Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Gardens and gardening across the world

Gardens and gardening across the world

Old May 4th 2015, 12:09 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardens and gardening across the world

Ken Bruce mentioned, on his radio show, that Friday was "Naked Gardeners Day". A listener contacted the show to enquire if that meant we would see "The Full Monty Don" on the next Gardeners' World programme.

Last edited by lf1; May 4th 2015 at 12:12 pm.
Old May 4th 2015, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Ken Bruce mentioned, on his radio show, that Friday was "Naked Gardeners Day". A listener contacted the show to enquire if that meant we would see "The Full Monty Don" on the next Gardeners' World programme.
Funny!
Old May 9th 2015, 8:31 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sallysimmons....nice to hear from you, glad that you have settled in so well sounds like you are very busy in your garden and how lucky to have your mum move close . Do you have a website were you have pictures of your garden, if I remember rightly you did have a place were you posted drawings or I could be mixing you up with someone else..
Hi trotty, I hope all is well with you!

I don't have a site with photos I'm afraid, although it is me who has an art website I'll have to take some garden photos and post them here, although it's vile weather at the moment so it will have to wait.

I found a new garden centre last week in Burnley. Because it's not a well-to-do city, the prices are amazing. 10 perennials (9 inch post) for £8.50. Needless to say I went a bit mad and came home with 30!
Old May 11th 2015, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone watching the Great Chelsea Garden Challenge on BBC2 at the moment? 6 amateur garden designs are competing to design a garden at Chelsea on the Main Avenue!! Enjoying it so far!!
Old May 11th 2015, 8:46 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Anyone watching the Great Chelsea Garden Challenge on BBC2 at the moment? 6 amateur garden designs are competing to design a garden at Chelsea on the Main Avenue!! Enjoying it so far!!
I missed the first half, but am now recording the rest of the series. I think I will enjoy it, but I do wish they would lose the fake dramatic production on the these types of shows,
Old May 12th 2015, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I missed the first half, but am now recording the rest of the series. I think I will enjoy it, but I do wish they would lose the fake dramatic production on the these types of shows,
I know what you mean about the dramatic production element but I can ignore that if I enjoy a show. I thought the young girl - Steph I think her name is - was lucky to make it through - but Jo did have an awful lot of empty spots which is a no-no in a show garden. Steph at least showed the judges some design skills even if half her planting was thrown in due to her running out of time.

I did like the winning design last night - he showed courage using some plants that had started to go to seed but it fitted his design brief and they still looked good even if they were past their peak flower stage. Looking forwards to tonight - a more formal garden design by the sounds of it.
Old May 15th 2015, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Islandwoman 120....just an update....the bluebells are finally up but no flowers, the daffodils came up the ones that didn't get eaten by the squirrels. It's still strange weather a couple of days of hot weather then back to cold. I have two pairs of bluebirds and I know one pair are nesting in the bluebird houses I put up. Yesterday a squirrel got to close to the nest and the bluebird attacked him...pecking him on the back while the squirrel hung on to the nearby tree.
I lost two rose bushes and I am hoping the 3rd one will survive just one small shoot sprung.
The garden lawn is full of dandelions and little white flowers. I think most of the people in the neighbourhood get their lawns treated with chemicals but I prefer not to. Now when I take the dog for a walk she can only walk on lawns sprouting weeds....
Old May 15th 2015, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I watched it last year while in the UK. Fascinating with lots of super ideas for one's own garden.
Old May 15th 2015, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Trottytrue, google home made organic lawn care and weeds.
Old May 15th 2015, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trotty and the bluebells! They are open over here, and mine came up, opened, and closed. The main flowers at the moment are dandelions and daisies. It's good that you don't use chemicals - they are bad stuff, really bad stuff. The little daughter of a neighbour of mine when I lived in Sarasota, FL, used to play outside barefoot, danced on a lawn sprayed with chemicals (I don't mention the name of the company as I don't need an American lawsuit all the way over here in Devon) and ended up hospitalised for months, finally losing her hearing and having a damaged heart - all at the age of 4 years. I used to get a strong vinegar solution to spray on weeds, but as I really like all plants, stopped that too and either pull out what is noxious, or just let them bloom. Wildflowers are beautiful, and the bees need them even more than we do. There are so few bees in my garden and few birds at the feeders - it is not good.
Old May 16th 2015, 9:16 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Trotty. I'm with you on the chemicals on lawns. I gave up using them years ago on the lawn in my Cdn garden. I switched to corn gluten and while it didn't get rid of all the weeds it worked quite well. I don't have a lawn in my small garden and try to avoid using chemicals. My only exception is targeted squirts of weed killer to the ground elder, when it rears its ugly head.

Last month I was planning to have a shelf, for kindling, installed in my wood store, but had to delay plans as a blackbird had built her nest in the store. The baby birds are now frequenting the garden under the guidance of Dad. When I am working in the garden he comes up very close to me looking for food. I place some food out for him and then the little ones come along and he feeds them. I remain in the garden and they can have their fill of food as the pigeons and jackdaws won't come into the garden while I am there.

I can't believe how close the male blackbird will come to me. He has actually startled me a couple of times as he just appears in front of me and gives me that look which says - where's our lunch Mrs!!! It is so cute and I must try and get some pics.
Old May 20th 2015, 6:58 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Anybody watching 'Chelsea'?
Old Jun 5th 2015, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Islandwoman120......I finally got a couple of blooms on my bluebells, we gave had almost a week of rain so I am hoping to see a few more blooms...gardens in my area are mainly grass and the owners constantly mow and have it fed I can tell which ones are fed the don't have any dandelions. I don't let the dog walk on any of the grass unless I see dandelions...
Old Jun 6th 2015, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Islandwoman120......I finally got a couple of blooms on my bluebells, we gave had almost a week of rain so I am hoping to see a few more blooms...gardens in my area are mainly grass and the owners constantly mow and have it fed I can tell which ones are fed the don't have any dandelions. I don't let the dog walk on any of the grass unless I see dandelions...
You are wise to keep your dog off those 'fed' lawns - so many toxins. I still can't believe the stupidity of people after all the warnings over so many, many years. I tried to get my local store to stop selling slug pellets and was told if I paid him £500 I could have the lot and he would stop selling for the year. No conscience. I pick my snails and put them in the compost bin - they are living the life of Riley in there, as are the spiders. I shall put them all in the woods later in the season.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 8:10 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

I am trying out 'Slug Gone' wool pellets. A local nursery owner recommended them and from what I have read, they appear to be safe around children, pets and other wildlife. Fingers crossed.

Last weekend I went to 'Gardening Scotland' or Chelsea North as I like to call it. I had a very nice day out and managed to attend 3 lectures/Q&A sessions. Chris Collins was one of the speakers and was quite entertaining. I had not heard of him before. The presenters from Beechgrove Garden were also on hand for a Gardeners Question Time type session. I was hoping Chris Beardshaw would have been there with the Beechgrove team as I have a bit of a crush on him

I only bought 3 plants as I didn't realise, until I was leaving, that there was a 'Plant Creche' available. Great idea. I thought I would have to traipse back and forth to the car with my purchases. Now, if only the wind would stop blowing a gale I might be able to get planting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.