Good news Britain

Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news Britain

Well, this one suprised me. Not so much the content, but the fact that it came from Jeff Randall. The majority of his previous articles have been very much on the negative side. Very swift, if somewhat confusing, change of direction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...l#dsq-comments
Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:58 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I am witnessing actually out in the real world it is pretty easy to agree with what he is saying. I am not witnessing the widespread doom and gloom the Daily Mail would have us believe is gripping the country. Some will want to believe the opposite is in fact true and that is of course their right but just dont expect me to get dragged down with them.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Good or not so good news ???? Gotta be good surely.

Better than blody windmills.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...tish-jobs.html
Old Oct 30th 2012, 8:05 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Very good news indeed. Alongside solar and wind power.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Well this is good news for me. Probably not for those who think wind power is good. I suspect those who do favour wind power are NIMBY's. I just can't see the benefits of those monstrosities on land or at sea. Blight on the landscape for minimal return. AND they are subsidised.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...-minister.html

Ooooooopppps. Spoke too soon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...rm-sprawl.html

Move to....... Not so good news Britain.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 11:41 am
Banned

It is only not good news if you dont like them.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Well this is good news for me. Probably not for those who think wind power is good. Not so good news Britain.
Karma given for your insight.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:00 pm
Banned

It is just too funny.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Karma given for your insight.
ArmChair - this wind farm and artificial stoking (bad word - I think) of a green agenda is subject to conjecture.

At this time there are those who say there is precious point building wind turbines when the amount of energy spent in actually building one bears no resemblance to the energy it puts out, and then there's the cost. PLUS, Denmark seems to have a lock on their building so there are not enough home production benefits. PLUS, the subsidy is going to people like the Duke Of Westminster - Britain's RICHEST person. PLUS, the whole thing doesn't make economic sense without the subsidy.

HOWEVER

There are also those who see it as imperative that the UK weens itself off oil which is a dirty diminishing resource, so it has to be done.

plus,

On the face of it the energy supply is GREEN

and in the overall scheme of things, the blots on the landscape are insignificant - particularly for those farmers and landowners who see lovely new potential in their previously near worthless or at least seriously devalued non-residential development arable land.

SO, the building of wind farms far and wide particularly ONSHORE in the UK is not a consensus exercise and is controversial.

I kind of chuckle when I say that Scotland is trying to come up with 100% of its energy needs being met from renewables in 2020 - while flogging (I can think of a better word) ITS?? oil to outside parties.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 31st 2012 at 12:46 pm. Reason: particularly for those farmers........
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
ArmChair - this wind farm and artificial stoking (bad word - I think) of a green agenda is subject to conjecture.

At this time there are those who say there is precious point building wind turbines when the amount of energy spent in actually building one bears no resemblance to the energy it puts out, and then there's the cost. PLUS, Denmark seems to have a lock on their building so there are not enough home production benefits. PLUS, the subsidy is going to people like the Duke Of Westminster - Britain's RICHEST person. PLUS, the whole thing doesn't make economic sense without the subsidy.

HOWEVER

There are also those who see it as imperative that the UK weens itself off oil which is a dirty diminishing resource, so it has to be done.

plus,

On the face of it the energy supply is GREEN

and in the overall scheme of things, the blots on the landscape are insignificant.

SO, the building of wind farms far and wide particularly ONSHORE in the UK is not a consensus exercise and is controversial.

I kind of chuckle when I say that Scotland is trying to come up with 100% of its energy needs being met from renewables in 2020 - while flogging (I can think of a better word) ITS?? oil to outside parties.
Pete,
I agree with your words but the first paragraph draws my attention.
If those that can always defer decisions on alternative energy sources based merely on who will walk away with a profit...or not..then all we do is (and I state the obvious) shoot ourselves in the foot dilly dallying. Someone has to draw a line somewhere.
As for Onshore wind turbines well they always seem to be more contentious amongst those that don't live anywhere near their locations then those that do.
It remains an interesting subject.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Pete,
If those that can always defer decisions on alternative energy sources based merely on who will walk away with a profit...or not..then all we do is (and I state the obvious) shoot ourselves in the foot dilly dallying. Someone has to draw a line somewhere.
As for Onshore wind turbines well they always seem to be more contentious amongst those that don't live anywhere near their locations then those that do.It remains an interesting subject.
You mean the other way around, surely? There are loads in Scotland, especially where I live, and people who live next door to them definitely seem to be more agitated by the topic than those for whom it isn't a problem (because they don't have to live next to them).
Old Oct 31st 2012, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Pete,
As for Onshore wind turbines well they always seem to be more contentious amongst those that don't live anywhere near their locations then those that do.
It remains an interesting subject.
It's not a sour grapes issue. The amount of subsidy that the UK is prepared to spend should be capped. It makes no sense giving the subsidy to the likes of The Duke of Westminster so that he, as an extremely wealthy individual, can then shelter his income and assets from tax as this creates even higher associated cost. He can't find some "better" way to develop his land, one has to ask?? Try to allocate the subsidy to those who are more constricted by economic circumstance and who therefore NEED to find an alternative use for their land and wind-farming offers it.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 31st 2012 at 1:04 pm. Reason: Try to allocate.....
Old Oct 31st 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
You mean the other way around, surely? There are loads in Scotland, especially where I live, and people who live next door to them definitely seem to be more agitated by the topic than those for whom it isn't a problem (because they don't have to live next to them).
I fully understand that it is an emotive subject in Scotland, a quick search of Google
(yes I know I will be lambasted for using it as one research tool amongst many) shows this "Scottish Native" making his complaint.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17154249

I still think we (in TRW that is) need to find something but spend more time being negative and some I'm sure believe Oil will last forever.

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
It's not a sour grapes issue. .
I wasn't suggesting otherwise, my apologies if you thought I was.
I understand that some people are making a pretty penny on grants as can be read here
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/po...ions-subsidies
However I am not sure we can accuse the DoW of Tax evasion. Can we!?

Last edited by TheArmChairDetective; Oct 31st 2012 at 1:12 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Third place and still a cigar!

The UK came in third in an expat survey in Forbes Magazine, of the friendliest places to live, after Cayman and Australia sorry.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bethgree...t-countries-3/

"The Cayman Islands scored well in all those categories, putting it first on our list of the Friendliest Countries. Seventy-five percent of expat respondents living there reported that they were integrating well in the local community; in Australia it was 72% and in the U.K. 73%."
Old Oct 31st 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

However I am not sure we can accuse the DoW of Tax evasion. Can we!?
The word is avoidance pleeeeease! And the answer is YES! with the double-whammy of subsidy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.