Get on that electoral role

Old Aug 3rd 2021, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Bul23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Get on that electoral role

Is it a good idea to get on the electoral role online before returning to the UK to smooth transition back into the UK or does it make little difference? I am thinking in terms of residency and maybe renting property (?) I have been away 20 plus years. Hope I' ve posted this in the right spot!
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get on that electoral role

Originally Posted by Bul23
Is it a good idea to get on the electoral role online before returning to the UK to smooth transition back into the UK or does it make little difference? I am thinking in terms of residency and maybe renting property (?) I have been away 20 plus years. Hope I' ve posted this in the right spot!
You need to be a UK resident and a UK address.

https://www.electoralcommission.org....ation-purposes
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You need to be a UK resident and a UK address.

https://www.electoralcommission.org....ation-purposes
I don't think so. There is also provision to register if you were registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years. Scroll down to, "If You Live Abroad" in the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Aug 3rd 2021 at 7:09 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been registered to vote within the past 15 years?

If you live abroad

You can use this service to register to vote (or to renew or update your registration) if you both:
  • are a British citizen
  • were registered to vote within the last 15 years (or, in some cases, if you were too young to register when you were in the UK)
You may need your passport details.

Don't think being registered helps in either renting property or terms of residency.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I don't think so. There is also provision to register if you were registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years. Scroll down to, "If You Live Abroad" in the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
OK thanks. I know you can only vote up to 15 years of being an expat. Seems odd that you can re-register.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 5:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OK thanks. I know you can only vote up to 15 years of being an expat. Seems odd that you can re-register.
There are moves afoot to remove the 15 year limit,, but it hasn't happened yet. I was on touch with my old council (Brighton) only last month and they are still waiting to hear about the removal of restrictions.
I was registered but had to stop when I hit the 15 year mark. I want to reregister when I can as maybe one day I will be allowed to retire back to the UK.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks to you all for the really useful input and links.
It sounds like I ll have to wait until I go back to the UK as I ll be outside the 15 year period you have mentioned. What exactly is being on the electoral role useful for apart from being able to vote?! If this is a silly question please ignore!
Old Aug 4th 2021, 10:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to you all for the really useful input and links.
It sounds like I ll have to wait until I go back to the UK as I ll be outside the 15 year period you have mentioned. What exactly is being on the electoral role useful for apart from being able to vote?! If this is a silly question please ignore!
It also helps your credit score, so if you're returning back after a long absence and will be starting from scratch, it would be a good thing to do as soon as you do have an address to help that.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 11:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It also helps your credit score, so if you're returning back after a long absence and will be starting from scratch, it would be a good thing to do as soon as you do have an address to help that.
Thats the main reason I want to get back on, as soon as the restriction gets lifted
Old Aug 5th 2021, 2:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That is a top tip .
Old Aug 6th 2021, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Christmasoompa and all. Sorry for delay in replying the last day or two have been filled up with sortung out accommodation issues for my daughter who is starting uni in the UK.
Thanks again