confess!

Sorry to go off topic there but I am still in fan-bloody-tastic! mode!!
Hi Quoll,
This is Mister Sully (with the OH's permission). We hope you are having a lovely time on your holidays. Canberra had another big downpour this morning, so it is quite steamy now. The tomatoes are looking bedraggled and the zucchini's have turned into marrows. Mind you, the chutney is in the jars.
We have just arrived back from our cruise, where we were able to talk with others from Oz (on holidays) and others from the UK (visiting Oz). Much of our chat was on grandkids and leaving them, or distance apart. I think we will still abandon them to the colonies and return to the UK when I retire in 2011.
We plan (yet another) visit to the UK later this year and will spend much of it looking at house prices I am sure.
My concern on a permanent return to the UK is becoming an economic conscript should we not settle and find it too expensive to 'ping' back and start again as a self funded retiree/pensioner. I can live anywhere (as long as there is a golf course nearby) and I remain healthy.
You seem like-minded with Mrs Sully, and maybe when you do catch up for coffee, you will become friends and you can pass on my tomato chutney recipes to your husband.
Its the first day of Autumn tomorrow, so the cooler weather is on its way. Have a great trip. Look forward to more of your posts.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point

Ugh, grimness abounds -- lately it seems that everywhere I go/look I just see yet another gaggle of grey-faced sociopathic teenagers with absolutely no sense at all of the existence of other people in the world. I know there are exceptions on both sides, but the kids back in the States seem so well-adjusted and considerate by comparison. I have started having nightmares about my own kids (currently aged 5 and 2) swigging lager and chucking crisp packets around some windswept playground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.