British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Dougal03's views on UK after returning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/dougal03s-views-uk-after-returning-942802/)

robin1234 Feb 18th 2022 5:00 pm

Re: Dougal03's views on UK after returning

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 13095614)
Don't forget every year is different: So far January and February haven't been too bad this year.

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2022/0...ar-for-the-uk/

Last year was a different story.

Parts of the east coast have experienced their wettest winter on record. Tyne and Wear received 214% (319.1mm) of seasonal winter rainfall, making it Tyne and Wear’s wettest winter on record. Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Rutland’s winter season average rainfall all ranked as second wettest.
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-u...february-stats

Interesting! Because of the pandemic, I missed out on the English winter, 2020-21.

Helen1964 Feb 18th 2022 5:56 pm

“Being at home from dusk to dawn as if you venture out on foot during these times you could invite a passer-by to stab,kick or use some other form of sport on your person.”

Dougal, where on earth have you moved to? I thought you were supposed to be in Scotland but you seem to have gone south.

I’m still in France. I like it very much. But I also visit Northern Ireland several times a year and that’s great too. My family have had good experiences with the NHS there. People are generally very friendly and considerate towards others. The towns are generally clean and litter free. The food is good (better and more adventurous than France to be honest).
Yes, modern life and having to do everything online and not being able to speak to a human is a major pain in the a*se but it’s the same everywhere, France included. At least when I DO get through to a human in the UK they’re unfailingly pleasant.

It’s hard to know sometimes which aspects of life are genuinely worse than before and which bits only seem worse to me because my best years are behind me. Presumably every generation goes through this.

Can you go back to Spain or were you curmudgeonly there too?

Derrygal Feb 18th 2022 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Helen1964 (Post 13095223)
Quite apart from covid, I’m surprised the NHS hasn’t collapsed completely from the strain of caring for curmudgeonly old codgers who haven’t paid tax in the UK for decades and then have the gall to complain about it.

My thoughts - exactly!

Pollyana Feb 19th 2022 5:32 am

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 13095363)
You may not have heard about residency papers being cancelled but I can assure you it is true,in fact I watched my documents being put into the shredder & the lady in the office hugged me as I was clearly distressed & said she was so sorry that I was British!This was by instructions from HMRC & I was then informed that approval had been granted.Because of this I had no papers no record will be found of any medical history & of course not even a Bank card.This meant that I had to find a suitable self-isolating unit here which would take CASH..

C;early it is a different process when returning home from SPain than from anywhere else in the world as in my 20 years on BE I have never heard of anyone else having to destroy their paperwork before returning to live in the UK, no matter where they were coming from!

Originally Posted by Helen1964 (Post 13095687)
“Being at home from dusk to dawn as if you venture out on foot during these times you could invite a passer-by to stab,kick or use some other form of sport on your person.”

Dougal, where on earth have you moved to?

I'm wondering that too! I have friends and relatives in many parts of the UK and none of them are scared of going out between dusk and dawn (except possibly my elderly mother, but she lives in the middle of nowhere and s is worried about falling over a sleeping sheep!

Helen1964 Feb 19th 2022 8:06 am

Poor Dougal. I hope he perks up soon.

Shard Feb 19th 2022 10:58 am

Why did he have to destroy his paperwork? Was it destroying Spanish residency papers?

robin1234 Feb 19th 2022 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13095796)
C;early it is a different process when returning home from SPain than from anywhere else in the world as in my 20 years on BE I have never heard of anyone else having to destroy their paperwork before returning to live in the UK, no matter where they were coming from!

[size=33px]

[/size]

I wish someone would do me a favor and destroy most of my paperwork. We’ve got several filing cabinets full of it in the under stairs cupboard.

Shard Feb 19th 2022 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13095847)

I wish someone would do me a favor and destroy most of my paperwork. We’ve got several filing cabinets full of it in the under stairs cupboard.

I'm trying to decide what to do with papers and books. 20+ years into the internet/digital world they seem far less essential than they used to. In the past we would keep printed items as that was the only way to easily re-access the information, but now most things are available digitally. I'm thinking I could cut my book collection in half (at least) without shedding any real tears.

dougal03 Feb 19th 2022 3:58 pm

To answer some more of your questions- Yes I probably am just as grumpy.But for much of my adult life,after the AirForce,I have run my own business in Scotland,England south coast & Midlands & lastly in Spain until I retired.You quickly learn that your success depends on your ability to provide a competent satisfactory service for your clients.In fact,you can go under despite this as so many have discovered.Maybe my family were lucky.But when we arrived which was prior to Spain joining the EU(& that´s so different to later times)our competitors were mostly established non-British enterprises.My experience was that other Northern Europeans are much smarter than us which you may dispute no doubt but maybe some of that rubbed off on us as we prospered despite starting from scratch,just the correct licence to operate in place.Perhaps wrongly,I expect others especially Govn ones,to deliver the service properly that is needed & not give some lame excuse when that does not happen.3 years ago without warning my pension in my Spanish Bank was stopped by DWP.Later ,after numerous phone calls & a personal letter sent to T.Coffey requesting an explanation,it was credited & re-instated but still waiting for that explanation.Helen,I did originally stay for a few months in Scotland because once my papers were gone I had no ID left,no Bank card so had to carry cash.Then I had to find a suitable place to isolate which would take cash & it so happened,in the places I knew,it was Scotland.Couldn´t even buy a coffee on the plane which only took card payment but saved by kind flight attendant who helped.Perhaps this gives you an insight into why I find our Govn.are idiots. Many more other details getting there including when I tried to open a Bank account,another idiotic scenario, but to answer Shard´s query.Yes it was my residency that was cancelled.The green foolscap page(no longer for Brits the original plastic card which showed our thumb print) our "certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union" & authorised our "Numero de Identidad de Extranjero"(NIE).Now replaced after Brexit with TIE.The old meaning stated(& I can´t truthfully now say where I had that)"You have the full security & protection of the EU",the new one after Brexit simply "You are a National of a non-EU member"the reason that British Nationals now can only depend on Britain ,the EU has been blocked out.When I left on Jan.30th 2021 no Brit.that I knew had been re-issued their promised health card which had been invalid since previous Dec.31st.I could have had my Covid 1st jab done in my town but no-one could say if we were going to be charged as "private patient".I´m sure that by now it´s OK though.Likewise for the shipping companies.Mine was,like all from EU,shunted to the side as British Customs hadn´t known about the new paperwork.The Company I used says they are giving up coming to UK they can get plenty of business around europe without the hassle.And this was a legal British firm!

SanDiegogirl Feb 19th 2022 4:47 pm

Dougal03,
Could you please insert paragraphs in your long postings - would make it so much easier to read....

Helen1964 Feb 19th 2022 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 13095879)
To answer some more of your questions- Yes I probably am just as grumpy.But for much of my adult life,after the AirForce,I have run my own business in Scotland,England south coast & Midlands & lastly in Spain until I retired.You quickly learn that your success depends on your ability to provide a competent satisfactory service for your clients.In fact,you can go under despite this as so many have discovered.Maybe my family were lucky.But when we arrived which was prior to Spain joining the EU(& that´s so different to later times)our competitors were mostly established non-British enterprises.My experience was that other Northern Europeans are much smarter than us which you may dispute no doubt but maybe some of that rubbed off on us as we prospered despite starting from scratch,just the correct licence to operate in place.Perhaps wrongly,I expect others especially Govn ones,to deliver the service properly that is needed & not give some lame excuse when that does not happen.3 years ago without warning my pension in my Spanish Bank was stopped by DWP.Later ,after numerous phone calls & a personal letter sent to T.Coffey requesting an explanation,it was credited & re-instated but still waiting for that explanation.Helen,I did originally stay for a few months in Scotland because once my papers were gone I had no ID left,no Bank card so had to carry cash.Then I had to find a suitable place to isolate which would take cash & it so happened,in the places I knew,it was Scotland.Couldn´t even buy a coffee on the plane which only took card payment but saved by kind flight attendant who helped.Perhaps this gives you an insight into why I find our Govn.are idiots. Many more other details getting there including when I tried to open a Bank account,another idiotic scenario, but to answer Shard´s query.Yes it was my residency that was cancelled.The green foolscap page(no longer for Brits the original plastic card which showed our thumb print) our "certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union" & authorised our "Numero de Identidad de Extranjero"(NIE).Now replaced after Brexit with TIE.The old meaning stated(& I can´t truthfully now say where I had that)"You have the full security & protection of the EU",the new one after Brexit simply "You are a National of a non-EU member"the reason that British Nationals now can only depend on Britain ,the EU has been blocked out.When I left on Jan.30th 2021 no Brit.that I knew had been re-issued their promised health card which had been invalid since previous Dec.31st.I could have had my Covid 1st jab done in my town but no-one could say if we were going to be charged as "private patient".I´m sure that by now it´s OK though.Likewise for the shipping companies.Mine was,like all from EU,shunted to the side as British Customs hadn´t known about the new paperwork.The Company I used says they are giving up coming to UK they can get plenty of business around europe without the hassle.And this was a legal British firm!

You’re a very exasperating man, Dougal. Half of me wants to slap you and the other half wants to take you to my bosom and make you a cup of tea.

Helen1964 Feb 19th 2022 5:48 pm

Incidentally, where is this hellhole on the south coast where you can’t go out at night for fear of being stabbed? Portsmouth? Brighton? Surely not BUDLEIGH SALTERTON. We’re all agog.

Shard Feb 19th 2022 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Helen1964 (Post 13095898)
You’re a very exasperating man, Dougal. Half of me wants to slap you and the other half wants to hug you and make you a cup of tea.

I'd like to show Dougal the big square button on the keyboard than creates a new paragraph. Fantastic invention that.

robin1234 Feb 20th 2022 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13095905)
I'd like to show Dougal the big square button on the keyboard than creates a new paragraph. Fantastic invention that.

He uses the space bar rather idiosyncratically too. Or, fails to use it.

Helen1964 Feb 20th 2022 2:48 pm

I quite like it. He’s in expostulating mode.