Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by king kong
I have lived in both countries while the kids where young and to be honest there is no difference .
I noticed here though in australia the parents dont seem to let there kids down the park like we used to ,but once kids saw our kids more came out .
Everything has to more organised here with football ,karate etc so in the end all the parents do is drive the kids around every bloody evening instead of letting them out with all the kids in the neighbourhood .
My lads always played out here and the UK and we never worried ,we never wanted a couple of insular overweight kids who never knew how to interact .
I suppose at the end of the day as probably said a millon times but if your going to live in Belfast,glasgow,manchester ,liverpool,birmingham ,london your kids are going to grow up tough and street wise and will get used to violence just like any city in the world. Good luck with your decision .
Excellent could not of written your two threads any better....ditto everything you said....
Jackie
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:39 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Hiya

In short we are moving back to Perth because WE feel our kids will have a safer more relaxed upbringing. We are in a gorgeous country village in the uk at the minute and feel safe , BUT after being away and living in Perth for 16 months we have noticed a BIG change in the towns i wouldnt be happy for our eldest (14) walking to her friends if we lived closer to her, we are only about 4 miles away, where as in Perth she was out and about all the time and although i worried (as us mums do) it was nothing like the worry i have here.
I dont think anywhere is totally safe ( a desert island perhaps) but i definatley without a doubt think i will be a more relaxed mum in Perth.
Right or wrong who knows you just have to go with your gut!! Being back in the uk though has made me realise what a fab place it is just a shame about the some of the people!!!

Take Care

Kris xx
Hiya Kriss, I just want to say that I wouldn't have been happy for our son to walk home form his girlfriends house in Currambine along Burns Beach Road to Iluka, I always went to pick him up before he could drive. He walked home from Ocean Reef once, part the way with mates and then the rest of the way on his own. A group of lads in a car stopped along side him, almost as soon as his friends had turned into their roads and beat the living shit out of him. He was 16. He and a friend were on the train going to the WACA (during the day) and had to give up their money & phones, because they were threatened with knives and punched and kicked by a gang of both boys and girls who got on the train at Warwick. It happens everywhere. Recently our friends 14 year old was beaten to a pulp on a Sunday lunchtime down at Iluka Park by some kids who live in C'bine and Connolly. As the poor kid knew where one of the gang lived, our friends went to his house. The following w/e a large gang of kids gathered outside our friends house and started throwing rocks over the wall and at the front door and windows. The dad phoned for my OH to go up and help him sort them out, which he did, but they came back later and caused quite a bit of damage. The case is now going to court.

BTW Issie and Tracey, there are secondary schools here that have a police attendance and have done for many years.

Tracey, all I can say to you is that by reading your posts, I feel you are being too analytical and taking in all the tripe about the UK, probably much like you took in all the hype about Oz before you came here. Only you and your OH can make the decision, but for me personally, I regret enormously bringing our son here away from his extended family and always will. He has missed out on growing up with his cousins and spending precious time, holidays etc.with all our family, all of which are very close. We are going home next year when he finishes uni and nothing anyone says will make any difference. I know in my heart of hearts, even after 10½ long years here, that life for us was better back home and being with family means everything. My heart isn't here, I left it along with my soul in England. I just don't belong here. It's a shallow place and unless you have lots of $, you are pretty much stuck here with just beaches, ocean, Adventure World and parks.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
for me personally, I regret enormously bringing our son here away from his extended family and always will. He has missed out on growing up with his cousins and spending precious time, holidays etc.with all our family, all of which are very close. We are going home next year when he finishes uni and nothing anyone says will make any difference. I know in my heart of hearts, even after 10½ long years here, that life for us was better back home and being with family means everything. My heart isn't here, I left it along with my soul in England. I just don't belong here. It's a shallow place and unless you have lots of $, you are pretty much stuck here with just beaches, ocean, Adventure World and parks.
Good post, I echo some of your sentiments. Good luck with all your plans
Old Dec 13th 2007, 4:03 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Good post, I echo some of your sentiments. Good luck with all your plans
Thanks R. It's been a long hard haul to be honest, although we have had some good times, but you cannot turn back the years. I would always advise that if you do have close family and you spend time with them on a regular basis, think very seriously about migrating 'cos it ain't no short trip back home.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I would always advise that if you do have close family and you spend time with them on a regular basis, think very seriously about migrating 'cos it ain't no short trip back home.
Tell me about it! And a sizeable chunk of your yearly salary to boot!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:32 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Tracey, all I can say to you is that by reading your posts, I feel you are being too analytical and taking in all the tripe about the UK, probably much like you took in all the hype about Oz before you came here..
Totally agree with your post SGG. We too listened to all the tripe only to find we were totally duped. There are good and bad places everywhere. Good and bad people everywhere.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in both countries while the kids where young and to be honest there is no difference .
I noticed here though in australia the parents dont seem to let there kids down the park like we used to ,but once kids saw our kids more came out .
Everything has to more organised here with football ,karate etc so in the end all the parents do is drive the kids around every bloody evening instead of letting them out with all the kids in the neighbourhood .
My lads always played out here and the UK and we never worried ,we never wanted a couple of insular overweight kids who never knew how to interact .
I suppose at the end of the day as probably said a millon times but if your going to live in Belfast,glasgow,manchester ,liverpool,birmingham ,london your kids are going to grow up tough and street wise and will get used to violence just like any city in the world. Good luck with your decision .

Good post king kong. I also noticed that there were lots of empty parks with no kids in them when I arrived in oz. Seems to me parents spend all there time at week-ends driving there kids to sporting events.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:34 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
It's hard for anyone to be objective about this, not least because children are concerned! My personal view is that I would prefer not to bring up my child in the UK, but would far prefer the UK to some other English speaking countries/states. The problems I have with the UK as a parent are:
1. The weather means you are stuck indoors much more. Now Australia can get hot but I have never felt as trapped indoors. Without children, or with much older children, maybe not so bad, but with small children it is a pain in the arse. Of course you can get wrapped up, and also soaked, with a toddler walking at a snails pace.. We've done it. It's no fun.
2. Secondary schools are often of pretty poor quality compared to primary schools. Great primary schools where I live. Once they reach secondary schools - different story (often bored in first year or two if they came from a good primary).
3. I sense a general social deterioration in the UK that I never senses in Sydney. This is harder to pin down. I put a lot of the blame on a lack of investment in children (not formal education as such), by Governments.
4. We just find the UK an incredibly stressful place to live with children. This is just a straight comparison with Sydney. Stressful, and no fun.
5. I believe there is a big problem with risk taking (sexual, drugs, violence) among British kids. Sure, all kids take risks, but here it seems to be on a different level. This is borne out as a key finding in the UNICEF report.

On the plus side:
1. We have access to relatives, though they are all some hours away. Still, we can see them of a weekend if we are prepared to brave the traffic/airports. If family are on your doorstep, and you get on, this must be a big plus.
2. There are lots of very good primary schools. Both my sister and sister in law are primary teachers and give a good picture of primary education in Britain. Secondary is a different issue - but also in Australia.

This is just our personal experience. The key thing really is where you live. From my point of view, money is a far bigger contributor to quality of life than it is in much of Australia. If you have it, it makes a bigger difference here. But I'd like to see the playing field levelled somewhat. I would like to see the Government invest far more in children, even if this means reducing focus on the academic side of education.
Hi shoz i am intrigued by your post as obviously you are going to ping pong but i have read some of your previous posts and although you are entitled to change you mind ,god forbid i change mine 20 times a day ,i am wondering seriously wether you are looking through rose tinted glasses .
I am not in any way making a personal attack on you in anyway ,it just seemed you was so adamant that the uk was better at one time and i suppose it is what is working inside your head that seems to think its better here then there when infact it doesnt matter which way you look at it from Health,money ,housing ,violence in society ,drugs ,schooling are comparable .
On a personal note in regards to my own situation ,if and when i go back to the uk it will be because i love the country not my extended family etc which are often the wrong reasons to move back .
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:27 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Kriss, I just want to say that I wouldn't have been happy for our son to walk home form his girlfriends house in Currambine along Burns Beach Road to Iluka, I always went to pick him up before he could drive. He walked home from Ocean Reef once, part the way with mates and then the rest of the way on his own. A group of lads in a car stopped along side him, almost as soon as his friends had turned into their roads and beat the living shit out of him. He was 16. He and a friend were on the train going to the WACA (during the day) and had to give up their money & phones, because they were threatened with knives and punched and kicked by a gang of both boys and girls who got on the train at Warwick. It happens everywhere. Recently our friends 14 year old was beaten to a pulp on a Sunday lunchtime down at Iluka Park by some kids who live in C'bine and Connolly. As the poor kid knew where one of the gang lived, our friends went to his house. The following w/e a large gang of kids gathered outside our friends house and started throwing rocks over the wall and at the front door and windows. The dad phoned for my OH to go up and help him sort them out, which he did, but they came back later and caused quite a bit of damage. The case is now going to court.

BTW Issie and Tracey, there are secondary schools here that have a police attendance and have done for many years.

Tracey, all I can say to you is that by reading your posts, I feel you are being too analytical and taking in all the tripe about the UK, probably much like you took in all the hype about Oz before you came here. Only you and your OH can make the decision, but for me personally, I regret enormously bringing our son here away from his extended family and always will. He has missed out on growing up with his cousins and spending precious time, holidays etc.with all our family, all of which are very close. We are going home next year when he finishes uni and nothing anyone says will make any difference. I know in my heart of hearts, even after 10½ long years here, that life for us was better back home and being with family means everything. My heart isn't here, I left it along with my soul in England. I just don't belong here. It's a shallow place and unless you have lots of $, you are pretty much stuck here with just beaches, ocean, Adventure World and parks.
Great post and well done on giving this thread a reality check - in my 2 years in Perth I saw plenty of very undesirable behaviour from trouble makers on the streets - some as young as 10 and 11.

I hope you're back home where you belong soonxx
Old Dec 13th 2007, 1:14 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi shoz i am intrigued by your post as obviously you are going to ping pong but i have read some of your previous posts and although you are entitled to change you mind ,god forbid i change mine 20 times a day ,i am wondering seriously wether you are looking through rose tinted glasses .
I am not in any way making a personal attack on you in anyway ,it just seemed you was so adamant that the uk was better at one time and i suppose it is what is working inside your head that seems to think its better here then there when infact it doesnt matter which way you look at it from Health,money ,housing ,violence in society ,drugs ,schooling are comparable .
On a personal note in regards to my own situation ,if and when i go back to the uk it will be because i love the country not my extended family etc which are often the wrong reasons to move back .
We changed our mind in Australia roughly *one million times* about where we wanted to live. One issue was that we never planned to move there. A job was offered to me, and I snapped it up in about three seconds. We moved to Aus and thought, "oh, we live 12,000 miles away". (Though I don't know what can prepare anyone for such a move.) I suffered pretty extreme homesickness for a few months. Then we were 50/50, 60/40, 40/60 for a long time . I was quite open about this and generally saw pros and cons on both sides. (I even accepted a new job in Aus just before we returned, then rejected it. We didn't know what was for the best.) When we had a baby, my wife loved Aus once she found some friends as they were out every day in the park, by the beach, at the pool, etc. But family issues came into it, and I still longed for the vibe and geography of the UK as I had experienced it as a non-parent, and seeing some very good friends and family. Also I was in a low paying job (lecturer) on a single income, which did limit us somewhat (though somehow we were financially better off than we are now with me earning much more and wife working P/T). The family emphasis changed when my wife lost her Mum a week before we returned.

What we knew then is the same now - our day to day life was better in Australia, and our occasional life was better in the UK. The former is still quite true, the latter not really. What we did not account for is that what matters with a child (for us) is the day to day life because this has the most impact on our quality of life and stress. The occasional things that we enjoyed (hill walking, driving up and down the country, short breaks to Europe, going out here there and everywhere) without children are mostly now not feasible with children for us. Any enjoyment that they bring is outweighed by the sheer stress involved. As I say, this is different probably with older children, or with none. We did not factor this into our decision to return, but even if we had, it wouldn't have mattered enough until we felt it. And coming back was a great move, because had we not, we would STILL be wondering where to live, as are many other people on this forum who are still in Australia and were wondering where to live when I was there. That is not a good place to be. But in order to get out of this you have to convince yourself, one way or the other - otherwise you are stuck in Limbo. Many posts on here are from people trying to convince themselves by writing about their situation. That is a perfectly valid thing to do. It doesn't mean it will work out that way.

On moving back, the first summer was great, but come late 2006 there was no 50/50 any more - I knew we had outgrown the UK. And I have only had occasional doubts since (and none for many months). This is quite different to our time in Sydney, which was characterised by uncertainty (hence many Expat posts then, few now).

It really comes down to feelings. In Australia I experienced joy (an enormous sense of wellbeing, many times just walking to work - I put it down to sunlight), calm (again, sunlight related I think), fun (outdoors, a lot), isolation (miles from anywhere, stuck in Sydney, like living on an island), annoyance (during intense heat, especially with flies), light (important for me), positivity (infectious, sometimes annoyingly parochial), doubt (about where to live). In the UK, I experience stress (about the pace of life, traffic, cost of living), fear (about the future, about going out at night - much of it probably quite irrational on inspection), discomfort (cold, wet), dark (cloud, a lot), negativity/pessimism (among many people, expressed spontaneously and without prompting), certainty (about where to live), joy (which is unfortunately far too seasonal). I don't accept the Daily Mail view (God knows if it was the last newspaper on earth I would only use it for kindling material). I just accept my experience.

The important thing to emphasise is that these are just my feelings and perceptions, and I always try to make that clear. This is why almost everything on here is, depressingly, of very little use whatsoever in helping anyone to make a decision - most of it is simply not applicable. Everyone is in different situations with regard to expectations, values, family, interests, activities, careers, finances, etc. Even people living in places that would appall us may be more satisfied with life. We are both luck and unlucky to have a choice.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Dec 13th 2007 at 1:40 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TraceyW
You know what? I thank you all so much for taking the trouble to reply to my inane wafflings. I appreciate everyone's opinions so much and try to digest them all.

Like I said, February will be the final make or break decision time in this household. I have swung to and fro for years about this, debating, discussing, weighing up pro's and con's but it always always boils down to the same thing, I have never, and don't think I will ever, feel like Perth is my home.

So, February it is then. Do we move to a Devon village, or find somewhere else in Oz to try again?

Thanks again guys. Give yourselves a pat on the back for just being really nice people.
Whatever you decide dont think of it as a defeat, just another phase of a big adventure...life!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
We changed our mind in Australia roughly *one million times* about where we wanted to live. One issue was that we never planned to move there. A job was offered to me, and I snapped it up in about three seconds. We moved to Aus and thought, "oh, we live 12,000 miles away". (Though I don't know what can prepare anyone for such a move.) I suffered pretty extreme homesickness for a few months. Then we were 50/50, 60/40, 40/60 for a long time . I was quite open about this and generally saw pros and cons on both sides. (I even accepted a new job in Aus just before we returned, then rejected it. We didn't know what was for the best.) When we had a baby, my wife loved Aus once she found some friends as they were out every day in the park, by the beach, at the pool, etc. But family issues came into it, and I still longed for the vibe and geography of the UK as I had experienced it as a non-parent, and seeing some very good friends and family. Also I was in a low paying job (lecturer) on a single income, which did limit us somewhat (though somehow we were financially better off than we are now with me earning much more and wife working P/T). The family emphasis changed when my wife lost her Mum a week before we returned.

What we knew then is the same now - our day to day life was better in Australia, and our occasional life was better in the UK. The former is still quite true, the latter not really. What we did not account for is that what matters with a child (for us) is the day to day life because this has the most impact on our quality of life and stress. The occasional things that we enjoyed (hill walking, driving up and down the country, short breaks to Europe, going out here there and everywhere) without children are mostly now not feasible with children for us. Any enjoyment that they bring is outweighed by the sheer stress involved. As I say, this is different probably with older children, or with none. We did not factor this into our decision to return, but even if we had, it wouldn't have mattered enough until we felt it. And coming back was a great move, because had we not, we would STILL be wondering where to live, as are many other people on this forum who are still in Australia and were wondering where to live when I was there. That is not a good place to be. But in order to get out of this you have to convince yourself, one way or the other - otherwise you are stuck in Limbo. Many posts on here are from people trying to convince themselves by writing about their situation. That is a perfectly valid thing to do. It doesn't mean it will work out that way.

On moving back, the first summer was great, but come late 2006 there was no 50/50 any more - I knew we had outgrown the UK. And I have only had occasional doubts since (and none for many months). This is quite different to our time in Sydney, which was characterised by uncertainty (hence many Expat posts then, few now).

It really comes down to feelings. In Australia I experienced joy (an enormous sense of wellbeing, many times just walking to work - I put it down to sunlight), calm (again, sunlight related I think), fun (outdoors, a lot), isolation (miles from anywhere, stuck in Sydney, like living on an island), annoyance (during intense heat, especially with flies), light (important for me), positivity (infectious, sometimes annoyingly parochial), doubt (about where to live). In the UK, I experience stress (about the pace of life, traffic, cost of living), fear (about the future, about going out at night - much of it probably quite irrational on inspection), discomfort (cold, wet), dark (cloud, a lot), negativity/pessimism (among many people, expressed spontaneously and without prompting), certainty (about where to live), joy (which is unfortunately far too seasonal). I don't accept the Daily Mail view (God knows if it was the last newspaper on earth I would only use it for kindling material). I just accept my experience.

The important thing to emphasise is that these are just my feelings and perceptions, and I always try to make that clear. This is why almost everything on here is, depressingly, of very little use whatsoever in helping anyone to make a decision - most of it is simply not applicable. Everyone is in different situations with regard to expectations, values, family, interests, activities, careers, finances, etc. Even people living in places that would appall us may be more satisfied with life. We are both luck and unlucky to have a choice.
Fantastic, down to earth, reality check. Good for you that you have now discovered where you want to be. O.k, it may have cost a few quid, but peace of mind is priceless.

I hope you have a long and happy future ahead of you in Sydney
Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:08 am
'In limboland'

Health,money ,housing ,violence in society ,drugs ,schooling are comparable .On a personal note in regards to my own situation ,if and when i go back to the uk it will be because i love the country not my extended family etc which are often the wrong reasons to move back .
I agree and I too want to go home because I love the UK and what it has to offer and, it is where I feel I belong. We didn't leave with bitterness about the country, infact, quite the opposite. There were no programmes on tv about migration to Australia or any other country for that matter, so we weren't bowled over by any hype. We didn't have the internet to do any in depth research, we just took a holiday here in 1993 and thought it might be quite nice to live here for awhile. That has turned out to be the case, for awhile. I've done my time and I'm ready to go home. Coming back here gets harder each time we go home, so when our son graduates from uni', hopefully we are off.

Originally Posted by pommybird
Great post and well done on giving this thread a reality check - in my 2 years in Perth I saw plenty of very undesirable behaviour from trouble makers on the streets - some as young as 10 and 11.

I hope you're back home where you belong soonxx
Thanks alot P. Sometimes I think it's easy to forget that there are so few people here compared to the UK, but per capita, crime, drugs, violence etc.etc. is on a par. As has been said many times before, the Australian media has a narrow minded approach when it comes to reporting crime etc..The British media go too far.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:29 am
Account Closed

scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont worry at all about raising my kids in the UK, I worry very much about raising them in Australia.

I find Australian kids rude, loud with no manners or respect, in general for anything. Having spent the last couple of weeks using public transport, I am surprised to what I have witnessed - kids shouting, graffitying,littering and generally bullying old and elderly people who use public transport. It seems that their Australian parents let them out and dont care what they get up to. They take no responsibility - and to be honest, I find their Australian loud and brash voices annoy me on a daily basis.

I have spent two years working as a counsellor, and without breaching confidentiality, am more than 100% certain where I want to bring up my kids and its not here. Some of the stories I have been told, including over abuse of drugs, child sexual abuse, bullying, violence and crime have astounded me. I thought I was pretty switched on having lived in the UK, but no. I am leaving Australia for good in two days time and just cant wait to go.

No, in my opinion, its not a better place to raise kids. In my opinion Australia is full of false people, they tell you they feel good, when they dont, they ask you how your day's going, and dont want to know when its not going well. They appear friendly, kind and helpful. If you dig deeper, there is nothing there - no intelligence, no empathy, no etiquette, no character. In two years I have not made any Australian friends, put it honestly, I dont like them as people, dont like their culture, and more importantly I dont want my kids raised as Australians. I am proud to be British... and so will they be.

My opinion, I know......each to their own.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:43 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
I dont worry at all about raising my kids in the UK, I worry very much about raising them in Australia.

I find Australian kids rude, loud with no manners or respect, in general for anything. Having spent the last couple of weeks using public transport, I am surprised to what I have witnessed - kids shouting, graffitying,littering and generally bullying old and elderly people who use public transport. It seems that their Australian parents let them out and dont care what they get up to. They take no responsibility - and to be honest, I find their Australian loud and brash voices annoy me on a daily basis.

I have spent two years working as a counsellor, and without breaching confidentiality, am more than 100% certain where I want to bring up my kids and its not here. Some of the stories I have been told, including over abuse of drugs, child sexual abuse, bullying, violence and crime have astounded me. I thought I was pretty switched on having lived in the UK, but no. I am leaving Australia for good in two days time and just cant wait to go.

No, in my opinion, its not a better place to raise kids. In my opinion Australia is full of false people, they tell you they feel good, when they dont, they ask you how your day's going, and dont want to know when its not going well. They appear friendly, kind and helpful. If you dig deeper, there is nothing there - no intelligence, no empathy, no etiquette, no character. In two years I have not made any Australian friends, put it honestly, I dont like them as people, dont like their culture, and more importantly I dont want my kids raised as Australians. I am proud to be British... and so will they be.

My opinion, I know......each to their own.
Wow! Strong opinions, but much of it I have to agree with sadly. All the best back in blighty S', just wish it was my turn. I am just praying that once we've left here, our son doesn't decide to return if he gets married and has children of his own. The thought of having a grandchild growing up as an Australian depresses me somewhat, for reasons I shan't bother going into on here, but they are many and all heartfelt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.