Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Dougal03's views on UK after returning

Dougal03's views on UK after returning

Old Feb 25th 2022, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dougal03's views on UK after returning

Dougal, thank you for your response.
So you're in your mid-80's. You decided to give up living in Spain and moved back to the UK when the new Brexit rules came in. Was this through fear of not being able to come back to Britain? Or was there some other deciding factor as to why you chose to leave Spain?

I'm guessing here, but I think the trouble you had with the NHS paperwork was more to do with them requiring your NHS number and not the EHIC card (or GHIC depending on the time/location of issue). It probably just caused a little bit of confusion with a British person trying to claim care in a British healthcare facility using a European health card but I could be wrong.

Do you live alone? Or have you found yourself in a nice retirement home somewhere? Obviously being in your 80's and adapting to a new (colder) way of life must be challenging. I would honestly recommend rekindling some old passions you may have once had. Over the years I've played tennis, bowling, darts and pool with many an 80 year old. These types of activities will probably help you adapt and feel more comfortable in your surroundings.

Again if we knew the backwater you live in there may be someone around this group that knows the area and with knowledge of your passions they may be able to help set you on your way to a local club, and suggest good transport links to get you there.

The UK certainly isn't perfect but I'm sure that if you look at your community there will be things around it to give you some joy. You don't deserve to be as unhappy as you sound and the fact that you're on here, people may be able to help you out with suggestions.

People may even know of ways that might be able to get you back to Spain but I certainly do not have any knowledge of the EU post Brexit rules on that but maybe there's some residency test you can go through to be granted permanent residence or similar.

Last edited by ArthurBrit; Feb 25th 2022 at 1:32 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2022, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for clarifying Dougal.
Can't be easy making a move like that in your mid-80s. You're there now, though, so I hope you can make the best of it and find new friends in your local area.
Best of luck.
Old Jun 26th 2022, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Dougal, thank you for your response.
So you're in your mid-80's. You decided to give up living in Spain and moved back to the UK when the new Brexit rules came in. Was this through fear of not being able to come back to Britain? Or was there some other deciding factor as to why you chose to leave Spain?

People may even know of ways that might be able to get you back to Spain but I certainly do not have any knowledge of the EU post Brexit rules on that but maybe there's some residency test you can go through to be granted permanent residence or similar.
Forgive me if I missed how long you were living in Spain, and the ate on which you returned. If you haven't been out of Spain for six months (if you had been there less than five years) 'and' if you can prove that you had been legally resident in Spain at the stroke of midnight on 31st January 2020, then you could still have time to return to Spain if you choose to do so. There are groups out there who can help you to gain your TIE and your equivalent of (pre)settled status even now, if you qualified under Article 50 of the withdrawal agreement (WA), on the date the UK left the EU. No offence meant, but we are finding British people around your age all over Europe particularly those who thought they were covered under other arrangements such as a different form of permanent residency - even pre-EU permanent residence! - so you are far from alone. Most help groups have contacts in their respective governments around Europe who are still assisting people even now who were unaware they were eligible to stay. I will give you a link, please join them and find out if they are able to assist you, should you wish to return to Spain. Welcome to Bremain in Spain - Bremain in Spain Of course, this is only relevant for people who can prove they were living in Spain prior to us leaving the EU and not for aspiring retirees.

Best of luck, whatever you decide. I wish only for your happiness wherever you can find it
Old Jun 27th 2022, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

.I am staying here in UK now but I thank you for your kindly help.The UK is in a bad way & people ,even in the "true blue" belt of the English south coast where I am,are disenchanted with things I can see.Best wishes to all.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 2:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
.I am staying here in UK now but I thank you for your kindly help.The UK is in a bad way & people ,even in the "true blue" belt of the English south coast where I am,are disenchanted with things I can see.Best wishes to all.
You've been back several months now Dougal. Are there any things which initially disenchanted you but you now think you might have been too quick to judge ? What are the things that trouble you about the UK the most ?
Old Jun 27th 2022, 3:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
You've been back several months now Dougal. Are there any things which initially disenchanted you but you now think you might have been too quick to judge ?
Swings and Roundabouts.
(Magic ones)

Old Jun 27th 2022, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

I was abroad for a very long time(4 decades)so the UK was a foreign country to me,something I didn´t really take into account as I had only been back on short visits.Just as people who go on holiday anywhere in the world.You actually have to LIVE in a place.Reality kicked in as soon as I went to the airport where I had my passport stamped by BRITISH Border Control which allowed me to board a flight going INTO the UK & this when we were in the transition period.At the time in Britain there were restrictions on travel on trains,buses etc.& it was necessary that I would need to take a train from where I landed (Newcastle)to where I was to do my isolation period(Scotland).I had asked the Consulate for a written letter to say my journey was necessary as I was concerned that some train official would refuse to let me on.Still waiting for that.After completing my isolation I bought a property in Scotland,a place I had lived in many years ago.I am English the rest,spouse,children & grandchildren were all Scottish born.In the very distant past,I had been aware of Scottish/English dislike for each other,even suffered some abuse myself at that time but I was unprepared to find it had grown immensely & hardened.I admire the Scots,they are steely & determined,unlike us wishy washy English & I see great trouble coming which may set off a whole stream of trouble which may incline the Welsh to add their voice.I would have preferred to stay in Scotland but my even more elderly sister pleaded with me to come to live near her on the south coast which I have done reluctantly.Here it´s a different scenario in "dyed in the wool" Little Englanders where,up until now,no matter what ,Tory is the ONLY political party that is recognisable.I find it difficult to discuss anything that is outside their little bubble as few simply don´t read,listen or want to know about the rest of the world.Except the fact that,as they constantly quote,migrants keep coming & spoiling the England that they knew.Young people mostly take a wider view so they must be ignored & so I see a rift growing between the generations ,much wider than I can remember.It´s the complacent attitude too that is appalling.Scams,are a"shrug",& the drug problem commonplace everywhere.I´m all right Jack is the order of the day.My niece is a detective & says the Police have not even sufficient resources to investigate some serious crimes properly.And let´s not get into the problems in the NHS.I´m still disenchanted & there is so much,I think,to be troubled about here.I have been fortunate that I was able to benefit from having the freedom to go to another country where my family profited both financially & gaining knowledge & friends of different cultures.Sadly our youngsters have been denied that,perhaps for ever.We could soon be like castaways on a small island with no one to catch our lifeline to reel us in.At my age should I care? Yes, I do
Old Jun 27th 2022, 5:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I was abroad for a very long time(4 decades)so the UK was a foreign country to me,something I didn´t really take into account as I had only been back on short visits.Just as people who go on holiday anywhere in the world.You actually have to LIVE in a place.Reality kicked in as soon as I went to the airport where I had my passport stamped by BRITISH Border Control which allowed me to board a flight going INTO the UK & this when we were in the transition period.At the time in Britain there were restrictions on travel on trains,buses etc.& it was necessary that I would need to take a train from where I landed (Newcastle)to where I was to do my isolation period(Scotland).I had asked the Consulate for a written letter to say my journey was necessary as I was concerned that some train official would refuse to let me on.Still waiting for that.After completing my isolation I bought a property in Scotland,a place I had lived in many years ago.I am English the rest,spouse,children & grandchildren were all Scottish born.In the very distant past,I had been aware of Scottish/English dislike for each other,even suffered some abuse myself at that time but I was unprepared to find it had grown immensely & hardened.I admire the Scots,they are steely & determined,unlike us wishy washy English & I see great trouble coming which may set off a whole stream of trouble which may incline the Welsh to add their voice.I would have preferred to stay in Scotland but my even more elderly sister pleaded with me to come to live near her on the south coast which I have done reluctantly.Here it´s a different scenario in "dyed in the wool" Little Englanders where,up until now,no matter what ,Tory is the ONLY political party that is recognisable.I find it difficult to discuss anything that is outside their little bubble as few simply don´t read,listen or want to know about the rest of the world.Except the fact that,as they constantly quote,migrants keep coming & spoiling the England that they knew.Young people mostly take a wider view so they must be ignored & so I see a rift growing between the generations ,much wider than I can remember.It´s the complacent attitude too that is appalling.Scams,are a"shrug",& the drug problem commonplace everywhere.I´m all right Jack is the order of the day.My niece is a detective & says the Police have not even sufficient resources to investigate some serious crimes properly.And let´s not get into the problems in the NHS.I´m still disenchanted & there is so much,I think,to be troubled about here.I have been fortunate that I was able to benefit from having the freedom to go to another country where my family profited both financially & gaining knowledge & friends of different cultures.Sadly our youngsters have been denied that,perhaps for ever.We could soon be like castaways on a small island with no one to catch our lifeline to reel us in.At my age should I care? Yes, I do
It's good to care. Thanks for your reflections Dougal.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

That part of the UK has always been like that and even had fun poked at it because of it. Heck, that was a big part of the entire premise of Fawlty Towers.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. And then there’s the fact that as you get older, a lot of your social contact is probably going to be with older people who by nature tend to be conservative.
Old Aug 21st 2022, 2:14 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

it's an age thing then that qualifies you to be a whinging Pom.

did you go on about/whinge of all that was wrong with Spain when you lived there?

what good points do you have about living back in the UK?

what was your single reason for leaving Spain?