Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:28 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
Great points St Georges Girl......All these extra taxes and things you have to pay for mounts up over the year.Dont forget that also there is no Guarantee in Australia for a state pension....you only get a pension if you dont have private income and because super is compulsory there not many people in future will get one...unless you haven't worked. My mum is better of over in Aus because she has no other income and has no private super but my brother in law who has a senior job at Alcoa and earns very good money wont get any state help after working for 40+ years at retirement....because his superan, which he has to pay into will put him over the threshold....
I have a good idea that's going to be the same with us if we stay Mike. We already built up a fair amount back home and here also now, but we have an investment property which a builder uses as a show home so pays us a monthly rent. That will help towards our retirement eventually, we hope.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

AMBERJADE78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Issie
Hi Tracey

I havent lived in Australia ( but will be in 6 weeks ) but i agree with all your above post. I also agree that it does exsist too in Australia but not on the level it does here.

I live in a little local village just outside Liverpool and a few months ago a little boy of 5 years was expelled from one of our local schools for bringing a knife into school.

The playgrounds are nothing to write home and yes they are full of dog sh*t and gangs of kids who are so cocky that i feel scared to approach them so i don't go to the parks that much.

From what little bit of Australia i have seen i know that i am doing the right thing especially as my kids are little .......they deserve the chance to be kids and have some freedom.....some outdoor life instead of being couped up indoors as the weather is so crap........Summer this year was abismal ......and they couldn't play out that much so we ended up taking them to indoor expensive venues which were overcrowded and crap !!!

This is just my views and i want to say again i know that Australia does have its own problems so i have not got rose tinted glasses on ....

Good luck with your decision ...... And like Danny has said ......my kids have survived too so its not all that bad
Hi, I share your concerns regarding raising my kids in the UK. I was reluctant to emigrate to any country (much to the dissmay of my DH) before the birth of my first daughter, but not long after, it was me that sugessted we make the move. No to mention the lack of space, overcrowdedness, high costs of living, perpetual crap weather, blah blah blah....

I know that Australia has its problems, as does every country, but I feel we have to make this move now, while the kids are still young (20mths & newborn), as I dont want to grow old in the UK, only to regret not attempting to give them the best possible chances in life. I dont think they will get that in the UK (sad though that is)

Time will tell if I am to be proved wrong.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AMBERJADE78
Hi, I share your concerns regarding raising my kids in the UK. I was reluctant to emigrate to any country (much to the dissmay of my DH) before the birth of my first daughter, but not long after, it was me that sugessted we make the move. No to mention the lack of space, overcrowdedness, high costs of living, perpetual crap weather, blah blah blah....

I know that Australia has its problems, as does every country, but I feel we have to make this move now, while the kids are still young (20mths & newborn), as I dont want to grow old in the UK, only to regret not attempting to give them the best possible chances in life. I dont think they will get that in the UK (sad though that is)

I really do wish you the best, and many people do very well in Australia.

However many of the things you mention exist in any country and that often only becomes apparent when you have been living in that country for a while.

I have kids of a very similar age to you. Do I really think they will have less chances in the UK than Canada? nope.

Living expenses suck wherever you live in the world, I for one find I spend a very similar amount in Canada as to what I did back in the UK for a very similar lifestyle. You may find that the same goes for Australia.

I truly believe that the majority of people do succeed at emigration, and chances are you will be one of them but your reasoning behind leaving the UK is setting of alarm bells.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:26 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

The UK has a much stronger economy than Aus, most people on these boards seem to suggest Aus education is behind the UK, and thousands of young Australians all head for the UK citing career opportunies as a big pull.

... as I dont want to grow old in the UK, only to regret not attempting to give them the best possible chances in life. I dont think they will get that in the UK (sad though that is)
I still don't understand this.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I honestly don't see how you compare? For a start, income tax deductions are alot more here, then not only do you have to pay a medicare levy at the end of the year, you have to pay when you visit the doc's too. Prescriptions have gone through the roof in the last 10 years, you pay FID, tax on used cars and the list goes on. You just cannot compare like for like.

My OH does charge less per hour here than his counterparts back home, but he works much longer hours and never takes a holiday. He is a workaholic, unfortunately, but he says he has to do the hours he puts in to bring home enough. I disagree, but that's another story. He also pays his super from what he earns and so do I. We also have Ambulance cover and a small private health insurance for our needs which we wouldn't need back home. To even try to compare to my mind is just pointless.
Hi SGG,
Are you or your husband self employed over here or do you work for employers?? If your OH works for someone and he is in a trade he might be significantly better off being self employed and he can then claim tax relief on a large proportion of his outgoings eg. fuel, car duty etc. etc.
We too find living here expensive and costly, and haven't been hit by the medicare levy yet cos we haven't been here a year yet!!! Heaven help us when that gets here!!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

No matter which way you swing it... all I know is at the end of each week after all the usual deductions and household bills I have a lot more cash in the bank, I eat out more, don't worry about bills, save loads and no longer need a credit card to get me through the month. We live an enviable lifestyle in oz which we are truely grateful for and wake up every morning thanking our lucky stars. Death and taxes...Same shit, different country!!!! We had a good time in the UK and loved it dearly, the good and the bad. Both have plus points and negatives. Monetary comparables are hard. But the big picture for my family is we are better off financially and much, much happier with 'our lot' here in Queensland
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:51 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robclaridge
No matter which way you swing it... all I know is at the end of each week after all the usual deductions and household bills I have a lot more cash in the bank, I eat out more, don't worry about bills, save loads and no longer need a credit card to get me through the month. We live an enviable lifestyle in oz which we are truely grateful for and wake up every morning thanking our lucky stars. Death and taxes...Same shit, different country!!!! We had a good time in the UK and loved it dearly, the good and the bad. Both have plus points and negatives. Monetary comparables are hard. But the big picture for my family is we are better off financially and much, much happier with 'our lot' here in Queensland
Rob, can i just applaud your attitude and demeanour when posting in here. It is a breath of fresh air to find someone who is happy in Aus, yet does not discredit, dismiss, abuse or ridicule those who are not. Good luck to you and your family
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a chance you take when you migrate to anywhere in the world with children. I know you have personal experience of this with your son Wendy. It must be so hard for you.
It can be really hard at times, but he's got every intention of coming over when he's finished Uni so that makes it easier to bear.

Originally Posted by SeaninOzalready
Yes mate- agreed, but it is about the same as the UK national average of 22000 Quid. I agree on either of these two wages you are not going to do very much. You would have to earn at least 35-37k in sterling in either place to be doing anything really (saving etc).

The average salary in the UK (according to ONS) is approx. 22K. A Gross salary of £21,900, less tax of £3400 and NIC of £1837, gives a monthly net of £1388
My Oh was on £24k in the UK and we really struggled to pay the bills with that (that was with my earnings of £800 per month on top). He earns just under $60k here for the same job and we have more spare cash and I don't work. When I do return to work we will be a lot better off as all my wage will be put away.

I honestly don't see how you compare? For a start, income tax deductions are alot more here, then not only do you have to pay a medicare levy at the end of the year, you have to pay when you visit the doc's too. Prescriptions have gone through the roof in the last 10 years, you pay FID, tax on used cars and the list goes on. You just cannot compare like for like.

My OH does charge less per hour here than his counterparts back home, but he works much longer hours and never takes a holiday. He is a workaholic, unfortunately, but he says he has to do the hours he puts in to bring home enough. I disagree, but that's another story. He also pays his super from what he earns and so do I. We also have Ambulance cover and a small private health insurance for our needs which we wouldn't need back home. To even try to compare to my mind is just pointless.
I agree, you can't compare really. Things you pay in the UK you don't pay here and vice versa. All that's important is that you can pay your bills, save a little and enjoy your life as best you can.

Originally Posted by pam0512
Hi SGG,
Are you or your husband self employed over here or do you work for employers?? If your OH works for someone and he is in a trade he might be significantly better off being self employed and he can then claim tax relief on a large proportion of his outgoings eg. fuel, car duty etc. etc.
We too find living here expensive and costly, and haven't been hit by the medicare levy yet cos we haven't been here a year yet!!! Heaven help us when that gets here!!
You only pay the extra medicare levy when you earn over $50k as a single person or $100k as a couple. If you have hospital cover you are exempt from paying the extra 1% levy.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:52 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pam0512
Hi SGG,
Don't worry about the Medicare levy, it goes on what you earn and just gets taken off any tax rebate you will get at the end of the tax year. My OH worked for himself for 5 years here. It's tough starting out here because you have no contacts and haven't built up a reputation, all that takes time. When he finally had reached that point, he was head hunted, then was made an offer he couldn't refuse. He is happier and loves what he does.

Originally Posted by robclaridge
It's nice to hear you and your family are happy Rob. Long may it last.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:00 pm
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
The UK has a much stronger economy than Aus, most people on these boards seem to suggest Aus education is behind the UK, and thousands of young Australians all head for the UK citing career opportunies as a big pull.

I still don't understand this. http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/images/s...on_scratch.gif
I too do not understand the 'high cost of living' and the belief that Australia will offer them more than the UK. Why, because the BBC tells you so? Because it has sun, sea and beaches? As you say, you don't want to grow old not having attempted to give your children the best possible chances in life. If you think they are here, then I wish you lots of luck.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Jan 11th 2008 at 11:02 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:10 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I am often puzzled about the notion it is the best place in the world to raise your kids. If it is, how come Australia being such an enormous country geographically, only has a population of 20 million? Of course a large expanse is desert, but plenty of other countries have expanded developing it. Also why once a large percentage of Australian young people leave education do they bugger off out of the country to enhance their careers and make a decent living? Doesnt that tell you something?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:21 pm
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I am often puzzled about the notion it is the best place in the world to raise your kids. If it is, how come Australia being such an enormous country geographically, only has a population of 20 million? Of course a large expanse is desert, but plenty of other countries have expanded developing it. Also why once a large percentage of Australian young people leave education do they bugger off out of the country to enhance their careers and make a decent living? Doesnt that tell you something?
I get confused about that as well Flea. I really think it's all down to the media and the way Australia is depicted as being every mans utopia.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

My Oh was on £24k in the UK and we really struggled to pay the bills with that (that was with my earnings of £800 per month on top). He earns just under $60k here for the same job and we have more spare cash and I don't work. When I do return to work we will be a lot better off as all my wage will be put away.

Hi Wendy,

I find that quite interesting. I suppose it depends on where you live though. I wouldn't think that you could get by on that (a couple anway) in Sydney or Melbourne, but again I don't know your circumstances.

My OH and I took about a 40% paycut to come out here and both of us still manage to come out well into the 6 figures each- but then we knew that we could not expect City wages out here (even in Sydney).

I am going to do a quick straw poll around the office this morning to see what colleagues think one can live on here in Oz. I suppose it is all relative though- as mentioned, I know some people here who are getting by on 30k Aussie. They don't save anything and have to house share, buy only own brand groceries and will never make enough to do any overseas travelling, but they get by.

Where do you live in Aus? Would love to hear more about this as I think it is so true that you live according to your means. If you earn 300k then you will live that lifestyle with the porsche etc. If you make 30k, you will drive the holden or ride the bus or walk..
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy,

I find that quite interesting. I suppose it depends on where you live though. I wouldn't think that you could get by on that (a couple anway) in Sydney or Melbourne, but again I don't know your circumstances.

My OH and I took about a 40% paycut to come out here and both of us still manage to come out well into the 6 figures each- but then we knew that we could not expect City wages out here (even in Sydney).

I am going to do a quick straw poll around the office this morning to see what colleagues think one can live on here in Oz. I suppose it is all relative though- as mentioned, I know some people here who are getting by on 30k Aussie. They don't save anything and have to house share, buy only own brand groceries and will never make enough to do any overseas travelling, but they get by.

Where do you live in Aus? Would love to hear more about this as I think it is so true that you live according to your means. If you earn 300k then you will live that lifestyle with the porsche etc. If you make 30k, you will drive the holden or ride the bus or walk..
I think the main difference is the level of debt we have. In the UK we had some and here we don't - big difference! Luckily we made quite a lot on our UK property and was able to pay it all off before we came.

I also don't think I could live on my OH's wage in Sydney or Melbourne (although maybe we could get more there?), and it was one of the main deciding factors of our moving to South Australia. We have a lovely house here, nice big block with pool and it only cost us $237k, doubt we would have found anything like that in Melbourne and definitely not in Sydney.

Very true about how much you spend too, although I will admit to having to pay for groceries on credit cards in the UK a few times as there just wasn't enough left after paying the bills to buy food! But then the first time you do that and can't afford to clear the debt then it's downhill from there and it's very hard to pull yourself back up again. Never want to be in that place again

(we are a family of 4, plus one son in the UK at uni)
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
I think the main difference is the level of debt we have. In the UK we had some and here we don't - big difference! Luckily we made quite a lot on our UK property and was able to pay it all off before we came.

I also don't think I could live on my OH's wage in Sydney or Melbourne (although maybe we could get more there?), and it was one of the main deciding factors of our moving to South Australia. We have a lovely house here, nice big block with pool and it only cost us $237k, doubt we would have found anything like that in Melbourne and definitely not in Sydney.

Very true about how much you spend too, although I will admit to having to pay for groceries on credit cards in the UK a few times as there just wasn't enough left after paying the bills to buy food! But then the first time you do that and can't afford to clear the debt then it's downhill from there and it's very hard to pull yourself back up again. Never want to be in that place again

(we are a family of 4, plus one son in the UK at uni)
I agree completely on the debt side of things. Although the average Ozzie now has 14000 in credit card debt. Th old revloving credit- use one card to pay the next off.

I was thinking you might be in SA or Tassie. We also have a great place to live here with a pool etc and don't go without. For us though moving out here we still wanted to be able to go on overseas holidays and skiing in NZ etc. I also like the fact that we can still get to see international bands and have good clubs as well as beaches etc. OH also loves the boutique style shops and did not want to sacrifice her standards on clothes etc. Only thing she still misses alot is M&S.

Amazing that 4 of you can get by on that wage or do your kids also work over here?

I am not looking forward to the school fees though if we choose to have kids. Great schools near us, but they start at 25k a year before you even get going..

Good luck in yee olde city of churches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.