Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:11 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by Major Edmund Lockyer
AMEN.

oh and the roads, the M6 toll road is now £4.50 one way for a car.

Like the other poster I dont want to bash the UK too much, but im after an easy relaxing life, with at least some kick back, whether it be sun or sea.

It was meant to be expensive to discourage people from using it! Therefore creating a virtually traffic free alternative for those willing to pay for it.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:24 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
It was meant to be expensive to discourage people from using it! Therefore creating a virtually traffic free alternative for those willing to pay for it.
I used it all the time to travel to visit the in laws. I would pay 10 quid to avoid the birmingham section of the M6.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:04 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I used it all the time to travel to visit the in laws. I would pay 10 quid to avoid the birmingham section of the M6.
I happily paid the toll - love the easy drive it gives you!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Major Edmund Lockyer
AMEN.

oh and the roads, the M6 toll road is now £4.50 one way for a car.

Like the other poster I dont want to bash the UK too much, but im after an easy relaxing life, with at least some kick back, whether it be sun or sea.
Saves you about a tenner in fuel though!!, no sitting in traffic jams with the engine idling
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Rob...what's an 'OP'?
So do I take it that our experience fits with yours that Aussie ed is actually pretty damn good?

Originally Posted by robclaridge
Straight from the horses mouth.... I'm a teacher as previously mentioned. I will reitereate that I'm not going to 'bash' the UK. Because we had a great time there, yes we were burgled, yes we had cars stolen and usual shit at sometime. But on the whole I had 44 good years there. Although I spent 7 of those travelling the world granted. BUT. My eldest daughter now 17 has to go to school to get her OP so that she can go to Queensland Uni. Having already finished school and sat her GCSE's in the UK. As a proud father she came away with 5 A* 3 A's 1 B and 1 C (Maths was always a weak subject lol). From being top in all groups at school in the UK with relative ease (except maths) Shes now languishing in the middle groups and having to work REALLY hard in private school here in Queensland Australia. Yes its a change of curriculum. But its the depth they go into thats tougher.... especially the maths. PS. Your nuts to believe if there is going to be pension funds in the UK when those in there 40's now retire! Thank you MR Brown. PSS. The NHS is not free in the UK. My dentist was private, my 'specs' were private and where did all my NI contributons go.... Wa that not a form of helath insurance?????? PS when emigrating I had to pay for private xrays and medicals....
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Rob...what's an 'OP'?
So do I take it that our experience fits with yours that Aussie ed is actually pretty damn good?
OP is the score students come away with at the end of year 12, I suppose it's a bit like O/A levels, but rather than individual scores, it's a combined score, with OP1 being the highest. These scores determine which university course you can apply for, for instance, Communications might require an OP13 min. entry, but Medicine would probably be about an OP3.

I believe it means Overall Position but I may be wrong!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

So it's the same as the NSW UAI I guess....and they can't work this out from her UK marks?

Originally Posted by rabsody
OP is the score students come away with at the end of year 12, I suppose it's a bit like O/A levels, but rather than individual scores, it's a combined score, with OP1 being the highest. These scores determine which university course you can apply for, for instance, Communications might require an OP13 min. entry, but Medicine would probably be about an OP3.

I believe it means Overall Position but I may be wrong!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold

As others have said it really depends where exactly you live in the UK.My 3 children have never had any problems here in Hertfordshire-good schools,low crime,clean streets - even the teenage kids on friday nights are rowdy but well behaved.Underage drinking does take place but there seem few serious problems.However,just 3 miles away is another town which is completely different-even peoples behavior.Its not terrible but crime and teen pregnancies etc are far higher.So really it depends what sort of place you choose to live.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:48 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerohero
As others have said it really depends where exactly you live in the UK.My 3 children have never had any problems here in Hertfordshire-good schools,low crime,clean streets - even the teenage kids on friday nights are rowdy but well behaved.Underage drinking does take place but there seem few serious problems.However,just 3 miles away is another town which is completely different-even peoples behavior.Its not terrible but crime and teen pregnancies etc are far higher.So really it depends what sort of place you choose to live.
Hello there, I'm from Hertfordshire. Where abouts are you?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:54 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

3 miles? If I was a teenager then I'd run a shuttle bus to where the real action is ... there's some money to be made there ...
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:09 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hertfordshire is just lovely. We visited friends in Ware, great village. I would love to live there, but the pennies won't allow
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Hello there, I'm from Hertfordshire. Where abouts are you?
Hitchin
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:27 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Hertfordshire is just lovely. We visited friends in Ware, great village. I would love to live there, but the pennies won't allow
I know Ware well, Used to go to disco there at the Saracens Head. It is nice.

Hitchin
I'm from Potters Bar and Radlett, nr. St.Albans. We have friends in Aston, I think that's nr. Hitchin.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:29 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I thought Hertfordshire was very posh couldn't believe the house prices back then, never mind now
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:21 am
Banned

Major Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant future

ah, thats a democratic way of doing things, outprice people so they cant afford to move anywhere,

so what you saying lets outprice everyone and the other option is to sit in their house all day or walk to the pub and back....

chaos and overpopulation

Originally Posted by alicecat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.