British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Dougal03's views on UK after returning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/dougal03s-views-uk-after-returning-942802/)

Moses2013 Feb 23rd 2022 5:19 pm

Re: Dougal03's views on UK after returning

Originally Posted by Helen1964 (Post 13096910)
Hi Dougal.

I'm resident in France, specifically Strasbourg. I really like it here and have had no trouble staying on after Brexit. Just as you were resident in Spain for a long time, so too I've been here for decades. And was able to stay on quite easily. Didn't UK nationals in Spain have access to a similar arrangement under the Withdrawal Agreement? Not sure how it worked in Spain.

I'm basing my impressions of the UK on the 3 or 4 visits a year that I pay to Northern Ireland. So possibly this isn't a fair reflection of the situation in GB. But certainly life in NI seems pretty good, judging by my friends and family there. I don't think it's "better" than France: some aspects, certainly, would be better for me on a very personal level (eg being surrounded by people who speak my own language and who are generally friendlier than the French) but other aspects (healthcare, weather) are almost certainly less good than Strasbourg (which has good healthcare even by French standards).

Anyway, I'm still working and have a job which I enjoy very much so I'm in no rush to go anywhere for now. Not sure whether I want to leave my friends here either.
We'll do a big road trip of the UK after I retire and then decide. But you do paint a terribly bleak picture. I hope things improve for you soon.

In fairness to Dougal, you do got a lot of dumps in England and the chances are just higher that you will see and experience more rudeness than NI if you travel around a lot. More people, more larger towns etc. It really depends on the individual and everybody has a different comfort zone. I can imagine that coming from a well maintained touristic area in Spain and moving to a place like Maidstone would be quite a shock, if you forgot how it always was.

philat98 Feb 23rd 2022 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Helen1964 (Post 13096910)
Hi Dougal.

I'm resident in France, specifically Strasbourg. I really like it here and have had no trouble staying on after Brexit. Just as you were resident in Spain for a long time, so too I've been here for decades. And was able to stay on quite easily. Didn't UK nationals in Spain have access to a similar arrangement under the Withdrawal Agreement? Not sure how it worked in Spain.

I'm basing my impressions of the UK on the 3 or 4 visits a year that I pay to Northern Ireland. So possibly this isn't a fair reflection of the situation in GB. But certainly life in NI seems pretty good, judging by my friends and family there. I don't think it's "better" than France: some aspects, certainly, would be better for me on a very personal level (eg being surrounded by people who speak my own language and who are generally friendlier than the French) but other aspects (healthcare, weather) are almost certainly less good than Strasbourg (which has good healthcare even by French standards).

Anyway, I'm still working and have a job which I enjoy very much so I'm in no rush to go anywhere for now. Not sure whether I want to leave my friends here either.
We'll do a big road trip of the UK after I retire and then decide. But you do paint a terribly bleak picture. I hope things improve for you soon.

Thats a very nice region of France. I did a canal tour of the Alsace 30 years ago. That was the best food and drink I ever experienced in France. If I stayed there I would have put on some weight.

Pollyana Feb 23rd 2022 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 13096851)
I can quite understand that,Pollyanna,when you live in a Commonwealth country.But I was referring to the EU countries now we no longer have any support there.Look how folk were upset over the "Pet passport" scheme even.Also I know it is very expensive to live in Australia as I have an Australian in-law but most of the EU countries have an easier lifestyle financially.The grass is always greener etc.I did not return through personal choice.After retiring ,a few years prior to Brexit,I did assume I would end my days there in the contented lifestyle I had.But I was not prepared for just how down at heel the UK is in comparison & that is in the public services that were never under EU control,education,NHS,Police,transport,pensions etc.Thankfully you will have a few years to assess the situation before returning.

The fact its a commonwealth country has nothing to do with the price of fish.. Doesn't matter what country you come from the immigration process is the same and there are no perks to be gained from it still being part of the Commonwealth. We have no more support from the British government than someone living in Spain or Italy. In fact we have less, as our State Pension is not even index linked over ere, but frozen at the date of claiming.

I have assessed the situation more times than I care to think, and were it not for Covid would possibly be back already. Hell (commonly known as Queensland) will freeze over before I change my mind about returning.

Jolly Good Feb 23rd 2022 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13097037)
Hell (commonly known as Queensland) will freeze over before I change my mind about returning.

I would be careful making that comment. The way global warming is affecting our weather nowadays your Hell might freeze over!!!:lol::ohmy:

philat98 Feb 24th 2022 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13097037)
The fact its a commonwealth country has nothing to do with the price of fish.. Doesn't matter what country you come from the immigration process is the same and there are no perks to be gained from it still being part of the Commonwealth. We have no more support from the British government than someone living in Spain or Italy. In fact we have less, as our State Pension is not even index linked over ere, but frozen at the date of claiming.

I have assessed the situation more times than I care to think, and were it not for Covid would possibly be back already. Hell (commonly known as Queensland) will freeze over before I change my mind about returning.

If inflation takes off that pension freeze will become severe. I wouldnt be surprised if they extend the freeze for all expats. That would save quite a bit of cash and lose no votes.

Pollyana Feb 24th 2022 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Jolly Good (Post 13097043)
I would be careful making that comment. The way global warming is affecting our weather nowadays your Hell might freeze over!!!:lol::ohmy:

Oh please God! :thumbup: At present it just keeps getting hotter! :eek:

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 13097095)
If inflation takes off that pension freeze will become severe. I wouldnt be surprised if they extend the freeze for all expats. That would save quite a bit of cash and lose no votes.

It would lose a lot of expat votes, I'm sure, especially if they actually do away with the 15 year voting limit.

dougal03 Feb 24th 2022 12:31 pm

Pollyanna,it was interesting for me to read your comments on the lack of support given to ex-pats in the Commonwealth as well.I don´t believe that most people in UK are aware of that particularly or else have never given it a thought.So things have not changed since ,at least,the 1920´s when my Dad was sent to Oz. (Queensland!)under the now discredited child migrant scheme as a youngster.Strangely,while researching his experience there,someone from Australian Archives sent me by post a full report of what happened to his group en-route & arrival.Money changed hands between the 2 countries& they were no longer a concern for Britain.It really upset me but I had imagined things must have improved in more modern times.
But it seems that for anyone seeking an opportunity outside of this island is deemed a deserter,not patriotic.Whatever happened to think we have the Bulldog Spirit-or is it Peppa Pig now.

Shard Feb 24th 2022 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 13097196)
Pollyanna,it was interesting for me to read your comments on the lack of support given to ex-pats in the Commonwealth as well.I don´t believe that most people in UK are aware of that particularly or else have never given it a thought.So things have not changed since ,at least,the 1920´s when my Dad was sent to Oz. (Queensland!)under the now discredited child migrant scheme as a youngster.Strangely,while researching his experience there,someone from Australian Archives sent me by post a full report of what happened to his group en-route & arrival.Money changed hands between the 2 countries& they were no longer a concern for Britain.It really upset me but I had imagined things must have improved in more modern times.
But it seems that for anyone seeking an opportunity outside of this island is deemed a deserter,not patriotic.Whatever happened to think we have the Bulldog Spirit-or is it Peppa Pig now.

Whatever happened to not relying on Britain if you choose to leave ?

Derrygal Feb 24th 2022 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 13097196)

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13097214)
Whatever happened to not relying on Britain if you choose to leave ?

I wouldn't consider myself a deserter - I choose to leave - albeit following my husband (now ex-husband) here for a job. That said - I will always consider the UK my home and renew my British passport every 10 years even after I got American citizenship. I don't rely on Britain - nor should I. I have often thought of moving back, but my children and grand-children keep me here. Also - if I am honest I would feel guilty if I moved back and wanted to use the NHS (which I realize is in trouble). After all, I haven't paid taxes in the UK for over 30 years - I shouldn't and wouldn't expect anything from the UK.

Shard Feb 24th 2022 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 13097239)
I wouldn't consider myself a deserter - I choose to leave - albeit following my husband (now ex-husband) here for a job. That said - I will always consider the UK my home and renew my British passport every 10 years even after I got American citizenship. I don't rely on Britain - nor should I. I have often thought of moving back, but my children and grand-children keep me here. Also - if I am honest I would feel guilty if I moved back and wanted to use the NHS (which I realize is in trouble). After all, I haven't paid taxes in the UK for over 30 years - I shouldn't and wouldn't expect anything from the UK.

I'd say that's a spot on attitude. It's not deserting one's country, it's only moving elsewhere (let's call it off-island LOL). I don't think you need to feel guilty about using the NHS as a returning resident, it's in nowhere near as much trouble as the papers/policians like to make out. It's under strain (Covid) but isn't everywhere.

ArthurBrit Feb 24th 2022 1:48 pm

I must admit I do find it strange that someone would expect a government, be it Britain, Canada, Australia, Germany, or any country for that matter step up to ensure that an expat has a good life/good access to support in their new found land. To me an embassy is there for diplomats and tourists, not expats, an expat choses to break ties with their country, I also promote there being greater accesses to pension money should an expat deserve it through a lifetime of paying into the UK tax system.

In terms of my story, I left the UK as a young man, because I felt that I couldn't adequately support my family. My wife was Canadian so I did have an easy path to leave the UK and try my luck elsewhere. I never expected Britain to support me in any of this, I never voted in any referendum or election because although I grew up in the UK, I don't live there and the people of the UK do not need my views to potentially supersede theirs (Every vote counts and all that). My right was squandered when I decided to try for pastures new. Remember that I'm not in Canada as a representative of Britain so the British government owe me nothing.

I'm choosing to go back because I genuinely believe my kids will have a better life in the UK, not a perfect life, they won't be handed everything and they will need to work hard to benefit from the opportunities the UK offers (hopefully they work harder than I did). I've lived in both Canada and the UK and my personal opinion is that the UK is a much better fit to my lifestyle. Please bear in mind that my experiences in Winnipeg may be very different from someone else's in Winnipeg, or Calgary or Vancouver. My opinion isn't there to hurt people, or convince people, or bring them down in what they chose. It is exactly that, my opinion on what I find enjoyable in life.

I don't know your motivations for initially leaving the UK, Dougal and I don't know the motivations for returning. I don't wish to judge as it sounds like you are really having a hard time adjusting but I will say your stories do sound quite incoherent and quite unusual. You've skirted peoples questions as to whether you're in Scotland or Brighton (not that we need your personal address, but location really would play a role in whether you feel safe in a community or not). It also sounds from your posts as if you were forced back to the UK due to the referendum on Brexit (maybe I'm interpreting that wrong) however, being forced out of Spain and into Britain, I'd be pissed.

Maybe you could share a little more in regards to your story and then people can try to be more supportive, give you better suggestions on how to cope. Unfortunately when people have tried to coerce you into seeing some of the better thing the UK has to offer you were unable to provide a simple, sincere answer, there must surely be something.

dougal03 Feb 24th 2022 3:19 pm

You are entitled to use the NHS in the country where you are resident as you have to resume paying ALL your dues once again on return.Now I am paying my tax,council bills,water rates etc. in the place that I require those services.Just as I paid in Spain while I was there.There was a bit of bother though,while there,about "living under the radar Brits."using their then EHIC cards to access regularly free excellent health care from their NHS.They,of course,were non-residents,though I can´t comment on what happens in US,Derrygal
Most ex-pats,myself included especially since I had a business,did not rely on help from our Govn others may..But there is a British Embassy & British Consulate,tax payer funded,that arrange meetings at their request,send us updates etc.as their job is specifically to oversee the concerns & behaviour of British Nationals under their jurisdiction.At each meeting I signed in as requested so that they could record my attendance.You may remember such words as "Embassy staff member attended"when there is a news report of a serious incident of someone under arrest like Nazarin Radcliffe in Iraq.Her family in Hampshire feel SHE is abandoned.If this is the case & there is no one in authority who backs you,then you are stateless.No reason then for a large diplomatic staff since when leaving UK you would be informed that you are on your own.Doesn´t happen.Also few of the requested documents would be relevant to return,like my last utilities bill & stating the day,month & year (not when I left but)when I set foot on Spanish soil .After 4 decades I remember only that is was hotter than when I left! After the referendum result other countries rallied to support us particularly Dutch & Belgian,Mark Rutte was prominent in this.In my area,Scandinavians,the largest resident group,were scathing of our disregard from our own people & Norwegians are a non-eu country so neutral.

Helen1964 Feb 25th 2022 4:07 am

Sorry Dougal but I am no clearer as to why you felt you had to leave Spain. You lived there for decades so surely you could easily have applied for a residency card under the Withdrawal Agreement?
I know several people who had been living in Spain before 1 January 2021 and none of them had any problems getting a TIE card. They’re all still there.

Pollyana Feb 25th 2022 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13097243)
I'd say that's a spot on attitude. It's not deserting one's country, it's only moving elsewhere (let's call it off-island LOL). I don't think you need to feel guilty about using the NHS as a returning resident, it's in nowhere near as much trouble as the papers/policians like to make out. It's under strain (Covid) but isn't everywhere.

I never expected the UK to do anything to support me over here. I (foolishly) chose t marry someone who lived abroad and so i had to move. I never expected to take any UK benefits, including the NHS, with me, and was actually very surprised to find I would still be able to claim a UK pension. I don't expect to use the NHS until I have moved back permanently, and the same goes for any other benefits. I chose to leave, no reason why Britain should support me, even though I have always been proud to call myself British.
Australia may be a Commonwealth country but that its a completely separate nation, the idea f claiming privilege because I come from "the old country" horrifies me!

dougal03 Feb 25th 2022 11:42 am

Arthur,my comments are on about living in another part of europe as we were the only ones involved in the Brexit result.& like Pollyanna we did not get welfare payments like child benefit as it was then called.Healthcare was a reciprocal agreement between Britain & EU countries albeit we in Spain received far better than Spaniards resident in UK.Earlier posts show that I had left Scotland & I do regret using only other´s views on not going out at night as I have not myself experienced assault yet in the quiet backwater I reside in.I did used to have a business in Hove,Sussex & a 2nd in Brighton I wouldn´t care to go on a night out in that city nowadays however.
Helen,I had an appointment to get my TIE but gave it up for someone who was a new arrival to Spain as I was by then yet again undecided about leaving or staying.I think I am looking in a different mirror,age related.I am guessing that other posters are of working age,focused on career opportunities & employed by a European based Company which will give security regardless of your nationality.I am mid-80´s,retired past usual retirement age & had I still been operating my business there at Brexit,my decision would have been to stay.Unlike other self-employed Brits,my enterprise did not rely on British clients so there was no reason why it would not continue.But now I have joined the Old Fogies I have different worries like healthcare & pension rights.Since 2016/17 we have watched the constant issue of new rules,then a u-turn or no decision.Towards the end of 2020 our health cards were withdrawn ,to be re-issued by that December.Didn´t happen & not by early Feb.when I left.I wanted to continue to live the contented lifestyle I had in retirement with constancy the key.But a decision had to be made & I have to live with that now.It doesn´t mean I have to be complacent.Dear God,I see that some funeral plan companies have gone bust now in England !