British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   "EU migrants who arrive after triggering of Article 50 should not stay permanently" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/eu-migrants-who-arrive-after-triggering-article-50-should-not-stay-permanently-888765/)

tom169 Dec 12th 2016 7:41 pm

"EU migrants who arrive after triggering of Article 50 should not stay permanently"

I would hazard a guess that the flights from Europe leading up to this date will be booked up and the prices ramped up.

EU migrants who arrive after triggering of Article 50 should not stay permanently, says report

BritInParis Dec 12th 2016 7:48 pm

Re: "EU migrants who arrive after triggering of Article 50 should not stay permanentl

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12127722)
I would hazard a guess that the flights from Europe leading up to this date will be booked up and the prices ramped up.

EU migrants who arrive after triggering of Article 50 should not stay permanently, says report

A couple of extra thousand isn't going to make much difference.

Novocastrian Dec 12th 2016 9:50 pm

Re: "EU migrants who arrive after triggering of Article 50 should not stay permanentl

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12127732)
A couple of extra thousand isn't going to make much difference.

Either way.

Look. The wheels are falling off the mad people's Brexit nonsense. Get with the programme.

J.JsOH Dec 12th 2016 10:07 pm

Don't look back, that is not the direction we are going

Editha Dec 13th 2016 8:11 am

A surge of EU migrants, who will mostly be young, healthy, work and contribute taxes bothers me much less than the surge of retired British OAPs from Spain and France many of whom will be dependent on benefits, and all of whom will put additional strain on our already creaking NHS.

brits1 Dec 13th 2016 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12128036)
A surge of EU migrants, who will mostly be young, healthy, work and contribute taxes bothers me much less than the surge of retired British OAPs from Spain and France many of whom will be dependent on benefits, and all of whom will put additional strain on our already creaking NHS.

We moved out of our rental property (just two weeks ago!!!!) because the landlord who has lived overseas since the 1990's has discovered he is now unwell (in his 60's) he needs to use his UK address for a hospital appointment here in the UK and has been using his Mothers UK home address for correspondence etc while living overseas. I do not have a problem with him wanting us to vacate his property, its his property after all but I do have a big "bug bear" with the fact he is only moving back to the UK to receive NHS treatment, he hopefully wants to return overseas when he is "better"

brits1 Dec 13th 2016 8:48 am

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 12127805)
Don't look back, that is not the direction we are going

The majority voted to leave Europe and we have to respect that and get on with the future, I agree we have to look forward not backwards if we like it or not.

robin1234 Dec 13th 2016 9:16 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12128068)
The majority voted to leave Europe and we have to respect that and get on with the future, I agree we have to look forward not backwards if we like it or not.

We'll be looking forward like the train driver in the Bridge on the River Kwai, and the Lone Ranger movie .... The bridge has been dynamited, but we gotta go forward.

Editha Dec 13th 2016 9:16 am

I am looking forward, to when we rejoin the EU.

elonii Dec 13th 2016 11:06 am

Maybe we'll end up charging a subscription fee for the right to come and live and work here, similar to the one being mooted by the EU. It's certainly going to be interesting to see how all this is dealt with.

I wonder how many people who voted leave will actually feel like they got what they hoped for in ten years time?

robin1234 Dec 13th 2016 11:23 am

Originally Posted by elonii (Post 12128136)
I wonder how many people who voted leave will actually feel like they got what they hoped for in ten years time?

In ten years time that group of people can be divided into three.
i) deceased
ii) had rational thoughts at the time of the vote
iii) didn't have rational thoughts

scot47 Dec 14th 2016 11:50 am

The franchise should be withdrawn from those incapable of rational thought.

J.JsOH Dec 15th 2016 10:27 am

This Brexit has certainly shown how Brits like to whinge when they don't get their way. Very entertaining.

jimeve Dec 15th 2016 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12128085)
I am looking forward, to when we rejoin the EU.

We are not out of EU! Yet

jimeve Dec 15th 2016 11:19 am

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 12129661)
This Brexit has certainly shown how Brits like to whinge when they don't get their way. Very entertaining.

Whinging poms
:p