Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by phil01
Ditto 2.

My daughter can't wait to get back, to be in a more structured environment, less sport more learning and I have no concerns about her education or about living in the UK. Just can't wait to get back!
No doubt the less sport will also translate into greater weight- very interesting article below about big mac in Britain.

McDonalds getting fat on Britain

US fast-food giant McDonald's is selling more burgers in Britain than at any time in the 34 years since it opened its first outlet there.

The Times, quoting company figures, said today there were more than 88 million visits to the "golden arches" in Britain in December 2007 alone, up nearly 10 million on the previous 12 months and the equivalent of about 320,000 more each day.

The findings follow a study by pollsters Synovate in conjunction with the BBC, published on January 2, which suggested Britons were now the world's biggest fans of fast food.

McDonald's UK chief executive Steve Easterbrook was quoted as saying that the fast-food business had stalled in the wake of recent British government initiatives to target a growing obesity epidemic with healthy eating schemes.

But he said in an interview: "This is one of our strongest years for 20 years, and we feel pretty confident about the momentum we have built up."

McDonald's has changed its menu in recent years, cutting salt, sugar and trans-fats in its products and offering healthier alternatives such as porridge, fruit smoothies and chicken wraps.

But The Times said about 90 per cent of sales in Britain were still for traditional fast-food fare like burgers, french fries and ice cream while more than two million children's "Happy Meals" were sold each week in November 2007
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

'No doubt the less sport will also translate into greater weight'

It never ceases to amaze me how posters can make such crass assumptions about other people's lives and values.

Give people some credit. We all know the obesity rise worldwide (Australia included..have you looked outside) but let's put the McDonalds business claims into the bigger picture interesting as they are. Having done some fairly recent research around obesity it isn't just about McDonalds!!
I am sure that Phil the previous poster is not planning his 3 square meals a day at McDonalds and perhaps his daughters do a bucket of sports and activities outwith their school day. From how I read it it was more around the school focus on sport here as opposed to basic academic learning.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:14 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lorids
'No doubt the less sport will also translate into greater weight'

It never ceases to amaze me how posters can make such crass assumptions about other people's lives and values.

Give people some credit. We all know the obesity rise worldwide (Australia included..have you looked outside) but let's put the McDonalds business claims into the bigger picture interesting as they are. Having done some fairly recent research around obesity it isn't just about McDonalds!!
I am sure that Phil the previous poster is not planning his 3 square meals a day at McDonalds and perhaps his daughters do a bucket of sports and activities outwith their school day. From how I read it it was more around the school focus on sport here as opposed to basic academic learning.
I wasn't going to validate S'inOz's copy and paste from The Age with a reply, because that has to be one of the most ridiculous and assuming statements I have read in a long time. I wonder if he/she can get their head around how many more people live in the UK than Australia? This same poster made some very broad assumptions about me and as yet, although I have asked, I've had no reply as to how he/she came to those assumptions. I think to ignore is the best way, because it sounds to me as though the person is trying to justify why they are here.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Jan 9th 2008 at 6:27 am.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

Well i wish both lorids and St Georges girl all the best. We obviously don't see (and never will - eye to eye) as far as education is concerned. But I really hope everything turns out for the best for you and your respective familys. For what its worth I ping ponged here. Because initially my wife could not settle. But we are here to stay, this is currently our home. But never say never. We might end up somewhere in Europe 10 years from now lol.

We all see other countries through rose tinted spectacles, ater all, thats why most of us emigrate. - even our own 'mother country' after we have left her behind. Who knows... You may both ping pong somewhere else after a few years!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:39 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robclaridge
Well i wish both lorids and St Georges girl all the best. We obviously don't see (and never will - eye to eye) as far as education is concerned. But I really hope everything turns out for the best for you and your respective familys. For what its worth I ping ponged here. Because initially my wife could not settle. But we are here to stay, this is currently our home. But never say never. We might end up somewhere in Europe 10 years from now lol.

We all see other countries through rose tinted spectacles, ater all, thats why most of us emigrate. - even our own 'mother country' after we have left her behind. Who knows... You may both ping pong somewhere else after a few years!
I have been here in Oz nigh on 11 years, my son will be starting his last year at uni in Feb'. When he graduates, we will be going home hopefully. I no longer need to worry about education, I just want to spend some quality time with my extended family and see some more of the world. I've had enough of Australia and now I'm ready for something else.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SeaninOzalready
No doubt the less sport will also translate into greater weight- very interesting article below about big mac in Britain.

McDonalds getting fat on Britain

US fast-food giant McDonald's is selling more burgers in Britain than at any time in the 34 years since it opened its first outlet there.

The Times, quoting company figures, said today there were more than 88 million visits to the "golden arches" in Britain in December 2007 alone, up nearly 10 million on the previous 12 months and the equivalent of about 320,000 more each day.

The findings follow a study by pollsters Synovate in conjunction with the BBC, published on January 2, which suggested Britons were now the world's biggest fans of fast food.

McDonald's UK chief executive Steve Easterbrook was quoted as saying that the fast-food business had stalled in the wake of recent British government initiatives to target a growing obesity epidemic with healthy eating schemes.

But he said in an interview: "This is one of our strongest years for 20 years, and we feel pretty confident about the momentum we have built up."

McDonald's has changed its menu in recent years, cutting salt, sugar and trans-fats in its products and offering healthier alternatives such as porridge, fruit smoothies and chicken wraps.

But The Times said about 90 per cent of sales in Britain were still for traditional fast-food fare like burgers, french fries and ice cream while more than two million children's "Happy Meals" were sold each week in November 2007
Actually my daughter is a fit 10 year old that does not like McDonalds...nor does she eat crisp, chips or choccy! But oddly enough at 40 I am still a trim 11 stone and pretty fit, 16 years in the British Army has stood me in good stead!

As the other posters have said I was refering to sport in school, which at present my daughter does PE every day as well as swimming every day, the two combined takes a lot of time out of the day.

She also goes on her bike, flies her kite, plays basketball, goes to the beach and walks the dog...in her own time, her fitness is most definitely not an issue and I don't see that it will ever be...she enjoys exercise...just as she did in the UK.

My reference to sport was the excessive amount she does in school and my preference for the UK school system is there is more focus on academic work...there needs to be balance in everything and in NZ there is a heavy focus on sport but I personally feel that lack the focus on academic studies which is also important.

It doesn't matter what country you live in if you have the fast food, TV junkie attitude you will get fat! Simple as that but there are people in the UK that don't have that attitude, I didn't have it when I lived there before and I don't have it now. Strangely enough living in Oz or NZ does not automatically make you slim...it's your mentality and attitude that make you the person you are.

For me the UK is a better place to raise my daughter, the education system, health care, dental care ($10,000.00 in NZ for a child to have braces), opportunities, culture, history and future work experiences.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by robclaridge

Thanks for the best wishes and I don't necessarily agree we don't see eye to eye as I would never sum up Oz V UK education..can't be done at such a simplistic level. I am very glad that for you feel Oz is better for you and your family...and that is exactly what it should be...what is best for you and your family with your own individual story, values, beliefs and experiences. It would be a bit awkward if it was simple as we would all want to live in the same country!

Regards
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

Originally Posted by ellie10990
I worry more about raising my kids here in OZ

My son is at secondary school here and says its far too easy and the teachers and other kids dont care whether they do well or not.My son wants to change schools because of this even though he has made many friends.In the uk he had a good education bright friends and they all cared about doing well.The schools were better disciplined too

here they have to be driven to school instead of walking like they did in the uk which reduces their exercise levels and added to that my son does not even do sport at all as part of his curriculum for 9 months of the year.

In the uk they played out in our cul de sac every night,here no kids play out at all and there are no pavements for them to walk on so cant even send them out to play alone

Hi What part of Stockport are you from. I am Hazel Grove but now live on the sunny Isle of Man.

I have never seen such bad menus offered in school either choices of pasties,sausage rolls and hot dogs!!also sweets on sale too.In the uk they were given fruit at break and only allowed healthy food in the canteen

Yesturday we were out walking and someone committed suicide!!

Additionally the death rate for teenagers in Road traffic accidents and

suicides is higher here than the uk

Hi What part of Stockport are you from. I am Hazel Grove but now live on the sunny Isle of Man.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

Originally Posted by NikiL
Medical care is an issue that is highly debatable in the UK. It depends on where you live as to what medication you receive. There is a case going through at the moment where a woman with cancer has offered to pay for her own life extending medication as the health care provider has refused to pay for a drug as its is too expensive, and she has been told that if she pays the £4k a month cost, she must pay the full £15k per month for her treatment. NICE has decided that the drug which would extend her life is too expensive. There are many, many examples of people who, if they lived in Scotland or Wales, would receive certain drugs, however if you live in England you will not. I knew a woman who had MS and was given a drug when she lived in Germany which helped control her MS, but it was decided that in the UK it was too expensive. Within 6 months of moving back to the UK she had a major relapse, and ended up spending 8 months in hospital, and needed a major refit of her home when she left and 14 hour nursing care (which would have cost a lot more than the £18k pa costs of the drug keeping her out of hospital). 3 years later she was dead.

My best friends mother contracted MRSA in her kidney in hospital 4 years ago during hospital treatment. The hospital will not treat her MRSA until it causes her problems, i.e. until she falls extremely ill. They will not give a reason for this.

Lucky with healthcare is a relative viewpoint.
If any one is moving away from uk because of healthcare concerns I suggest they consider moving to the Isle of Man. We have a brand new state of the art hospital, whatever is needed as far as drugs are available. I have been to A & E on a number of occasions and waited no more than 30 mins. Another time I was admitted with pneumonia and was treated straight away and was on a ward within 30 mins. in a private room. This combined with great education,low tax rates (on a 40,000 pound salary i pay 2,000 in tax) 1% unemployment and low crime. After looking on this thread for a while I have no idea why I am considering moving back to Perth.......I must be mad.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
It isn't that's true and it is know different to the UK re-drugs. In fact, Australia are way behind a number of westernised countries in allowing the use of certain drugs. I was on a very strong drug for almost 5 months for a virus I'd contracted that attacked the muscles. The drug was known to cause side effects such as huge weight gain, dizziness, nausea and loss of memory and it was taking it's toll on me, when I read about another drug that had very little in the way of side effects. I asked my doctor about them and he did some homework. Finally he rang me and said that they were available on prescription in the UK & France if I wanted to go home for awhile, but they weren't on the Medicare list here because they were too expensive. Infact, most pharmacy drugs here are alot dearer than back home.
Hi St Georges girl.....please read my other quote on isle of man hospitals....by the way our prescription charges are only 3 pound per item.....how much are they in australia,
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Teresa
Hi Tracey

Have sent you a pm....................we are back and absolutely no regrets here in UK, after living in Perth for 3 years.

Education....significantly better here in UK in my opinion...........we go out all time, whatever the weather, have a different opinion now I have been away, opens your eyes and makes you realise it wasn't all that bad afterall.....

Poo and needles exist worldwide unfortunately, those that think they don't need to educate themselves but luckily enough haven't encountered any here so far.....................

I have younger children but have many friends with teenagers and they have had no problems with above, again depends on where you live but knowing you, you will choose somewhere that has your standards, like mine...........and my god I'm never dropping them again lol................................feels fab to be in the land of the living again!!!!!!!!

great post teresa. well said
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

....and loads of high-end management jobs?

[quote=isleofmanmike;5766691]If any one is moving away from uk because of healthcare concerns I suggest they consider moving to the Isle of Man. We have a brand new state of the art hospital, whatever is needed as far as drugs are available. This combined with great education,low tax rates (on a 40,000 pound salary i pay 2,000 in tax) 1% unemployment and low crime.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=ezzie;5766735]....and loads of high-end management jobs?

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
If any one is moving away from uk because of healthcare concerns I suggest they consider moving to the Isle of Man. We have a brand new state of the art hospital, whatever is needed as far as drugs are available. This combined with great education,low tax rates (on a 40,000 pound salary i pay 2,000 in tax) 1% unemployment and low crime.
i am actually self employed, been here 7 years from stockport greater manchester.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:08 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
Hi St Georges girl.....please read my other quote on isle of man hospitals....by the way our prescription charges are only 3 pound per item.....how much are they in australia,

3 pound per item - I almost fell off my chair - you lucky B****r

I pay $27.95 for my prescription per item. That is the medicare subsidised charge. When I first arrived and saw my GP for a check up the brand of medication I was taking wasn't available in Oz and I was offered a different brand. Unfortunately I had sufffered serious side effects from that brand in the UK and been taken off it. Luckily I had a supply of medication from the UK to last me a couple of months.

Someone up there was looking after me because when I ran out and went to get a prescription from my GP my usual medication brand had become available in Oz although not susidised (it was in the process of being put on the subsidised list) and would have cost me $45. By pure fluke the pharmacy did not have any in stock and told me to go back in a couple of days. When I did the medication had been put on the subsidised list and I paid the lower rate.

I pay $27.95 every 2 months now against 6 pounds every 3 months in the UK. You also pay for kid's precriptions here - $27.95 per item.

I also paid double what I did inthe UK for kid's over the counter medicine like Clarytyn and Liquid Nurofen.

I also have to have an MRI scan in March which I have to pay for - think I get some back and I also have to pay to have a mole removed - again think I get half back from medicare. I have found the medical treatment here to be excellent but then in the year before I left the UK I had no problems there either. In fact the NHS moved mountains for me to be admitted for an operation I needed before we left for Oz but unfortunately the timing didn't quite tally. But I'm happy to have the op here instead.

I agree with SGG 100% in saying that Australia is behind the UK as far as available medication goes.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by ezzie
Hello everyone...it's been brilliant reading everyone's messages & realising that life back in the UK isn't as bad as we read about. I never made the 'decision' to move to Oz...I went on a backpacking holiday about 23 years ago. Married (Pom) who then got the big C, everyone kept telling us that the treatment would be much better here in Oz (& I think it probably was to be honest). So here we are, kids nearly 15 & 13 and I spend most days in tears wanting to be back in the UK. Wish I'd done it a couple of years ago...much easier to move the kids and hubby is nearly 48 and with a world economic 'downturn' on the way, it's all a bit of a worry. I have to agree with the unfortunately departed 'Scooby' that even though we have some lovely friends here, it's been hard work and I miss the banter and 'real' friendships. The supperficiality drives me mad. We went to the fireworks on the Harbour with friends - who then sat by themselves and wouldn't budge to chat with us!!!!! (Too much effort to shift the esky!) My nightmare is that my kids go off to uni, settle here and I'm left to retire here in Sydney with no interests - I don't like the beach or heat and prefer history, country walks and bellringing! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our kids had a day at a reasonable school in the UK in June and found the academic level around 1 to 2 years below what they get here (they are at very good schools here). Can anyone suggest an area of Britain that's not too inaffordable for housing, isn't crime ridden and close to major cities for jobs...yes, I know, if there was a perfect recipe for this, everyone would be there - but I'd be grateful for suggestions. Already someone mentioned St Albans. We're originally from a nice part, near Birmingham but would prefer to be a bit further out from Brum. Have loved everyone's comments and wish you were all our neighbours...wouldn't have to move then!
hi izzie

i spent 15 years in perth been back in uk 19 years. had some regrets but reading the posts on this thread makes me realize that it was the best thing to come back....i am to english to live in aussie.....if you want some suggestions of places to move to see my recent post on the isle of man. if you want any more info or help please let me know....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.