Failed Driving Test

Old Jul 12th 2016, 6:10 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Failed Driving Test

A while back, there was interest in how I get on with the test, since some returning ex-pats have to take it.

I took it today, and failed. I can be philosophical about failing, but I'm a bit shaken by how badly I failed. I had four faults in the S category, each of which is a fail in itself and eight minor faults, which would not have failed me in themselves.

Two of the S category faults related to the reverse park (parallel park) manoeuvre, which I thought I did perfectly! But apparently my observations were not good enough, and I started by parking too close to the car alongside me. That was two faults for control and obs.

I got another S fault for stalling halfway round a mini-roundabout, then panicking and needing three goes to get the car started again. That one I can understand.

The fourth S fault was for steering. Apparently, I took a couple of corners wide.

It occurs to me that I should add, for those of you who don't know, that I'm in my sixties, and have never had a driving licence in any country.

So I rebook a test and do a few more lessons.

Last edited by Editha; Jul 12th 2016 at 6:19 pm. Reason: PS
Old Jul 12th 2016, 6:58 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failed Driving Test

Originally Posted by Editha
A while back, there was interest in how I get on with the test, since some returning ex-pats have to take it.

I took it today, and failed. I can be philosophical about failing, but I'm a bit shaken by how badly I failed. I had four faults in the S category, each of which is a fail in itself and eight minor faults, which would not have failed me in themselves.

Two of the S category faults related to the reverse park (parallel park) manoeuvre, which I thought I did perfectly! But apparently my observations were not good enough, and I started by parking too close to the car alongside me. That was two faults for control and obs.

I got another S fault for stalling halfway round a mini-roundabout, then panicking and needing three goes to get the car started again. That one I can understand.

The fourth S fault was for steering. Apparently, I took a couple of corners wide.

It occurs to me that I should add, for those of you who don't know, that I'm in my sixties, and have never had a driving licence in any country.

So I rebook a test and do a few more lessons.
OH dear! I wondered how you were doing with that. I stated that my mum passed on the fifth try! She never gave up. She would have just kept taking it.

Not that you will take five tries, but please don't give up!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I failed my first test because the horn did not work.

I was doing the test in a rental car as I had only been in the country about a month. While in the testing centre I was asked to show the main points of the car and to use the horn - nothing. (obviously I had not had the need to use it before then!)

The tester said he could not even take me out due to having a non working horn.

So just watch out for the equipment on your car.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I failed the first time in my 20's when I put the gearstick into neutral for a few seconds while approaching a traffic light. I never ever do that but my husband does it regularly. I passed the second time. It is nerve wracking at any age and I had to do my drivers again in Canada at age 47. My OH did it first so one of us could drive and he passed first time which put pressure on me six months later when it was my time. Luckily it was an automatic and I had been warned they look out for you checking in mirrors and doing shoulder checks all the time! On my turn, the gods must have been looking out for me because it was perfect and when aproaching a busy intersection where I had to cross over a double main road to go into traffic, that moment it was absolutely clear and he said to me that I was lucky, he has never seen that happen. You will get there and I really admire you for going for it in your sixties because you will find your world will open up so wide especially as you live rural. I must admit though, it has taken me nearly 10 months to feel confident on the road especially on large roundabouts with 7 exits and racing cars!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 8:32 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your comforting comments! I've rebooked the test for August. I simply have to get my licence because I need to ferry mum around, so I must retake the test until I pass.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 9:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your comforting comments! I've rebooked the test for August. I simply have to get my licence because I need to ferry mum around, so I must retake the test until I pass.
If you haven't yet bought a vehicle, consider buying and taking the test on an automatic. Given your lack of previous experience, not having to worry about a clutch and gearshift would make getting all the other things right so much easier.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 9:51 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Thanks for the advice, but the OH wouldn't want to drive an automatic, and we don't want the hassle of insuring and maintaining two cars. Actually, most of the time my use of the gears and clutch control is fine; my stall yesterday was down to nerves.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 9:56 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, but the OH wouldn't want to drive an automatic, and we don't want the hassle of insuring and maintaining two cars. Actually, most of the time my use of the gears and clutch control is fine; my stall yesterday was down to nerves.
Fair enough. I passed my test in the UK when I was 17 but then had to take another in California when I was 27. My OH took her (first) test there as well, so because she has never passed in the UK, when she swapped her Canaidian licence for a UK, it was restricted to automatics. Knowing this would happen in advance, we bought an automatic here.

I used to dislike them, but now am pleased we had to do this. It's just easier, especially in the stop and go traffic we often encounter on our travels in the UK.

I still think a manual gives you more control, but I'm no longer a boy-racer.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I learned to drive (in the UK) in my late 20s (20 odd years ago) and it took me 3 attempts. Can't remember what I failed on the first time - pretty much everything I think as I really wasn't ready. Second attempt I failed on my manoeuvres. On my final attempt I was so nervous, my left leg was shaking so much I told the examiner I was going to pull over for a few minutes to compose myself - I think I felt I had blown it at that point so kind of relaxed enough to get through.

Had to sit another test in Texas, but that was so easy in comparison it's almost laughable that it's even called a test.

I switched to automatic when we moved to Texas (8 years ago) and stayed with automatic when we moved back. I have never been a super confident driver and I really do find automatic so much easier.

If there is time pressure to get through your test so you can support your Mum it really might be worth re-visiting the decision on manual/automatic - you can always 'upgrade' to manual at a later date.

Good luck with the retest - hope it goes well
Old Jul 13th 2016, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I failed the first time too, passed on the second. Nerves are likely to get you the first time around. More than likely you will have that under control for your second try. Good luck
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:19 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. Because of living in a rather remote spot, I think I'd have difficulty finding an instructor with an automatic. If I keep failing on the manual, maybe another two times, then I'll reconsider.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that you did not pass your driving test this time. I did not pass my test on the first time, so don't worry about it.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 4:04 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by HKG3
Sorry to hear that you did not pass your driving test this time. I did not pass my test on the first time, so don't worry about it.
Astonishing logic.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
Your logic is fine HKG3; nothing astonishing about it.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I think the harder thing to do is find someone who passed their test at the first attempt!
I'm sure there are a good few, but in recent years I'll bet there are less.
Does this mean that drivers today are not so well taught, or as a friend suggested, this is a nice little earner?

I could spit that I did not get behind the wheel within my first year back to keep my licence, but I was snowed under.
Now I have to go through the damn thing again, and am quite sure the first attempt will fail....
...and the second...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.