Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Apollo13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Anne-Marie Wickham
My children have been in Germany since they were 1, 2 & 16. They are very polite, sweet children (maybe not the 16yr old) but they have all led sheltered lives since living in Germany. Easy, country life, where everyone is really friendly. Anne-Marie
Hallo Anne-Marie,

Are you sure that going back to the UK is the best thing for you all? Of all of the British people I know who live in Germany - none of them would take their kids back to the UK. You would have to drag most of them kicking and screaming. That says it all really.

As somebody who has lived extensively in both countries (although I don't have any kids), I would tend to agree with them. It might not seem like this to you because your German language skills are causing a major handicap and are preventing you from getting the help you need.

I am wracking my brains and trying to think of some practical advice for you but can't come up with anything mindblowing. I would urge you to post an apeal for advice on Toytown (http://www.toytowngermany.com). It is a discussion forum for Germany's UK-expat population and is divided into geographical areas. There are Toytowners in every corner of Germany.

As far as living in (and leaving!) Germany is concerned, the Toytowners are an extremely well-informed lot. I am sure somebody there will come up with an idea about how to help you. There are also posts which discuss the pros and cons of living in Germany vs living in the UK with kids.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

hitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Presumably back in Marbella
definitely not in Spain...had enough of the land of make believe...all the cowboys and wannabes especially in the marbella banus area...if you believed 1% of what your told over there you might as well live in Disney Land!!!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchw
definitely not in Spain...had enough of the land of make believe...all the cowboys and wannabes especially in the marbella banus area...if you believed 1% of what your told over there you might as well live in Disney Land!!!
I thought it was Disneyland
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:02 am
Just Joined

cezmay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevin747
I thought it was Disneyland
I totally agree with the disney land thing, ive been here 6 years now and cant wait to get back to some kind of a normal life! Here it is land of fake and frauds, most of the english out here have run away from something bad and stab there own kind in the back everytime. Im tired of it all, nowhere to go in the winter as everything is outside, they dont think to build indoor swiming pools or sports centers! everything is aimed at the summer, we do get a winter here, and i think they forget that! Also in july and august you cant go out or do anything because its toooooooo hot, so bring on good old england i cant wait to meet you again.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Anne-Marie Wickham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricket1
My advice might sound a bit harsh but I've been in a similar situation to you so it is intended to help not judge you.

Reading your posts, you've got to get your mind out of 'victim' mode. I know that's hard when you've been treated so badly and let down but these are things you can't change so there's no point dwelling on what caused your situation. That's the first thing. By not allowing yourself to feel victimised, you'll immediately empower yourself.

Secondly, you're talking to the wrong people. If they can't understand you, talk to someone who can. Get on the phone to social services in the UK and pester them until you get some answers and advice. You have children, I believe under UK law, they have to help you.

Once in the UK, you are entitled to help.

OK, next thing I notice is that you seem to be making a lot of excuses for still being in Germany. Is it possible you're afraid to leave in case you make your situation worse? If so, ask yourself, can it get any worse?

You've clearly got access to the internet so if I was in your situation, I'd be on the phone to social services to see what can be done. I hope this helps.
Hi Bev,
Firstly i didn't feel you were judging me at all, sorry if it came across like that, It was a general 'Don't ever get stranded in Germany.... not specific to you. Everyone has been really good about giving me advice, and i do really appreciate it. I may sound like a victim, but that is the last thing i am. It's been such a relief to be able to talk to people about my situation without being judged that i have let off an awful lot of pent up steam, for the first time i have wallowed a little in it, because i have been allowed to. i'm sharing with you how pissed off i am. And i think it is important to share, because anybody through no fault of thir own could end up in my position.
But these letting off steam emails are between frantic research on how i can get back. I'm posting bids for help, i have been researching removal broker companies. I have posted my request on toytownGermany which is also for expats to share a journey with somebody immigrating in. I am advertising myself for work (to pay the fare for my belongings also) Many people have said - sell everything and use the money, but it is important to me that i have some history for my kids, because i am the first person to be creating a new history for my family. There is no history before me.
I have not stopped working through this.
Secondly, I don't need an excuse to stay in Germany, i would love to, for my kids , for my friends (some are the best i've ever had - it was only my friends that kept me from leaving immediately)
It is only the government and beaurocracy that are forcing me to leave, and the fact that i can't stand up for myself. The language barrier is huge and it stops you from being treated with any kind of respect.
I see immigrants in England now in a totally different light!. I cannot physically survive here. Your back is against the wall if you dont speak the language.
And you are 100% right, I can't wait to get back to England, I already know that life couldn't get any worse. I have lived as low as i ever have and been treated the worst that i have been treated and stripped of my dignity and self respect to boot. I have been reduced to a pleading, begging sad person, and that is exactly why i am going back - life couldn't get any worse.
This journey has taught me to be so much more grateful for what i had and what i hope to achieve.
Don't worry, if i gave you all the wrong impression that i was down...and out - no way, thank you for indulging me in my whimpering, but this is the strongest I have ever been, which is why I am able to share.

I only sent my housing application yesterday, so ai am waiting for them to receive it before i make contact....don't worry i'm on it.

Anne-Marie
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bev,
Firstly i didn't feel you were judging me at all, sorry if it came across like that, It was a general 'Don't ever get stranded in Germany.... not specific to you. Everyone has been really good about giving me advice, and i do really appreciate it. I may sound like a victim, but that is the last thing i am. It's been such a relief to be able to talk to people about my situation without being judged that i have let off an awful lot of pent up steam, for the first time i have wallowed a little in it, because i have been allowed to. i'm sharing with you how pissed off i am. And i think it is important to share, because anybody through no fault of thir own could end up in my position.
But these letting off steam emails are between frantic research on how i can get back. I'm posting bids for help, i have been researching removal broker companies. I have posted my request on toytownGermany which is also for expats to share a journey with somebody immigrating in. I am advertising myself for work (to pay the fare for my belongings also) Many people have said - sell everything and use the money, but it is important to me that i have some history for my kids, because i am the first person to be creating a new history for my family. There is no history before me.
I have not stopped working through this.
Secondly, I don't need an excuse to stay in Germany, i would love to, for my kids , for my friends (some are the best i've ever had - it was only my friends that kept me from leaving immediately)
It is only the government and beaurocracy that are forcing me to leave, and the fact that i can't stand up for myself. The language barrier is huge and it stops you from being treated with any kind of respect.
I see immigrants in England now in a totally different light!. I cannot physically survive here. Your back is against the wall if you dont speak the language.
And you are 100% right, I can't wait to get back to England, I already know that life couldn't get any worse. I have lived as low as i ever have and been treated the worst that i have been treated and stripped of my dignity and self respect to boot. I have been reduced to a pleading, begging sad person, and that is exactly why i am going back - life couldn't get any worse.
This journey has taught me to be so much more grateful for what i had and what i hope to achieve.
Don't worry, if i gave you all the wrong impression that i was down...and out - no way, thank you for indulging me in my whimpering, but this is the strongest I have ever been, which is why I am able to share.

I only sent my housing application yesterday, so ai am waiting for them to receive it before i make contact....don't worry i'm on it.

Anne-Marie
Best wishes Anne Marie. Things can only improve for you. Chin up girl!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Apollo13
Hallo Anne-Marie,

Are you sure that going back to the UK is the best thing for you all? Of all of the British people I know who live in Germany - none of them would take their kids back to the UK. You would have to drag most of them kicking and screaming. That says it all really.

As somebody who has lived extensively in both countries (although I don't have any kids), I would tend to agree with them. It might not seem like this to you because your German language skills are causing a major handicap and are preventing you from getting the help you need.

I am wracking my brains and trying to think of some practical advice for you but can't come up with anything mindblowing. I would urge you to post an apeal for advice on Toytown (http://www.toytowngermany.com). It is a discussion forum for Germany's UK-expat population and is divided into geographical areas. There are Toytowners in every corner of Germany.

As far as living in (and leaving!) Germany is concerned, the Toytowners are an extremely well-informed lot. I am sure somebody there will come up with an idea about how to help you. There are also posts which discuss the pros and cons of living in Germany vs living in the UK with kids.

Hope that helps.
Hey Apollo
Thanks for advice. you are right of course, if it weren't for the language barrier, of course i'd stay. Its beautiful and for my kids its the best thing. But at some point they will go to school, from the experiences i had with my eldest who is now 16, its a nightmare (He also has ADHD) so u can imagine trying to explain his behavior. But i have always been a go to the school plays, parents evening (be involved kind of mum) and that was what started the ball rolling for me. My 5 year old would have gone to Grundschule next year, and i wouldn't have been able to help him with his homework.. i do speak German to a degree ( and i understand very well) but that is even more frustrating. because you can understand what they are saying about you to other German people. Its like being in a coma with ur eyes open, where u can't move your lips , only listen. It is humiliating and soul destroying, so my thinking is at least in the UK I can support my kids educationally, to be achievers, and then it wont matter as much that their mum got messed up, because they can work their way out of poverty.
We all know knowledge is power - its what got me out of the gutter and gave me the power to believe i could do/achieve anything. The whole reason why we went to Germany in the first place (unfortunately my husband doesn't have balls quite as big as mine) I'm only 41, I can re-train in England, and still if i'm lucky get a 20 year job with a pension( a little unlikely at minute, but i'm, optimistic) I can set up my own business.....again. But most importantly i can be an active member of the community and support my children.

I am so glad i found this site, becasue i am drawing strengh from talking with people like you, who have a different perspective, and can remind me of the things i may be overlooking in my haste to get back to England. I mostly have German conversation about my position and of course they are terribly bias, reminding me of all that is bad in Uk, so just to talk with Englih people is really empowering me - thank You

Anne-Marie
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:27 am

london cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud of

Hi
I have a question for London cabbie. (sorry, i don't know how to post original thread)
Do not really have time to learn, as I use a friends computer. If I am able to get myself back to England - i will have to decide where i should go.
I want to go within train distance of London, but do not wish to return to South East London - (Was the reason why I left originally, to try and make a better life)
I would like to come back to the Essex area - Maybe Brentwood? I know the stereotype of Essex, i don't believe in stereotypes.
My children have been in Germany since they were 1, 2 & 16. They are very polite, sweet children (maybe not the 16yr old) but they have all led sheltered lives since living in Germany. Easy, country life, where everyone is really friendly. I want to move far enough out of London, to be able to retain a little of this.
Am I being too hopeful. when thinking about Brentwood, should I be looking even further out.
I won't have a car, and my childrens grandparent lives in Hornchurch -
I am only asking as you would probably have an insight into London suburbs and could give me a clue as to where I could head for.
If I am able to return, i will only get 1 opportunity to choose where to move to...until i can establish myself (as i am on my own, that maybe a few years..if ever) so the choice is very important to me.
Can u, or any other person with a valid opinion help?

Thanks for your advice so far people (particulary the army SServices (although i am a civilian , with no military connections at all - haven't tried yet, but will update - for others who may be in my situation - God forbid not)

Anne-Marie
Hi... Well i dont know too much about Brentwood or surrounding areas but i do know that Woodford green, Loughton, and Epping are very nice places and although in Essex they are just on the N/E outskirts of London and served by the central line,( Woodford via Stratford to Liverpool st is roughly 15 mins ), and all of these places are 20 mins by car to Hornechurch.

Wow...what can i say? you just have to get your arse back here with family and people who talk your language Cath/ Graham had the best idea to borrow money or get a loan and worry about it later. I am sure the authorities here will be able to help you ....The very best of luck to you and your family ok
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

canzoet is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=cricket1;6960813]Would love to hear your stories if you moved back to the UK.[/QUOTE

I have moved back a number of times and always wanted to move again. The last time was 30 years ago when I moved to Holland and now have no intention of every returning to live in the U.K. My last trip back was 4 years ago and I realized then that England was history for me.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Been back almost 2 years, (from Oz), no regrets, am home again and at peace. Bliss.

N.B Problems exist the world over...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:41 am
Just Joined

I Have a lot of hills to climb and a huge mountain of paperwork to fufill, but the more i think about it...its all in the mind. When i ask myself - is this the right desision, i have to reply....yesbecasue it is your descion and that means i will make it the right decsion.
I thank God for the strength he is giving me to make this happen.

Looking forward to libraries, communication, sunday newspapers, bacon and mostly being part of a community
Anne-Marie
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

I have moved back to the UK after 9 years of being in Australia and whilst I wouldnt say I have regretted a moment of it I wont be staying for the long haul.

In 9 years I have changed, I am a different person to the one who left and I have a base of friends, contacts and respect in my business dealings in Melbourne.

Coming back to London, i feel all my friends lives have moved on cos they have, i am a little out of touch from being away 9 years and that also means my salary expectations cant be reached when someone 6 years younger wants less and has more contacts..

So, I am trying to make it possible to return. My problem in Aus was the the women, i had so many girlfriends and couldnt make it work due to being so different. I have met a girl, we will get married, we both know so go back much more complete in myself.

Even if you go back and its not the right move after all, so what !! it is only money and, at worst 1-3 years out of your long life so if you need to do it, do it !!!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, i am sorry to bother you all, but has anyone returned to the UK after a marriage breakdown in a foreign country with 2 kids in toe and still regretted it.

I was advised by the Canadian forum to visit you lot.

I came to Canada on 8/12/08 as my Canadian husband sponsored me and my 2 boys (13 and 11) .. he has now told me the marriage is over and i really shouldn't of come in the first place, he felt more guilty about the kids than me.

Im in a very bad place emotionally at the moment, and although i know that by returning to the UK i must start from scratch and even put myself in a hostel with my boys (if that is allowed and my mums house is far to small) and hope that i can get a council property. I am also torn as the boys love it here. I only have $13000 to get on with and speaking to an housing organisation yesterday i was told that money would only last me about 4 months. Granted rent in Ottawa is expensive. But i just dont want to go back and start with nothing .. I am from Leicester and it is a shithole, my ex work colleagues are struggling to find work and are now applying for anything and everything.

Unfortunately my husband although sponsoring us, has to pay for us for so many years, he doesnt have a great paying job here so asking for his help is out of the question

I have a lottery ticket for tomorrow so i can hoping my numbers come up and this will not be an issue .. not holding my breath though.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by sas-lou; Jan 13th 2009 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Hi, i am sorry to bother you all, but has anyone returned to the UK after a marriage breakdown in a foreign country with 2 kids in toe and still regretted it.

I was advised by the Canadian forum to visit you lot.

I came to Canada on 8/12/08 as my Canadian husband sponsored me and my 2 boys (13 and 11) .. he has now told me the marriage is over and i really shouldn't of come in the first place, he felt more guilty about the kids than me.

Im in a very bad place emotionally at the moment, and although i know that by returning to the UK i must start from scratch and even put myself in a hostel with my boys (if that is allowed and my mums house is far to small) and hope that i can get a council property. I am also torn as the boys love it here. I only have $13000 to get on with and speaking to an housing organisation yesterday i was told that money would only last me about 4 months. Granted rent in Ottawa is expensive. But i just dont want to go back and start with nothing .. I am from Leicester and it is a shithole, my ex work colleagues are struggling to find work and are now applying for anything and everything.

Unfortunately my husband although sponsoring us, has to pay for us for so many years, he doesnt have a great paying job here so asking for his help is out of the question

I have a lottery ticket for tomorrow so i can hoping my numbers come up and this will not be an issue .. not holding my breath though.

Thanks in advance
Hello,
My name is Anne-Marie, I am in the same position as you except for that i have 3 kids and no savings.
I am returning to England so if you need help in the steps you ned to take i can help you.
But one thing I have to say, is that i i did not have to return to England i would not. It is only the langage barrier that keeps me from staying here.
A good point that the guy in the response above u made (sorry couldn't remember offhand) is that I have changed also, and i feel to some extent that my persepctive is a little more open & liberal having had the experiences that i have had. ) I think that i will find England a little curtain twitching..and a lot less neighbourcareness aware. And there are otherthings also, but I think it is half a dozen of one and 6 of the other. What i gain with 1 hand I lose with another, and if you return you will have to turn a blind eye to the things that peeve you, and definately don't look for similaritys and try not to make judgements.
I intend to go back and treat my situation on a daily basis, i know it will be very hard and at times i will be in despair, but i am determind to follow through my decision otherwise i will spend the rest of my life in regrets.
Its all about adjusting, accepting the situation you are in...and ultimately I also agree wih man above that if yoiu can't hack it -you still have choices, but that the new choices you will make all come with thier own new set of problems....these are not extensions of the old - so don't have regrets.

I want to help if I can, i am working on my return every day whilst kids are @ kindergatren so have quite a lot of information and contact numbers. Here is my email address [email protected].
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:01 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
I have moved back to the UK after 9 years of being in Australia and whilst I wouldnt say I have regretted a moment of it I wont be staying for the long haul.

In 9 years I have changed, I am a different person to the one who left and I have a base of friends, contacts and respect in my business dealings in Melbourne.

Coming back to London, i feel all my friends lives have moved on cos they have, i am a little out of touch from being away 9 years and that also means my salary expectations cant be reached when someone 6 years younger wants less and has more contacts..

So, I am trying to make it possible to return. My problem in Aus was the the women, i had so many girlfriends and couldnt make it work due to being so different. I have met a girl, we will get married, we both know so go back much more complete in myself.

Even if you go back and its not the right move after all, so what !! it is only money and, at worst 1-3 years out of your long life so if you need to do it, do it !!!!
must have been rough for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.