Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

ha ha, yes i re read it and it looks like a really stupid thing to say.

actually it was a stupid thing to say, thanks for highlighting it....

Nothing wrong with the girls downunder, i just wanted an english girl...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:19 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
ha ha, yes i re read it and it looks like a really stupid thing to say.

actually it was a stupid thing to say, thanks for highlighting it....

Nothing wrong with the girls downunder, i just wanted an english girl...
its certainly a problem that I'm sure many would like to have had
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:34 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

sas-lou, that's a rotten situation and I can imagine what a spin you're in. But I assume you still have a home with your husband. If I were you, I'd not let him psyche me into moving. What was the comedy where they divided the house with red sticky tape? He bears a lot of responsibility for your situation and it seems he knows it, so let him pay for his lack of thought and care.

Again some questions. I'm a great one for questions! I ask myself them all the time to help me sort out my mind.

What work were you doing back in the UK? Is it something particularly difficult to find now? What else can you do to earn a living?

Can you find a decent job in Canada? One thing about Ottawa -- the government keeps spending money no matter what!

If you had a decent job in Canada, would you want to stay? Put aside the boys for a moment. You.

You don't want to go back to Leicester. Where would you like to go? Can you? If not, why not?

Try to take a moment or a hundred to breathe deeply, tell yourself you're strong, able, and will be okay, and think about what you really want in life. Then go for it.

Best wishes,

Bev
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Hi, i am sorry to bother you all, but has anyone returned to the UK after a marriage breakdown in a foreign country with 2 kids in toe and still regretted it.

I was advised by the Canadian forum to visit you lot.

I came to Canada on 8/12/08 as my Canadian husband sponsored me and my 2 boys (13 and 11) .. he has now told me the marriage is over and i really shouldn't of come in the first place, he felt more guilty about the kids than me.

Im in a very bad place emotionally at the moment, and although i know that by returning to the UK i must start from scratch and even put myself in a hostel with my boys (if that is allowed and my mums house is far to small) and hope that i can get a council property. I am also torn as the boys love it here. I only have $13000 to get on with and speaking to an housing organisation yesterday i was told that money would only last me about 4 months. Granted rent in Ottawa is expensive. But i just dont want to go back and start with nothing .. I am from Leicester and it is a shithole, my ex work colleagues are struggling to find work and are now applying for anything and everything.

Unfortunately my husband although sponsoring us, has to pay for us for so many years, he doesnt have a great paying job here so asking for his help is out of the question

I have a lottery ticket for tomorrow so i can hoping my numbers come up and this will not be an issue .. not holding my breath though.

Thanks in advance

Hey dont give in that easily Sas, i know thats easy for me to say,but for christs sake you went through so much to get here.. Now slog it out girl,prove to every one you can hack it alone here,, get a job even 2 if it means it, take every cent ex must pay and make it work
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:12 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Hi, i am sorry to bother you all, but has anyone returned to the UK after a marriage breakdown in a foreign country with 2 kids in toe and still regretted it.

I was advised by the Canadian forum to visit you lot.

I came to Canada on 8/12/08 as my Canadian husband sponsored me and my 2 boys (13 and 11) .. he has now told me the marriage is over and i really shouldn't of come in the first place, he felt more guilty about the kids than me.

Im in a very bad place emotionally at the moment, and although i know that by returning to the UK i must start from scratch and even put myself in a hostel with my boys (if that is allowed and my mums house is far to small) and hope that i can get a council property. I am also torn as the boys love it here. I only have $13000 to get on with and speaking to an housing organisation yesterday i was told that money would only last me about 4 months. Granted rent in Ottawa is expensive. But i just dont want to go back and start with nothing .. I am from Leicester and it is a shithole, my ex work colleagues are struggling to find work and are now applying for anything and everything.

Unfortunately my husband although sponsoring us, has to pay for us for so many years, he doesnt have a great paying job here so asking for his help is out of the question

I have a lottery ticket for tomorrow so i can hoping my numbers come up and this will not be an issue .. not holding my breath though.

Thanks in advance
If your not happy there sas better to bite the bullet and go now no sence in prolonging your bad experience Canada is not a great place if you on your own ! I was in canada years ago in a serious relationship got myself a good job was offered permanent status then my world fell apart so i pulled the pin and left sure canada is a beautiful country but to be honest its people that make your life not the place so i never had any regrets best thing i ever did even though i went back to london red faced looking back im glad my world fell apart because canada was not me if that makes any sense .
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:48 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
God, you poor thing!!

I felt so sorry for your reading your post.

I have read so many similar stories to yours from women all over the world.
In fact, I think i have finally found something i want to do when i get back to UK. Create some form of help service for women in your situation. There doesnt seem to be a lot of support out there!

This might sound controversial, but in all honesty, why the hell should you have to sit in a foreign land trying to pay back a scumbag mans debts AND try to raise these kids by yourself? I would run back to England just like he did, and if anyone contacts you about HIS debts tell them he left you and you are not responsible for him. :curse:

I would sell off what belongings you cant fit in your car on ebay and drive the hell out of there! Your first priority is you and your children not HIS debts!, and you will get far more help and support back in UK by the sounds of it.
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie Wickham
Help Me
I Live in germany. In May last year, my husband left me with 3 children and no money. He also ran up so much debt and did not pay his taxes which was why he ran away back to England leaving us here.

I am now left with all his bills amounting to a fair sum of money.
I can''t get work because my children are so young, and i have no family support for when they are ill (the reason why i lost my last job)

Last year, i did the pros & cons and decided that this was a better country to live in. But all my decisions were based on my children. Open spaces, lack of crime, kids can play out on the streets safely etc etc.

But the reality is, I don't speak german. I am very very lonely. As soon as i get a job, any money earned after paying my bills will go to pay back all the debt (which is amounting as we speak, as they keep taking me to court, and i cannot go and represent myself, because i don't speak German and cannot afford an interpreter)
I live on Social Security money here - I have no savings (part of the reason why i didn't go back last year)

My life is dismal here, and i think i should/want return to the UK. I know I would have to be homeless and go to a hostel, because i dont have extended family or anyone to bail me out). But .....i will be able to help my children with their school work, I will be able to get a job - eventually. I could do voluntary work. I will be able to get glasses (which i need desperately, and you cannot get them here from S.Security).

I was so glad to have found this site, because i can't get any advice here, no-one understands my situation. All my friends are german, so they want me to stay (to improve their English - cynic that I am) but i have to rely on so much charity and handouts from friends, i cannot be self sufficient, I even have to have friends read my letters, and i have to accept anything that is handed to me, because i cant complain (in german)

I have American friends who help me out, but they all leave (Army or Airforce) so can't keep friends who speak my language.
I know the situation is really bleak in Uk, but i would rather be miserable in english (at least i can complain) than in german. I'm so confused.

Second question is - how would i get back to uk. Would i have to leave everything i have here, and just go with my little car and a few clothes. Is there any support agencies out there that could help me with removals/transportation - i dread the thought of starting my life over with nothing and 3 kids. I'm 41 and tired.
Does anybody have any advice for me.

Anne-Marie
Yes you have been left in the lurch you poor thing !! With the debts maybe you can claim bankruptcy and have all your debts written off if they have that kind of thing there,untill you sort out the money thing you will always have them banging on your door i still get demanding letters addressed to the last tenant with real threats of court action going back more than 7yrs .....but the best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to go where you think you would be happier and try start afresh its never easy at the start but youll be glad you did it when looking back. Goodluck .
Old Jan 17th 2009, 5:39 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Just to give feedback on this thread, a lot of people sent me PM's with different comments some of them good, some of them not so good. Mostly people were very happy to be back in the UK. Some were undecided and a few were clearly planning to ping pong back to wherever they'd left again feeling that the UK wasn't for them.
Some people who went back for family were very aggrieved that after the novelty wore off, their families carried on as normal as though they weren't there. I guess the moral here is don't make family the only reason for returning.

On the whole though, most people were relieved and settled to be home.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of

Nope dont regret a thing the UK is FAB! Eat my shorts! to the folk on here who dis the UK! The cultural diversity, the NHS, the council (even though they only empty my bin once a fortnight), the freedom, the mad (hysterical) political correctness, my dog and his freedom to go anywhere he likes (seriously infringed in canada)and sniff whatever he wants (he is well trained though) my back garden with no scary what the hell is that (racoons, was white - not obviously a raccoon), the nearness of every thing if i want to bowl its there ditto swimming, the grass, the trees, the hp sauce!, the jones's, the maddness, the sheer Britishness, Jeremy Kyle, attitude, Government, politics, PUBS!, roast beef and yorkshire puds, earning decent money, spending said money and getting quality stuff, Qualificatons that mean something, choice in supermarkets, veg with peel and dirt on, clothes that are in fashion not from the back of a stepford wifes wardrobe, CURRY (ok not british but essential to life), mates who know what spuds are, jokes that are funny, People who 'get' me, Argos, Newspapers that are totally crap, TV that is good, A car that doesn't kill three polar bears everytime i go out in it, people who care that the icecaps are melting, the truly mental royal family and the fact that the papers tell us their every move, a mobile phone that i can afford to use, anyway thats what i came back for sorry canada for me you just dont got what it takes!!!!!! LONG LIVE BRITAIN
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moosey2canada
Nope dont regret a thing the UK is FAB! Eat my shorts! to the folk on here who dis the UK! The cultural diversity, the NHS, the council (even though they only empty my bin once a fortnight), the freedom, the mad (hysterical) political correctness, my dog and his freedom to go anywhere he likes (seriously infringed in canada)and sniff whatever he wants (he is well trained though) my back garden with no scary what the hell is that (racoons, was white - not obviously a raccoon), the nearness of every thing if i want to bowl its there ditto swimming, the grass, the trees, the hp sauce!, the jones's, the maddness, the sheer Britishness, Jeremy Kyle, attitude, Government, politics, PUBS!, roast beef and yorkshire puds, earning decent money, spending said money and getting quality stuff, Qualificatons that mean something, choice in supermarkets, veg with peel and dirt on, clothes that are in fashion not from the back of a stepford wifes wardrobe, CURRY (ok not british but essential to life), mates who know what spuds are, jokes that are funny, People who 'get' me, Argos, Newspapers that are totally crap, TV that is good, A car that doesn't kill three polar bears everytime i go out in it, people who care that the icecaps are melting, the truly mental royal family and the fact that the papers tell us their every move, a mobile phone that i can afford to use, anyway thats what i came back for sorry canada for me you just dont got what it takes!!!!!! LONG LIVE BRITAIN

So let me just get this straight, you're glad to be home and you don't miss Canada?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
So let me just get this straight, you're glad to be home and you don't miss Canada?
What part of that wasn't clear? I love grass coated in a slowly melting frost, i love crispy (yet oddly sunny- not dissimilar to NS)days, I love trees and lushness and rolling green hills, heather, lavender growing in my garden (still smells lush not sure its supposed to in jan), i love the 1 inch of snow that bring us to a standstill,i love rain and the fact i can smell lightening storms (couldnt even smell a hurricane in canada- had to watch the weather like everyone else), i love bin lorries hogging the road (they make me late but hey thats time to think i didn't plan for), i love radio and singing like a mad woman, i love to laugh at myself (and others) and don't mind being ribbed back, i love yorkshire and the lovely warm accent with the absent constenants and low round vowels, i love the pretension and all the 'Hyacinths' out there, I love the potential that embodies the UK, the subtleties of the british way lurking beneath the surface of every exchange and meeting, ok so we can be rash, but we are also forgiving welcoming understanding and compassionate, we are strong, special and unique no nation in the world is quite like the UK, Ok so we have naff bits but blow me we are a Great Nation we are GREAT Britain!!!!!!

RULE BRITAINIA, GOD SAVE THE QUEEN, and all that!
And no i don't work in some gvmt office promoting the UK - I just realised what i had walked away from
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Hey dont give in that easily Sas, i know thats easy for me to say,but for christs sake you went through so much to get here.. Now slog it out girl,prove to every one you can hack it alone here,, get a job even 2 if it means it, take every cent ex must pay and make it work
Sorry but life is too short for the word 'slog' ever to be acted upon, and why do you need to prove anything to anyone, who's counting life is for freedom and joy and mirth not slogging or proving (something you do to bread dough)
But essentially life is for living you only get one go you know!

Be happy
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:56 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I can see where you're coming from, but the word slog does turn me off. Don't see why anyone should choose to slog through anything if they have a choice.

As for proving anything, just as easy to say "prove you can admit a mistake and reverse it before life's a slog."

I can't remember the name of it, but there's a psychological quirk most of us have which says that the more we pay to do something, in money, giving things up, hardship etc, the more we cling to it and refuse to change. If we pay more, we cling to it even more.

It's what hooks people to these internet scams where they ask for a bit of money to release some inheritance. Then a bit more for some paperworks. And it keeps growing until it's thousands, tens of thousands, but by then the person can't admit it's a scam because then they've lost all that money, so they keep on going.

That isn't directed at you, Gremmie. Just that this attachment to things that we've suffered for is well known and can land people in a lot of trouble. "Cut your losses" is sometimes exactly the right thing to do.

Bev
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

What part of that wasn't clear? I love grass coated in a slowly melting frost, i love crispy (yet oddly sunny- not dissimilar to NS)days, I love trees and lushness and rolling green hills, heather, lavender growing in my garden (still smells lush not sure its supposed to in jan), i love the 1 inch of snow that bring us to a standstill,i love rain and the fact i can smell lightening storms (couldnt even smell a hurricane in canada- had to watch the weather like everyone else), i love bin lorries hogging the road (they make me late but hey thats time to think i didn't plan for), i love radio and singing like a mad woman, i love to laugh at myself (and others) and don't mind being ribbed back, i love yorkshire and the lovely warm accent with the absent constenants and low round vowels, i love the pretension and all the 'Hyacinths' out there, I love the potential that embodies the UK, the subtleties of the british way lurking beneath the surface of every exchange and meeting, ok so we can be rash, but we are also forgiving welcoming understanding and compassionate, we are strong, special and unique no nation in the world is quite like the UK, Ok so we have naff bits but blow me we are a Great Nation we are GREAT Britain!!!!!!

And no i don't work in some gvmt office promoting the UK - I just realised what i had walked away from
I think I've got it now
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:03 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, in Britain you can use an expression like "Blow me" and no-one gets offended.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Changing one's job, especially for the better, is not something that can be done just like that.

I didn't leave to get away from the UK, I just met a Canadian woman with 2 kids who became my wife and family.

In the UK: undervalued civil servant treated like something on the sole of your shoe by public, management and government. Living alone in a 100 year old 2 bed terraced house. £400 a month mortgage payments. Salary allowed for two cheap last minute hols a year, low season, about £350 total each time. No spare cash, no savings.

In Canada: £123k equity from UK home enabled purchase of 4 bed detached home and a duplex to rent out providing an income to supplement small pension. Our total income (mortgage free) is barely more than my UK net income after the mortgage (in other words like for like) yet here it goes for four and not one. And I'm not even having to work for it.

In the UK, the house wouldn't have been big enough and the income wouldn't have been enough for two, let alone four.

And all this as a low paid civil servant with a small pension, what with it being based on poor wages and then being reduced further from being taken ten years early.

Most Brits in Canada are probably more highly skilled, highly qualified people, many of whom will have far greater equity in their home than I had and far higher pensions to look forward to than I had and will have greater incomes. I was 3 years away from my pension when I moved over, but my equity still covered the two properties as well as funding that three years.

It may not be impossible to change your life for the better within the UK but it can be a damned sight easier to do that in Canada - if you're prepared to look outside the obvious places.

UK income/capital/housing just about covering the needs for one while employed = income/capital/housing for four in Canada without the need for employment.
Well I was born in the UK,emigrated to Australia with my parents when I was young,grew up there,married and had 3 aussie kids.I decided a few years ago to return to the UK with my kids.I separated from my aussie husband (later divorced)first though.I have to say its the best decision I ever made!Ok my life in Oz was kind of ok.But I had bigger dreams to follow.Since being in the UK my life has improved dramatically.I am now married to a gorgeous english guy,we travel O/S up to 4 times a year (something I never would of been able to afford to do in Oz)we have a fantastic social life,good jobs,nice house,the weather suits my skin (I personally feel you are more confined to stay indoors in Oz,for one it was freezing in winter and too bloody hot out in summer so stuck inside with the air con blasting away 24/7!!!Not fun!!!)Culturally much more interesting as well living here.I do speak with family/friends in Oz quite alot and they never seem to be doing anything exciting?A BBQ is about as exciting as it gets for them??????We go to the theatre,watch alot of live music (so many talented people in this country)go to festivals ect.We have thought about moving back to Oz,but in reality think it would bore us to tears.The only thing I truly miss in Oz is my family!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.