Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Poor little mite. Surely the teachers had a chat to the children about ezcema/asthma?
No, they never did anything. In fact they used to say he was the 'trouble maker' because he didn't just take it from them and used to give the a bit of backchat. But the amount of times he came home with his clothes torn, or bruises where they had belted him was too many to count.

My son also had mild ezcema and asthma, but wasn't bullied because of that. The bullying only started at his first school here. He would always finish his work first and was good with computers, so the teacher used to let him go into the library to get info for him from the computer. I think that's what started it. Then he was chosen by the school to read at the Anzac Day service in Kings Park here in Perth. He was in the school library one day when afew lads walked in and kicked the book he was looking at. One of them, the ringleader, called him gay because he liked reading and that was it. From that day, they would line up to kick him, call him gay, throw his lunch in the sand and tip his water on it. He would come home black and blue, but tell me it was play fighting. I asked why his lunch box was always wet and he said he didn't know, so I got suspicious. Then he pleaded with me to tell the teacher that he couldn't do the reading for Anzac Day, so finally I got it out of him. I went to see the teacher and he said my son could speak at the school service instead. Two days later I got an emergency phone call from the school. He had been beaten to a pulp. The doctor thought his jaw was broken and his eye was so badly cut that we could see his bone. It was horrendous. Thankfully his jaw wasn't broken, but he had to have regular visits to the hospital for his eye. It took over a year for the awful lump on his pupil to disappear.

I had threatened afew kids before, but they just called me names and laughed, which made me even more angry. They know the police can do nothing. We changed our sons school 3 times. They were awful times.

That is just so awful. Even though mine was bullied, it never was that bad. I'm glad it's all behind him now.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:20 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

It just breaks your heart doesn't it, you feel so helpless. When my son was in year 12, a neighbours daughter was in year 9 and was being mentally bullied by a group of girls at their school. The trouble was, they would carry it on in the evenings via txt's and msn. I told my son this was going on, after having her mother tell me about it. I found out a week later that my son had quietly gone and spoken to the girls and one boy who was involved in the bullying and, given them a warning that he would be looking out for our neighbours daughter from then on and would report any bullying to the Student Principal. He didn't tell me this, the mother and grandmother came up to the house to thank my son in person for protecting the daughter and putting a stop to the bullying. They had also informed the schools Student Principal and we got a wonderful letter saying they were proud to have him as a student in their school and that it would go down on his student record. I was a proud mum that day.
Just terrible, all of it.
But i guess the only consolation you can take from something like this is that it will make your son and other kids who have suffered in this way far more mindful of other peoples feelings and a better person for it.
Good luck to him
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by guest5234
Please do not belive all the bullshit in the papers and the media about whats wrong with the UK, it is blown-up vastly out of proportion by our pathetic media, the same goes on in many Countries, in Paris I saw more ferrell youths gathered in gangs than I ever have in the UK.
Couldn't agree more, Paris is certainly not a good place to be.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:03 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
No, they never did anything. In fact they used to say he was the 'trouble maker' because he didn't just take it from them and used to give the a bit of backchat. But the amount of times he came home with his clothes torn, or bruises where they had belted him was too many to count.
That is just so awful. Even though mine was bullied, it never was that bad. I'm glad it's all behind him now.
Bullying is dreadful in any form Wendy. It hurts you like hell doesn't it?

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Just terrible, all of it.
But i guess the only consolation you can take from something like this is that it will make your son and other kids who have suffered in this way far more mindful of other peoples feelings and a better person for it.
Good luck to him
Well hello Flea, how nice to finally 'see' you.

Well I do hope so Flea and I was so proud that he put forward his support for our neighbours daughter and without making a fuss too. He has made a number of friends at uni in the past 3 years and has had a serious girfriend for 3 years also, so he is quite happy now I think. He's certainly grown up that's for sure. He has always been a softie, but a sociable child too, so I know the bullying knocked the stuffing out of him. He had so many friends back home. When he left his nursery to go to school at age 4½, one of the qualified teachers there said that he would never be bullied and would never be a bully either. She said they will all miss him as he was not only pleasant but fun too, whatever that meant.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Bullying is dreadful in any form Wendy. It hurts you like hell doesn't it?

Well hello Flea, how nice to finally 'see' you.

Well I do hope so Flea and I was so proud that he put forward his support for our neighbours daughter and without making a fuss too. He has made a number of friends at uni in the past 3 years and has had a serious girfriend for 3 years also, so he is quite happy now I think. He's certainly grown up that's for sure. He has always been a softie, but a sociable child too, so I know the bullying knocked the stuffing out of him. He had so many friends back home. When he left his nursery to go to school at age 4½, one of the qualified teachers there said that he would never be bullied and would never be a bully either. She said they will all miss him as he was not only pleasant but fun too, whatever that meant.
Your boy sounds like a really lovely lad. What a tough time he has been through. I can imagine, as a parent, that it must be really hard to reconcile your move here when it sounds like he's had quite an awful time of it when you moved here for a "better life". That must be an awful feeling as parents when we all try and do the best for our kids. I wish you the best for your move back.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Little shits, I can't imagine the pain you'd go through as a parent with bullying, thankfully my kids have been ok so far. Its only natural you want to protect your child, but you can't always do so. I'd bloody wring those bullys necks!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:25 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Poor little mite. Surely the teachers had a chat to the children about ezcema/asthma? My son also had mild ezcema and asthma, but wasn't bullied because of that. The bullying only started at his first school here. He would always finish his work first and was good with computers, so the teacher used to let him go into the library to get info for him from the computer. I think that's what started it. Then he was chosen by the school to read at the Anzac Day service in Kings Park here in Perth. He was in the school library one day when afew lads walked in and kicked the book he was looking at. One of them, the ringleader, called him gay because he liked reading and that was it. From that day, they would line up to kick him, call him gay, throw his lunch in the sand and tip his water on it. He would come home black and blue, but tell me it was play fighting. I asked why his lunch box was always wet and he said he didn't know, so I got suspicious. Then he pleaded with me to tell the teacher that he couldn't do the reading for Anzac Day, so finally I got it out of him. I went to see the teacher and he said my son could speak at the school service instead. Two days later I got an emergency phone call from the school. He had been beaten to a pulp. The doctor thought his jaw was broken and his eye was so badly cut that we could see his bone. It was horrendous. Thankfully his jaw wasn't broken, but he had to have regular visits to the hospital for his eye. It took over a year for the awful lump on his pupil to disappear.

I had threatened afew kids before, but they just called me names and laughed, which made me even more angry. They know the police can do nothing. We changed our sons school 3 times. They were awful times.
That 's absolutely horrendous - I've never heard of such an awful case of bullying.

However what goes around comes around - I'm sure one day those little sh*ts will get what they deserve.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:50 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Your boy sounds like a really lovely lad. What a tough time he has been through. I can imagine, as a parent, that it must be really hard to reconcile your move here when it sounds like he's had quite an awful time of it when you moved here for a "better life". That must be an awful feeling as parents when we all try and do the best for our kids. I wish you the best for your move back.
Well actually R I'm one of the strange ones as we didn't come here for a better life. We just wanted to try something different, live abroad for awhile. Our lives were good back home and we lived in a lovely area. When all the bullying was going on we felt so guilty, as though we were being punished for taking our son away from his family and friends, from his safe, secure life, if you can understand that. Then my OH had his accident, we had 3 years of court hearings with the builders, then the break-ins, car damage and yet more bullying and I guess it all took it's toll on me. Now I just want to go home.

Originally Posted by pommybird
That 's absolutely horrendous - I've never heard of such an awful case of bullying.

However what goes around comes around - I'm sure one day those little sh*ts will get what they deserve.
Well I did hear that one of them has recently had his car stolen and I have to admit, that I wasn't sorry for the lad.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Jan 19th 2008 at 12:57 am.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

amzng grace is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
You know what? I thank you all so much for taking the trouble to reply to my inane wafflings. I appreciate everyone's opinions so much and try to digest them all.

Like I said, February will be the final make or break decision time in this household. I have swung to and fro for years about this, debating, discussing, weighing up pro's and con's but it always always boils down to the same thing, I have never, and don't think I will ever, feel like Perth is my home.

So, February it is then. Do we move to a Devon village, or find somewhere else in Oz to try again?

Thanks again guys. Give yourselves a pat on the back for just being really nice people.
hi i came from scotland and have lived in perth and melbourne i am going back to scotland with my 2 kids in august i have had the moving dilemma for 20 years i went back last year for a holiday i didnt want to leave so mind made up home is where the heart is
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

HI Everyone!!
I have been following this thread as I too am going back to england.
You have all been so brave to cope with all the bullying etc. St. Georges girl, how long have you been here? What a terrible thing to happen I would have been in a heap.
We too came from a good area and had a good life and house etc.. Thought we would try something different, and give the kids more opportunities, better schools, outdoor life etc.... Boy how wrong was I!!!!!!
Luckily, we rented our house out at home so we intend to go back there!
You dont realise what you had til its gone, we miss our family and friends, and find we actually go out less here than at home.
I was worried to take my kids back to the uk, because of the violence and drugs etc (son is 17) I soon learnt that all that happens here but is not in the media just swept under the carpet.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, because when you decide to go home people think you are mad, and you should love australia!!
Lorraine
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:22 pm
Banned

lissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nicelissaloo is just really nice

hi well we are going to emigrate because the uk in my opinion is fast going down hill ! where i was born they have schools where if your white you are th odd one out! and the houes rents and prices are just stupid , how are our kids going to be able to buy a house they will live at home forever at this rate!!
Sorry uk but it's all for the imagrants and asylem seekers the brits get nout ! I wouldn't mind being the minority in another country but not my own !!

(im not being racist just saying how i feel)
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:36 pm

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lissaloo
hi well we are going to emigrate because the uk in my opinion is fast going down hill ! where i was born they have schools where if your white you are th odd one out! and the houes rents and prices are just stupid , how are our kids going to be able to buy a house they will live at home forever at this rate!!
Sorry uk but it's all for the imagrants and asylem seekers the brits get nout ! I wouldn't mind being the minority in another country but not my own !!

Are you going to Australia? Your spelling indicates that you'll fit in well.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

Hi Where are you moving to??
All those problems you mentioned are in oz!!! We can not afford to get on the property ladder let alone our children, prices in WA have rocketed. A few years ago you could buy a block of land $100 000 then build a fanastic house for $150000 (roughly, depending on areas). The ideal place for us would be burns beach, overlooking the sea etc... $800 000 just for the plot of land!!! In land you may be able to get a block of land for $280 000, but the blocks are tiny now, they have no or very little garden, not enough for that dream pool!!!!!
We too are not racist!!! we are now imigrants ourselves living in oz!!!!! and we felt the same as you no body seemed to speak english anymore in uk etc...
But you leave one country to go to another country for abetter life can be alittle bit naive!! I myself would never have admitted that until living here!!!
In my opinion both countries have different things to offer, but no one country is better than the other, it is just personal prefences!!
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry my spelling is just as bad, been in oz toooooo long!!!! I also swear alot now and live on takeaways LOL.

It is a shame that people feel they need to go half way round the world for a better life, why not try a better area in the uk???
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

You couldn't make it up...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.