Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by Elvira
You couldn't make it up...
My thoughts exactly!!!
Lissaloo why are you looking at this thread??????? Its about moving back to uk, obviously we have not found what you are looking for!!
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lissaloo
hi well we are going to emigrate because the uk in my opinion is fast going down hill ! where i was born they have schools where if your white you are th odd one out! and the houes rents and prices are just stupid , how are our kids going to be able to buy a house they will live at home forever at this rate!!
Sorry uk but it's all for the imagrants and asylem seekers the brits get nout ! I wouldn't mind being the minority in another country but not my own !!

(im not being racist just saying how i feel)
It isnt that much different here, I hate to tell you. Houses are pretty much out of young people's price range here too and the interest rates are higher. Personally I couldnt face a 400,000 mortgage and that is bottom of the range around here, not to mention the stamp duty etc. We have immigrants (you will be one of them) too and to some extent it peeves me when people on this site post "what am I going to be entitled to when I get there?" Most of us poor sucker tax payers dont get any benefits and those coming here with no money and no jobs expect hand outs.

I would love to go back to UK to try and make it a better place with a better image. I would definitely like the opportunity at the ballot box to make a difference! I think the difference is that you have the Daily Fail which does its best to denigrate Britain and everything British but if anyone dares voice an opinion about the things in Aus that suck, they are slapped down in no time flat.

There are other reasons that we, who want to go home, actually want to go - not just family and friends, lots of other more ephemeral reasons. I think it is interesting that many of those wanting to go home have been here a good many years now - it hasnt necessarily been better for our kids, we havent had a life at the beach or the barbie, we have struggled with mortgages, inept management, politically correct government and all sorts of things that make this not the best place to live despite the weather (how many prospective migrants put the weather as one of their top choices!!!).

It would be a really interesting project to monitor sites such as these for a few years and see how the stories change - I suspect there will be quite a few who "come for the dream life, better life for the kids etc" after a few years will have decided that it was all a ghastly mistake. I guess these sites are self selecting so you would have a skewed popluation but it would be interesting to chart the before and after stories nevertheless!

I only found this site relatively recently when I followed a thread about something completely non migration related. For me it was a breath of fresh air to find that I was not alone in my hatred (yup, it has come to that I'm afraid) of the place I have to call home and that there were others out there who were similarly disillusioned and wanting to go home to a place where I feel whole. I have given this place half of my life so I have given it a good go - my kids have grown up OK, one has gone home (he left there at 6 months and grew up here) because of better prospects in UK (and is contemplating buying his own home). We have a home with no mortgage and we have enough money that I can go home for regular trips but here, I am but half the person I need to be.

And before anyone hops in and tells me to go home then, please realize that for some of us, that just is not possible for a whole range of reasons - it is a silly and simplistic comment.

(having a bad day!)
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:34 pm

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

but if anyone dares voice an opinion about the things in Aus that suck, they are slapped down in no time flat.
BackHomeatLast is just about to find that out I think 'A' for effort in donning the asbestos suit and venturing into the Godzone armed with the truth though
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
It isnt that much different here, I hate to tell you. Houses are pretty much out of young people's price range here too and the interest rates are higher. Personally I couldnt face a 400,000 mortgage and that is bottom of the range around here, not to mention the stamp duty etc. We have immigrants (you will be one of them) too and to some extent it peeves me when people on this site post "what am I going to be entitled to when I get there?" Most of us poor sucker tax payers dont get any benefits and those coming here with no money and no jobs expect hand outs.

I would love to go back to UK to try and make it a better place with a better image. I would definitely like the opportunity at the ballot box to make a difference! I think the difference is that you have the Daily Fail which does its best to denigrate Britain and everything British but if anyone dares voice an opinion about the things in Aus that suck, they are slapped down in no time flat.

There are other reasons that we, who want to go home, actually want to go - not just family and friends, lots of other more ephemeral reasons. I think it is interesting that many of those wanting to go home have been here a good many years now - it hasnt necessarily been better for our kids, we havent had a life at the beach or the barbie, we have struggled with mortgages, inept management, politically correct government and all sorts of things that make this not the best place to live despite the weather (how many prospective migrants put the weather as one of their top choices!!!).

It would be a really interesting project to monitor sites such as these for a few years and see how the stories change - I suspect there will be quite a few who "come for the dream life, better life for the kids etc" after a few years will have decided that it was all a ghastly mistake. I guess these sites are self selecting so you would have a skewed popluation but it would be interesting to chart the before and after stories nevertheless!

I only found this site relatively recently when I followed a thread about something completely non migration related. For me it was a breath of fresh air to find that I was not alone in my hatred (yup, it has come to that I'm afraid) of the place I have to call home and that there were others out there who were similarly disillusioned and wanting to go home to a place where I feel whole. I have given this place half of my life so I have given it a good go - my kids have grown up OK, one has gone home (he left there at 6 months and grew up here) because of better prospects in UK (and is contemplating buying his own home). We have a home with no mortgage and we have enough money that I can go home for regular trips but here, I am but half the person I need to be.

And before anyone hops in and tells me to go home then, please realize that for some of us, that just is not possible for a whole range of reasons - it is a silly and simplistic comment.

(having a bad day!)
What a lovely honest thread!!
Your right if you mention that actually you dont like oz enough to miss all your family etc in uk, you are frowned on!!
It is nice but just that nice!!We have only been here since Aug 07 and know that we do not want to spend the rest of our lives here. Then I here stories that 1 child goes back the other wants to stay, and it just becomes to difficult to leave etc... I feel if we are back in the uk that is home, and if the kids want to explore the world they can but they always will have a home in UK.
I just posted on another thread, the chap said 'try a holiday before moving to oz etc..' I replied good advice (however we did) and that we are working twice as hard here etc...and I was shot down telling me I was lazy etc....I am a nurse working every weekend and late shifts til 10pm etc... with 3 kids moved to oz... etc...etc... I dont think anyone is lazy who moves to oz IT IS bloody hard work, and even harder when you realise it is not for you!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:08 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsxrmad
HI Everyone!!
I have been following this thread as I too am going back to england.
You have all been so brave to cope with all the bullying etc. St. Georges girl, how long have you been here? What a terrible thing to happen I would have been in a heap.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, because when you decide to go home people think you are mad, and you should love australia!!
Lorraine
We've been here nearly 11 years. Which suburb are you in?

hi well we are going to emigrate because the uk in my opinion is fast going down hill ! where i was born they have schools where if your white you are th odd one out! and the houes rents and prices are just stupid , how are our kids going to be able to buy a house they will live at home forever at this rate!!
Sorry uk but it's all for the imagrants and asylem seekers the brits get nout ! I wouldn't mind being the minority in another country but not my own !!

Oh dear.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:22 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

(having a bad day!)
What an excellent post Quoll

For quite a while i have had this though running around my mind that it is really quite sad that htese people are ditiching the UK. Even myself to a small extent, even though I iddnt leave because I hated UK. I left because i married a foreigner and wanted to see his part of the world initially, but i do feel a smigeon of guilt. Probably a bit daft in a logical sense.
It has started to leave a bitter taste in my mouth when i hear all these people slagging off the UK but instead of staying to stand up and fight, scutter off and dump it.
This is all irrational stuff from me and i know it, but that is what my heart says underneath.
Lets face it. If all the brits bugger off and leave there wont be a "Britain" as we know it in the future. It will lose all identity and just be a mass of immigrants a bit like Australia is now!!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:24 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
BackHomeatLast is just about to find that out I think 'A' for effort in donning the asbestos suit and venturing into the Godzone armed with the truth though
PMSL

Well i just got a dose in there too in his defence, but truly, i dont give a stuff.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
We've been here nearly 11 years. Which suburb are you in?

Oh dear.
OMG 11 years and you are still sane!! Lol
We live in Hocking its like a ghost town, no kids playing out etc.... However loads of graffity!! How does that happen????WHen there is no one about!!!
We have tried my daughter goes dancing, gym etc.. arena and tried scotts and cubs.
But we still want to go home!!

Thanks guys for sticking up for me on other post, some people have some strange ideas!!! Why do they go on this sites to criticise people??? I read other people updates etc... the ones who love it and why? and the ones who leave etc...

WHATEVER!!!!! thats my opinion!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:49 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by gsxrmad
OMG 11 years and you are still sane!! Lol
We live in Hocking its like a ghost town, no kids playing out etc.... However loads of graffity!! How does that happen????WHen there is no one about!!!
We have tried my daughter goes dancing, gym etc.. arena and tried scotts and cubs.
But we still want to go home!!

Thanks guys for sticking up for me on other post, some people have some strange ideas!!! Why do they go on this sites to criticise people??? I read other people updates etc... the ones who love it and why? and the ones who leave etc...

WHATEVER!!!!! thats my opinion!!!!
And good for you. Many people that use BE and are going back are too scared to use the barbie. I think thats really quite sad. We are still in Australia and have a perfect right to post AND post what we feel. The problem is that it is very much a pro Australia section and some, but not all, (some lovely posters in there honest!!) find it hard to accept another opinion but their own. I have thought about it and come to the conclusion that maybe those of us who admit we dont want to be here somehow make them uncomfortable in THEIR decisions... maybe...maybe not. But there does seem to be a need to keep emphasising what a great decision it was all the time, and those who do not sing from the same hymn sheet are painted as either a weirdo, dumbarse or inadequate in some way. But hey!! who cares! This is the internet, no one can hurt you and the worse thing that can happen is someone you dont give a toss about can write a load of bulldust about you yet it will never have an effect on your real life... so i say go for your life and have fun If they want to make an arse of themselves thats their perogitive.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you would be happy anywhere you go but look on the bright side the UK will definitely be better off without you
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:33 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say something but instead I will bite my tongue....please don't come to Canada though, I hear Australia is really nice.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:39 am
I don't give a damn

Jesus wept, help me bawwb (as my scottish ex husband would say )

I dont know what she is going to do when she gets here and finds out theres a whole country full of immigrants here.
Including, lebanese, iranaians, sudanese, Indians, Pakistanis, polish, serbs, greeks, italians,... oh... and poms,scots, and Irish.... never mind the aboriginals in the outback who may well feel just the same about her coming here. She best stay on the city beaches
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Jesus wept, help me bawwb (as my scottish ex husband would say )

I dont know what she is going to do when she gets here and finds out theres a whole country full of immigrants here.
Including, lebanese, iranaians, sudanese, Indians, Pakistanis, polish, serbs, greeks, italians,... oh... and poms,scots, and Irish.... never mind the aboriginals in the outback who may well feel just the same about her coming here. She best stay on the city beaches
What, no Welsh?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:50 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Elvira
What, no Welsh?
Oh no!! How could I forget... and to think my auntie Cissy lives in Swansea! .... boyo
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I realise you are a new member but this forum is for people who wish to move back to the UK and those who can help them. You seem to fit into neither category...so would you please refrain from posting in this forum. I suggest you post in the BE forum for whatever country you are hoping to move to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.