Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

EU citizens 'denied residency documents'

EU citizens 'denied residency documents'

Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU citizens 'denied residency documents'

Originally Posted by Davita
A social national health service is in its infancy in Indonesia...so you are correct about the public hospitals...but private fee-paying is available and pretty good.
I wouldn't want to be sick and poor in Indonesia...that's a fact.
Well my experience wasn't with the public hospital.

Again I haven't been there for a while, just my personal opinion I would avoid if at all possible getting medical care in Indonesia or from Indonesian doctor. Of course there will be some doctors who might be exceptions. For example I would have no confidence in their ability to properly sterilize equipment, nor vet hospital staff for communicable diseases.

But I am not in health sector nor done any serious analysis of the issues- and it seems you have a good experience which is great.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Laugh all you like over my oxymorn...'open surgery'.

The experience of my belly being sliced open twice in one year has left me very scared n' scarred....
Old Feb 26th 2017, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
Laugh all you like over my oxymorn...'open surgery'.

The experience of my belly being sliced open twice in one year has left me very scared n' scarred....
Sorry you went through twice.

I would think Bali an excellent place to recuperate ? I haven't been in over 20 years, but away for the busy tourists parts seemed like a very special place. What part are you in ?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

I just came upon this thread and it's freaking me out a bit. I read about half the posts.

Please clarify all this if possible, because I should be moving over there in late summer/early fall.

Will I, a dual US and Irish citizen, self-employed, be eligible for NHS upon arrival and establishing my intent to live there or not? I would be entering on my Irish passport.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Hello everyone,

I just came upon this thread and it's freaking me out a bit. I read about half the posts.

Please clarify all this if possible, because I should be moving over there in late summer/early fall.

Will I, a dual US and Irish citizen, self-employed, be eligible for NHS upon arrival and establishing my intent to live there or not? I would be entering on my Irish passport.

Thanks in advance.
Irish citizens have a special status in the UK distinct from the rest of the EU/EEA that won't be affected by Brexit. You'll be considered 'settled' from the moment you arrive if your intention is to ordinarily reside in the UK.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Irish citizens have a special status in the UK distinct from the rest of the EU/EEA that won't be affected by Brexit. You'll be considered 'settled' from the moment you arrive if your intention is to ordinarily reside in the UK.
So I'll be entitled to use the NHS?

Also, how do I prove my intention to ordinarily reside?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to show that the UK is where you intend to make your primary residence. Which can be difficult.

You'll very likely get an interview called the Habitual Residence Test. You'll get asked a lot of questions on various things, such as whether you have come to the UK for NHS treatment.

Quick question, which country are you coming in from?

BritInParis. Is it the Irish nationality, or being resident in Ireland that counts regarding the CTA agreement?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
You would have to show that the UK is where you intend to make your primary residence. Which can be difficult.

You'll very likely get an interview called the Habitual Residence Test. You'll get asked a lot of questions on various things, such as whether you have come to the UK for NHS treatment.

BritInParis. Is it the Irish nationality, or being resident in Ireland that counts regarding the CTA agreement?
It can't be that difficult, can it? I imagine people arrive every day who will be living there.

Are you saying I will have to go through this test right after arriving in the UK?Like at the airport? I was under the impression that as an Irish citizen I would simply arrive and come through and go live my life.

FYI, I am not coming there to get treatment...I'm coming to live. But I want to know before coming that I'll be covered by NHS if need be.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

It can't be that difficult, can it? I imagine people arrive every day who will be living there.

Are you saying I will have to go through this test right after arriving in the UK?Like at the airport? I was under the impression that as an Irish citizen I would simply arrive and come through and go live my life.

FYI, I am not coming there to get treatment...I'm coming to live. But I want to know before coming that I'll be covered by NHS if need be.
No, the test isn't done at the airport. You'll get this test if you are applying for things like unemployment or housing benefits. It'll be the organisation administering whatever you're applying for that gives the test, if you have one. Even if you don't pass it, it only means you won't get whatever benefit it is for around 3 months.

Are you coming from Ireland or the US?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

No, the test isn't done at the airport. You'll get this test if you are applying for things like unemployment or housing benefits. It'll be the organisation administering whatever you're applying for that gives the test, if you have one. Even if you don't pass it, it only means you won't get whatever benefit it is for around 3 months.

Possibly from Ireland, but likely from US. Why do you ask? Is there an advantage coming from either one?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

So I'll be entitled to use the NHS?

It doesn't take much. Just set up home and you'll be fine.

The HRT only applies if you are applying for certain benefits like Jobseekers' Allowance. It's being an Irish citizen that's the important thing. You'll be treated as a British citizen for all practical purposes.

NHS entitlement is based on residence. Providing you are ordinarily resident in the UK then all treatment is free. As long as you have an Irish passport and a UK address you shouldn't have a problem. When you register at your local GP you'll be given a NHS number.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:17 pm

Possibly from Ireland, but likely from US. Why do you ask? Is there an advantage coming from either one?
It won't make a difference.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

It won't make a difference.
Thanks.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

BIP, how about the reverse? Will a British citizen be able to move permanently to Ireland post Brexit do you think?
Old Mar 4th 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Perth
BIP, how about the reverse? Will a British citizen be able to move permanently to Ireland post Brexit do you think?
The Common Travel Area is a reciprocal arrangement in that regard so yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.