Family emergency in UK and COVID

Old Feb 5th 2021, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Isambard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family emergency in UK and COVID

Hi

I will have to visit the UK from my home in the USA in the next few days because of a family emergency. What is the real deal on traveling into the UK right now regarding COVID lockdown, quarantine etc.?

When I went in September 2020 I had to self-isolate for 2 weeks before I could see my family - there were no follow-up checks by the government, no special paperwork or anything. What's the current situation? Is the quarantine being enforced? Will I be able to support my family? Are funerals happening?

I've contact the British Consulate several times but I can't get detailed information from them.

Any solid guidance appreciated.

Cheers

David
Old Feb 5th 2021, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family emergency in UK and COVID

Simple Google search brings up:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

Old Feb 5th 2021, 10:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isambard
Hi

I will have to visit the UK from my home in the USA in the next few days because of a family emergency. What is the real deal on traveling into the UK right now regarding COVID lockdown, quarantine etc.?

When I went in September 2020 I had to self-isolate for 2 weeks before I could see my family - there were no follow-up checks by the government, no special paperwork or anything. What's the current situation? Is the quarantine being enforced? Will I be able to support my family? Are funerals happening?

I've contact the British Consulate several times but I can't get detailed information from them.

Any solid guidance appreciated.

Cheers

David

Hello and welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to our UK forum, as the Welcome Inn is for new members to introduce themselves.

Yes funerals are taking place, but depending on the location it could take many, many weeks.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 11:22 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello and welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to our UK forum, as the Welcome Inn is for new members to introduce themselves.

Yes funerals are taking place, but depending on the location it could take many, many weeks.
.my dad went to a funeral a couple of weeks ago Bristol area. It had been delayed a couple of times and there are restrictions.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Isambard, I returned to UK permanently,arrived 1 week ago.As I had sold my property in Spain closed my Bank account,cancelled on the padron etc. I was looking to buy a new home therefore needed to know that I could freely travel around after my self isolation period.I asked both the British Embassy & British Consulate for advice.All I got was an instruction to"Go to the Gov.website" which simply indicates that "moving house" could be included as an exemption.Unfortunately,after having 3 cancelled flight directly into Scotland,I had to take a flight to northern England which was the nearest place & travel up by train if allowed.I was concerned that some official would try to prevent me boarding a train so I needed exact advice.Otherwise what was I supposed to do,stamp on his toes & make a dash for a carriage with an open door?? As an elderly person I was kindly helped by a Policeman who saw me safely onto the correct train & I got into Scotland without bother.Maybe the Diplomatic staff are hiding in a freezer with our esteemed Prime Minister so that they can avoid giving proper answers.Most of my adult life I have been self employed.I would have been bankrupt if I had offered this level of service.Although Border Control did check all my details,PCR test,Locator details,I haven´t yet had a visit from them but perhaps that is coincidence.Just go for it I would say,after all if you arrive in UK you are,at least in the place you need to be.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Isambard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dougal03
Isambard, I returned to UK permanently,arrived 1 week ago.As I had sold my property in Spain closed my Bank account,cancelled on the padron etc. I was looking to buy a new home therefore needed to know that I could freely travel around after my self isolation period.I asked both the British Embassy & British Consulate for advice.All I got was an instruction to"Go to the Gov.website" which simply indicates that "moving house" could be included as an exemption.Unfortunately,after having 3 cancelled flight directly into Scotland,I had to take a flight to northern England which was the nearest place & travel up by train if allowed.I was concerned that some official would try to prevent me boarding a train so I needed exact advice.Otherwise what was I supposed to do,stamp on his toes & make a dash for a carriage with an open door?? As an elderly person I was kindly helped by a Policeman who saw me safely onto the correct train & I got into Scotland without bother.Maybe the Diplomatic staff are hiding in a freezer with our esteemed Prime Minister so that they can avoid giving proper answers.Most of my adult life I have been self employed.I would have been bankrupt if I had offered this level of service.Although Border Control did check all my details,PCR test,Locator details,I haven´t yet had a visit from them but perhaps that is coincidence.Just go for it I would say,after all if you arrive in UK you are,at least in the place you need to be.
Thank you, dougal03. This was helpful insight. The respondent who told me to Google it was not being very helpful; like you, I know the official rules but I'm trying to get a better understanding of how things work in practice, so hearing about your first-hand experience is invaluable. Good luck with your return to Scotland!