Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by LouiseD
One of the things that I found really creepy and weird about Australia was that I never saw children playing out. I'm so used to hearing them playing out having fun on their own in the UK.
I live across the road from a play park - always loads of kids running around beside my place. Although I feel like washing some of their mouths out with soapy water some days, shame their parents cant hear them!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:57 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of these things are relative to your own personal experiences and also where you live in either country.
I was born and raised in London. I have lived in Sydney for 3yrs. I was recently back in UK for 3mths staying with my daughter in rural Essex.

Car parking.. I have just been for a swim at Cook and Philip aquatic centre here in Sydney. Cost me $7 to park the car. At the local leisure centre in Essex all free. We went to Lakeside shopping mall several times. Again free parking. In the village free parking!! Go into the city in either London or Sydney you need a mortgage to park the car and the over zealous traffic wardens are the same world over.

Retail service I find BETTER in UK. I had far more friendly conversations with staff than i ever do here probably because there is more of a mixed age group in UK working in retail. Here it seems to be predominently under 25s who really dont have the social skills. I also noticed in UK that many stores selling larger goods offer FREE delivery. I am yet to ever see this in Australia.
(no doubt someone will say they have)

For me, UK has far more choice range and diversity and I also feel that when you take into consideration the earnings to spending ratio, UK often works out a better deal in many things!
Online shopping in UK is eons ahead of Australia too. Most major stores offer a good online service. This meand you actually can SEE their products and prices on your computer unlike Aus where most business websites are p*ss poor quite frankly! It was a pleasure and a luxury to go to clothes shops and when they didnt have my size or right colour i was told to go home and buy it online from their central stock.

Just my opinions and of course others have different experiences.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:01 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeaninOzalready
Fair enough, although i go back every three months (sometimes 2) for work and holiday and last time I saw no change. My mates over there still complain about lack of service. They all maintain that it is just 'Rip off Britain' through and through. Most people carry on paying for things even though the service does not get better they don't know how much cheaper the rest of the world has some things (not all mind- some).

Public transport for instance only goes up and up yet you see no improvement in the service. Mind you Sydney is also a shambles hence why I run into work and back. This would only be feasible in the Uk for about 4 days a year.

Just a question ST georges girl- after all your negative thoughts of Perth, do you think it is just the isolation and heat of WA that gets you. Would you have been happier in Sydney or melbourne? Just a thought..
Where have you seen me post negatives about Perth and where have I said I think negatively about Perth?

As for your mates saying "Rip off Britain", that was being said years ago, way before we left it's shores. It's human nature to complain, especially about bad service, but I can assure you that I've had extremely bad service here and imo, the warranty law is an absolute disgrace. We can all complain about things 'til the cows come home, no matter where in the world we live. Nowhere is perfect.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Jan 2nd 2008 at 6:07 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely right on the 'chat in shops'. I hate the Sydney daily drivel of 'how are you' and 'have a nice day' when they really couldn't give a stuff. I loved walking into the newsagents back in the UK and get a bit of conversation and cheerful 'personalised' comments...not too happy about all the pictures of naked bossoms on show in the mags though. That's something I really appreciate not having here in Oz. We watched some Saturday morning kids/teens TV in the UK and were pretty shocked at the language and erm....adult content. I think that's what I worry about returning to the UK most concerning the kids, that kids seem to be kids for longer here.

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I think a lot of these things are relative to your own personal experiences and also where you live in either country.
I was born and raised in London. I have lived in Sydney for 3yrs. I was recently back in UK for 3mths staying with my daughter in rural Essex.

Car parking.. I have just been for a swim at Cook and Philip aquatic centre here in Sydney. Cost me $7 to park the car. At the local leisure centre in Essex all free. We went to Lakeside shopping mall several times. Again free parking. In the village free parking!! Go into the city in either London or Sydney you need a mortgage to park the car and the over zealous traffic wardens are the same world over.

Retail service I find BETTER in UK. I had far more friendly conversations with staff than i ever do here probably because there is more of a mixed age group in UK working in retail. Here it seems to be predominently under 25s who really dont have the social skills. I also noticed in UK that many stores selling larger goods offer FREE delivery. I am yet to ever see this in Australia.
(no doubt someone will say they have)

For me, UK has far more choice range and diversity and I also feel that when you take into consideration the earnings to spending ratio, UK often works out a better deal in many things!
Online shopping in UK is eons ahead of Australia too. Most major stores offer a good online service. This meand you actually can SEE their products and prices on your computer unlike Aus where most business websites are p*ss poor quite frankly! It was a pleasure and a luxury to go to clothes shops and when they didnt have my size or right colour i was told to go home and buy it online from their central stock.

Just my opinions and of course others have different experiences.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Absolutely right on the 'chat in shops'. I hate the Sydney daily drivel of 'how are you' and 'have a nice day' when they really couldn't give a stuff. I loved walking into the newsagents back in the UK and get a bit of conversation and cheerful 'personalised' comments...not too happy about all the pictures of naked bossoms on show in the mags though. That's something I really appreciate not having here in Oz. We watched some Saturday morning kids/teens TV in the UK and were pretty shocked at the language and erm....adult content. I think that's what I worry about returning to the UK most concerning the kids, that kids seem to be kids for longer here.
I agree with what you say about the kids being kids longer.

However with regard the boobs on display ... what about the numerous ads here - on morning radio, tv, everywhere it seems - about erectile dysfunction ("wanna be a tiger in bed?","can't get it up?" etc). Morning radio can be pretty close to the knuckle, every second word is swearing (particularly on phone ins). Drive a bit out from the city, there plenty of billboards of scantily clad ladies suggestively posing advertising everything from pies to utes.

Also - the slew of strip clubs ... I can't get over that there are two in Brisbane City (Queen Street) mall. Not exactly the best of impressions for visitors to the city (neon sign: 'Hooters' - I kid you not). I don't have a prob with strip clubs, but not in the mall, it downgrades the city IMO.

Swings and roundabouts on that front I reckon.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:09 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
'A VERY HAPPY, HEALTHY, DECISIVE, FRIGGING NEW YEAR'.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2125/meeeepx3.gif

Ha ha ha ha
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:13 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

My mates over there still complain about lack of service. They all maintain that it is just 'Rip off Britain' through and through. Most people carry on paying for things even though the service does not get better they don't know how much cheaper the rest of the world has some things (not all mind- some).
I've met loads of people here who complain about anything and everything - I'm sure they think that other countries don't pay taxes. But they haven't lived anywhere else, only visited on holiday.

The reality of it is that you get taxed everywhere - as said above it's swings and roundabouts - different country, different systems - they all like taking our hard earned cash one way or another.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:20 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Rip off Britain give me a break wiil ya!!
Since living in OZ, i now realise how Britain is NOT such a rip off afterall. Tax is higher in OZ too, so no comparison there.
As for public transport....omg, the lack of it in Perth is dire. Thankgod i have a car, that's all i can say.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:23 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I reckon my OH, at this point, will just go along with anything for a quiet life! He's as sick to death of the rowing as I am.

It's just for the first time in our marriage, we want completely different things and it's so hard to even talk calmly about it.
I know exactly how you are feeling - it was the only time in our whole relationship where we were in disagreement about something so fundamentally important - as I've said before in the end I was so desperate to be home I gave my OH an ultimatum (which I'm not proud of) - me or Australia - I was lucky he chose meBUT the rows did continue and coming home was not easy and put a huge strain on the relationship - but you and your OH sound strong and I'm sure you will ride the strorm like we did.

I know it sounds like a cliche but although it was the most difficult time our realtionsnhip has ever had it has definitely made our marriage stronger and now we are just dandy!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

I know, awful aren't they...my kids all yell 'eeugggh!" and change the radio channel!

Originally Posted by rabsody
I agree with what you say about the kids being kids longer.

However with regard the boobs on display ... what about the numerous ads here - on morning radio, tv, everywhere it seems - about erectile dysfunction ("wanna be a tiger in bed?","can't get it up?" etc). Morning radio can be pretty close to the knuckle, every second word is swearing (particularly on phone ins). Drive a bit out from the city, there plenty of billboards of scantily clad ladies suggestively posing advertising everything from pies to utes.

Also - the slew of strip clubs ... I can't get over that there are two in Brisbane City (Queen Street) mall. Not exactly the best of impressions for visitors to the city (neon sign: 'Hooters' - I kid you not). I don't have a prob with strip clubs, but not in the mall, it downgrades the city IMO.

Swings and roundabouts on that front I reckon.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I know, awful aren't they...my kids all yell 'eeugggh!" and change the radio channel!
we do too!

I went back in May myself and I fully appreciate what you say about things that irk you about both places (and the stuff you like in both places too) and the continual weighing up of the pros and cons. I wrote this when I first got back: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452748.

I usually get back to Aus dead set on making it work, and within a few weeks I'm back to square one again in terms of which place is the right one!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Such a brilliant post rabsody...my findings also...although I found clothes more expensive in the UK...probably because I'm a K-mart girl here!

My kids are 14 & 12 and (nearly 15 & 13) and really wish we'd gone back two years ago...so many ties once they're at high school.

My big reason for returning is that I just can't see that Oz has anything for me or hubby once the kids have left home, whereas in the UK I'd join a rambling club and would probably be a National Trust volunteer, help organise local fetes etc as I love doing that sort of thing.

The problem we have is that (a) we're all about to suffer an econonomic downturn and (b) hubby is nearly 48...we've heard it's much harder to get jobs when you're approaching 50 in the UK.

I really am panicking about schools - our kids are at fabulous schools here and were horrified when they spent a day at a UK school and found the work to be hideously below the level they're used to. I've got an awful lot of work to do sorting out if we can get pensions, National Health etc as we both left before really working. Hubby left after his Masters and I left after just 4 years work in nursing.

It feels like I'm in a bit of a nightmare at the moment to be honest. I swing wildly in my loyalties. When I'm here, I want to be there and whilst I'm there, I want to be there but miss so much of what Oz has to offer and really fret about the impact my decisions will have on the kids.

Originally Posted by rabsody
we do too!

I went back in May myself and I fully appreciate what you say about things that irk you about both places (and the stuff you like in both places too) and the continual weighing up of the pros and cons. I wrote this when I first got back: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452748.

I usually get back to Aus dead set on making it work, and within a few weeks I'm back to square one again in terms of which place is the right one!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Where have you seen me post negatives about Perth and where have I said I think negatively about Perth?

As for your mates saying "Rip off Britain", that was being said years ago, way before we left it's shores. It's human nature to complain, especially about bad service, but I can assure you that I've had extremely bad service here and imo, the warranty law is an absolute disgrace. We can all complain about things 'til the cows come home, no matter where in the world we live. Nowhere is perfect.
Would you have been happier elsewhere in Oz? Surely you looked into the lack of public transport etc before moving there? One would assume this would have been part of any normal reccie...
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Such a brilliant post rabsody...my findings also...although I found clothes more expensive in the UK...probably because I'm a K-mart girl here!

My kids are 14 & 12 and (nearly 15 & 13) and really wish we'd gone back two years ago...so many ties once they're at high school.

My big reason for returning is that I just can't see that Oz has anything for me or hubby once the kids have left home, whereas in the UK I'd join a rambling club and would probably be a National Trust volunteer, help organise local fetes etc as I love doing that sort of thing.

The problem we have is that (a) we're all about to suffer an econonomic downturn and (b) hubby is nearly 48...we've heard it's much harder to get jobs when you're approaching 50 in the UK.

I really am panicking about schools - our kids are at fabulous schools here and were horrified when they spent a day at a UK school and found the work to be hideously below the level they're used to. I've got an awful lot of work to do sorting out if we can get pensions, National Health etc as we both left before really working. Hubby left after his Masters and I left after just 4 years work in nursing.

It feels like I'm in a bit of a nightmare at the moment to be honest. I swing wildly in my loyalties. When I'm here, I want to be there and whilst I'm there, I want to be there but miss so much of what Oz has to offer and really fret about the impact my decisions will have on the kids.
Hi

I not sure where you are looking to move back to in the UK, but the south of England is still pretty good for work. Being over 50 is not a problem today in the UK. The job market is much more flexible and I have noticed that in the company I work for are many new staff are 50+(i.e Engineers/technical staff).

I am finding it hard to recruit due to the fact in the area I live in Oxfordshire unemployment is 0.9%. I returned to the UK at 39 from Canada and had a £50K+ job within 3 weeks.

My sons did not have any problem with UK schooling, but where young then 11 & 12 years old. At 15 my eldest son will do his GSCE's, but most are 16 when they do the first set exams. How different is UK schooling to Australia?

A'Levels are more important, so you children will have enough time to get qualifications for college or uni entrance.

Whats you husbands master degree in? Have you checked out www.jobsite.co.uk to see what work is available

BBC report 27th Dec 2007

Employment and immigration

The Halifax said house price growth in Scotland and south-east England reflected a "robust employment market and record levels of net international migration".

Its report noted that employment in Scotland had risen by 125,000 during the last five years, while in 2006 immigration increased the population by 22,000.

Strong economic conditions, highlighted by high employment levels, have boosted housing demand and driven up prices

Martin Ellis
Halifax Estate Agents

It added that property had been "relatively affordable in Scotland" which provided "a springboard for further significant house price growth".

Meanwhile, in south-east England, unemployment remained low - with 27 areas having unemployment rates below 1%.

Martin Ellis, chief economist for Halifax Estate Agents, said: "Strong economic conditions, highlighted by high employment levels, have boosted housing demand and driven up prices.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed- even though Sydney is expensive, I also find service here better than the UK. Even at a dingy bar they still give you a bowl for your crisps and even the hardest pubs in Sydney are still ten times better than some of the hardest ones in the UK. At least the ones here ackonwledge that there will be trouble and hence have proper security along with body searches.

Delivery here is also much better- we had stuff delivered the next day (Sunday) from IKEA at the same price as the week. In UK we would have had to wait 3 years till the next waning of a blue moon for that service. Agreed on the parking too- I hate being ripped off or fined to park for a few minutes.
In the main the above is ill-informed drivel. For almost everything the UK offers more choice, better service, quality and prices than Oz. UK's rail system is a joke (except Eurostar), but then again Oz's plane fares are a rip-off. As for car-parking, both Sydney and London are expensive. But at least in the UK they don't fine you for parking your car the 'wrong' way round.

Oz's on-line services are few and far between. Try and get Ikea delivered 100km from Sydney.

Either your mates don't get out much or fell into Dr Who's Tardis and were whisked back to the early 1980s. Which would still place them 10 years ahead of Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.