Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:44 am
Banned

Major Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

The policeman would be a policeman, too much beauracracy, social breakdown and lack of general respecc that has been getting worse year on year , over the last 20 years, its all paperwork and KPI,s. traditional policing, giving a crim a right good kicking for his mister meaners has been lost, the cops are powerless, and the average chav and shithead knows it.

NHS, i find it ok, BTW, but as a senior grade nurse,, hospitals are overmanaged, ie more managers than actual medical staff, and oversaturated with health tourists, lack of funding and poor pay, in essence no british people are moving into nursing and no nurse want to work here, to gain experience, nurses cant recognise death or discomfort anymore as they are not experienced enough due to lack of experience around them

so we import from philipines and india.

nothings perfect, but in my trade, i know of no apprentices in the last 15 years of any great scale, the whole direction of this country is very uncomfortable, as we are overcome with consumer demand and greed, beleive me, you will notice how mad this country is on your return.

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
That's better.BTW, this is the 'Moving Back To The UK' forum.

Please do tell the opinions of your 3 friends. I have close family who work in the NHS, one admin and 3 nursing. My sister works in Scotland Yard, my nephew is doing his police training, so I would be very interested in what your 3 friends have to say.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:56 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by geisterbahn
we lived in germany for 20 years and in spain for 3 and never came back once.we are back 4 years in the uk now due to problems with bullying in the school she was at ( I cant wait to go back to spain for good and never touch uk soil again. within 2 weeks my van had been stolen from the drive way, driven a mile, then torched by yobs who Im told phoned the firebobbys and sat around drinking cider and clapping while they put it out. the police had it towed away at a cost to me of 120 quid and nothing was done about it.Ive been out about twice ,both times I was threatened with murder! yes murder! for nothing .so that was that. read the news . the lastweek their has been about 4 teenagers murdered in the uk. kids now buy stab proof vests and shirts to wear at SCHOOL!!!!! THE UK IS A NIGHTMARE BEYOND BELIEF. OF SPY CAMS. POLICE STATE. SECRET POLICE. POTENTIAL ID CARDS LACK OF REAL JOBS. HI COSTS AND A DEBT RIDDEN PHILISTINE CULTURE WHICH IS SAD BEYOND BELIEF.
I am really sorry if you have been through this kind of hell. Many years ago I lived in Campbelltown it is a suburb of Sydney , your post could have been me
20 years ago. We didn't stay there long and to my knowledge this area as got worse. We moved, not everywhere in the Sydney area is like this. I suppose what I am trying to say not everywhere in the UK is like that either.

Re the murders it is terrible but having read the Australian newspapers over the New Year period it appears to have been pretty bad on the murder front too. I have only been here 2 months (UK) and remember well my tirade of abuse about Australia and low Aussies etc. we moved and saw a different side.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Major Edmund Lockyer
..........the whole direction of this country is very uncomfortable, as we are overcome with consumer demand and greed, beleive me, you will notice how mad this country is on your return.
And what makes you think it is different elsewhere?

I live in the US and here it is much, much worse...
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:43 pm
Banned

Major Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant future

do you think, alot of americans cant believe what us brits have to pay for here, and what kickbacks we get.

I dont see the influx of yanks and aussie to britain do you, even tho a few have visited,....wonder why that is.

Originally Posted by Elvira
And what makes you think it is different elsewhere?

I live in the US and here it is much, much worse...
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

do you think, alot of americans cant believe what us brits have to pay for here, and what kickbacks we get.

I dont see the influx of yanks and aussie to britain do you, even tho a few have visited,....wonder why that is.
You evidently have no idea of what Americans have to pay for...

Healthcare is only the beginning.

Does 'right to work' mean anything to you at all?

NB: Last time I checked, London was full of Americans and Aussies who live and work there.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:10 pm
Banned

I have no idea, true.

But when i was in Texas this year working with all the septic tanks comparing notes, couldnt say they were impressed with my outgoings.

and what we had to pay for.......and what we got,

You evidently have no idea of what Americans have to pay for...

Healthcare is only the beginning.

Does 'right to work' mean anything to you at all?

NB: Last time I checked, London was full of Americans and Aussies who live and work there.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:13 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
What we knew then is the same now - our day to day life was better in Australia, and our occasional life was better in the UK.
A very powerful and insightful observation. Utterly brilliant.

I think this is true for many people, which maybe helps explain the ping pong-ing. Daily life is much more laid back outside of the UK, but the pull back to friends, family & exciting activities remains.

To the op, I doubt any one country will tick all your boxes of which country is best for you. I suspect it's about finding out which aspects of life are most important to your family now (which may very well be different from 5 years ago and 5 years into the future) and making a decision based on those needs and desires.

I live in the UK. And can honestly say I have never seen evidence about the concerns you mentioned. But I am very aware it comes down to location. My children are 7 (nearly 8 - where does time go?) and 6 and play outside ALL the time, without adult supervision.

Reflecting on comments made about the weather in the UK restricting outdoor family activity, I personally feel this ceases to be the case once children are of school age. It can be a deterrent when dealing with babies & toddlers. My girls were out riding bikes in t-shirts yesterday at close to zero () and don't seem to notice drizzle at all. It honestly doesn't stop us doing anything, except camping year round. There is usually shelter somewhere if the weather threatens to ruin the planned fun!

Good luck.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:20 pm
Homebody

I have no idea, true.

But when i was in Texas this year working with all the septic tanks comparing notes, couldnt say they were impressed with my outgoings.

and what we had to pay for.......and what we got,
free health care (never having to worry about insurance, co-pays, deductibles, pre-existing conditions, non-covered bits etc - can you even begin to imagine what this means?)
minimum 4 weeks holidays a year (+ time off for Christmas and public holidays)
paid maternity + paternity leave
child benefit
sick pay
subsidised public transport
subsidised theatres/orchestras etc
free museums and art galleries

just off the top of my head - I'm sure there's more...

Just remembered a biggy: no employment protection........ you clearly do not now what 'right ot work' means...

Last edited by Elvira; Jan 6th 2008 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:27 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie

I really am panicking about schools - our kids are at fabulous schools here and were horrified when they spent a day at a UK school and found the work to be hideously below the level they're used to.
Wow, it's usually the other way round with kids finding they are about 2 years behind, so that could be a good sign. Also, I suspect the teachers would have been careful not to give them work that was too hard, so you may want to consider asking whether this was the case which might remove your concerns. There is a huge variation in ability with things like Maths, English & Science especially, so they will have several streams of ability which would translate to at least a 2 year spread. I'm sure the academic side would be fine. Their ages and friendships in Aus are more likely to be a potential issue.

And depending on your husband's line of work, his age may work against him too. Whilst things have changed enormously in this area, I can still recall my father struggling to find a job as an (Qualified) Accountant when we moved back to the UK when he was 34! Thus he is putting pressure on hubbie (now 36) to make some big changes over the next couple of years before it's too late! I mean honestly.

Good luck.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:41 pm
Banned

that is a load of shit what you have written as it exists in uk, and there isnt any difference.

free health care (never having to worry about insurance, co-pays, deductibles, pre-existing conditions, non-covered bits etc - can you even begin to imagine what this means?)
minimum 4 weeks holidays a year (+ time off for Christmas and public holidays)my wife is contract, no holidays, no sick, no benefits.
paid maternity + paternity leaveno benefits as in above
child benefita bonus
sick payno sick pay for my wife, and limited days for me
subsidised public transportwhere
subsidised theatres/orchestras etcif thats your bag, but where
free museums and art galleriessome are free not all, chatsworth house is £16 a go,

just off the top of my head - I'm sure there's more...

Just remembered a biggy: no employment protection........ you clearly do not now what 'right ot work' means...
please be careful what you write.

also heatlhcare NHS - where does the National Insurance payments go???????????? that come out of wage
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:45 pm
Homebody

that is a load of shit what you have written as it exists in uk, and there isnt any difference.

please be careful what you write.

also heatlhcare NHS - where does the National Insurance payments go???????????? that come out of wage
NI pays for the pension you will both get when you retire.

I have no idea why your wife does not get benefits - this doesn't seem right. British law mandates 28 days vacation as a minimum for all workers.

Anyway, there are NO BENEFITS AT ALL in the US, and health care is becoming a HUGE burden for most people.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:55 pm
Banned

when you contract you sign away all these rights as its in your rate. which isnt that high.

not everyone has a silver spoon in this country , there is a working class

as for the pension, MR BROWN has screwed that up for generations to come, cant wait to see my pennies at 65, or will it be 165 by then.

I have no idea why your wife does not get benefits - this doesn't seem right. British law mandates 28 days vacation as a minimum for all workers.

Anyway, there are NO BENEFITS AT ALL in the US, and health care is becoming a HUGE burden for most people.

Last edited by Major Edmund Lockyer; Jan 6th 2008 at 7:57 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

NI contributions also go towards the NHS and other benefits

Last edited by lolly; Jan 6th 2008 at 8:21 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

Straight from the horses mouth.... I'm a teacher as previously mentioned. I will reitereate that I'm not going to 'bash' the UK. Because we had a great time there, yes we were burgled, yes we had cars stolen and usual shit at sometime. But on the whole I had 44 good years there. Although I spent 7 of those travelling the world granted. BUT. My eldest daughter now 17 has to go to school to get her OP so that she can go to Queensland Uni. Having already finished school and sat her GCSE's in the UK. As a proud father she came away with 5 A* 3 A's 1 B and 1 C (Maths was always a weak subject lol). From being top in all groups at school in the UK with relative ease (except maths) Shes now languishing in the middle groups and having to work REALLY hard in private school here in Queensland Australia. Yes its a change of curriculum. But its the depth they go into thats tougher.... especially the maths. PS. Your nuts to believe if there is going to be pension funds in the UK when those in there 40's now retire! Thank you MR Brown. PSS. The NHS is not free in the UK. My dentist was private, my 'specs' were private and where did all my NI contributons go.... Wa that not a form of helath insurance?????? PS when emigrating I had to pay for private xrays and medicals....
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:29 pm
Banned

AMEN.

oh and the roads, the M6 toll road is now £4.50 one way for a car.

Like the other poster I dont want to bash the UK too much, but im after an easy relaxing life, with at least some kick back, whether it be sun or sea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.