Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:22 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by ezzie
Finland also spends the 2nd highest amount on public education. It's gov't is committed to education as a means of supplying intelligent citizens capable of ensuring Finland can be financially successful. Pity it's so bloody cold there!!!!!
I'm not being funny here Ezzie, but how many Finnish have you heard of? They aren't exactly famous in the academic field are they?

Originally Posted by robclaridge
This is all getting rather tiresome. This bulletin board is for ex pats or people wishing to emigrate to another country
This particular forum is for people who are moving back to the UK though, so perhaps your experience would be better heard in the main Australia forum.

Originally Posted by robclaridge
Good post ezzie... I rest my case!
Oh for goodness sakes, there is no case to rest. As you have said yourself, it's peoples own personal experiences.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Anyway this thread just droans on and on

My kids loved their UK school and i am not worried in the slightest about their education there.....so there.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz

My kids loved their UK school and i am not worried in the slightest about their education there.....so there.
Ditto..my kids are desperate to get back to their old school, friends, sports and life They have enjoyed aspects here but so loved Scotland/UK and all it has to offer.I have absolutely no worries whatsoever about raising them in the UK and in fact am so looking forward to it. They are in fact sitting beside me here doing some 'catch up' maths and english before we head back and are enjoying it...sad but true...each to their own!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:50 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by lorids
Ditto..my kids are desperate to get back to their old school, friends, sports and life They have enjoyed aspects here but so loved Scotland/UK and all it has to offer.I have absolutely no worries whatsoever about raising them in the UK and in fact am so looking forward to it. They are in fact sitting beside me here doing some 'catch up' maths and english before we head back and are enjoying it...sad but true...each to their own!
I see you are in Perth!!! whereabouts?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

I see you are in Perth!!! whereabouts?
Wembley. Are you in Perth?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:54 am
Account Closed

Wembley. Are you in Perth?
Yes, unfortunately.

I'm NOR, where's Wembley, never heard of it.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Yes, unfortunately.

I've PM'd you.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:00 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, unfortunately.

Wembley is nice. Very green.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Wembley is nice. Very green.
Sounds like a nice place. Sometimes think if i had got my area right, i might like it more here.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a nice place. Sometimes think if i had got my area right, i might like it more here.
Your not having second thoughts are you? I said to my husband the same thing last year...he said "different area" same dislikes etc of the place...we have tried a few areas around the south of the river in our 10 years here and it is true really.......we even looked at a few areas north of the river 2 years ago but it is as my hubbie said. We will miss things here in Perth I would be lying if we said we would not but when my nephew text me today to say he has just had a fab holiday in Edinburgh with his wife for New Year and are now planning an Easter Break.....we think now to have that choice......
Jackie
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:30 am
'In limboland'

I don't know R, there are still the other things to consider. You'd still miss family, feeling as though you belong etc.etc.. While you are still here, why don't you drive out and about on a w/e just to see other areas, but they only suburbs after all. I like Wembley, Floreat, Swanbourne etc., but living in those suburbs wouldn't have made me any happier.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I don't know R, there are still the other things to consider. You'd still miss family, feeling as though you belong etc.etc.. While you are still here, why don't you drive out and about on a w/e just to see other areas, but they only suburbs after all. I like Wembley, Floreat, Swanbourne etc., but living in those suburbs wouldn't have made me any happier.
I would agree Wembley is a very typical suburb which compared to where we were in UK has a distinct lack of community feel. I definitely know that it would not matter which suburb we were in. I in the past for long term holidays/breaks have rented in Mosman Park, East Fremantle, Claremont and in the actual city. We also have extended stays down near Mgt River as my MIL and FIL have a farm there and the issues for me are still the same. If your reasons for wanting to return are fairly fundamental lifestyle/culture/family/friends etc then I really don't think it would make a difference moving within Perth. Even interstate for us wouldn't make a difference. I lived for 9 months near Melbourne years ago and still looking back now there would be the same issues!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Ditto 2.

My daughter can't wait to get back, to be in a more structured environment, less sport more learning and I have no concerns about her education or about living in the UK. Just can't wait to get back!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I've reached the same conclusion.

We moved to Floreat to see if it felt different. It does. It's much better, and our immediate living environment is probably the best we'll ever find anywhere. But...

...the bigger issues remain for us. We live our lives in an area of around six square km. Very nice, but it all feels a bit meaningless. It's like living on an island. Great for a while, but very limiting.

I would agree Wembley is a very typical suburb which compared to where we were in UK has a distinct lack of community feel. I definitely know that it would not matter which suburb we were in. I in the past for long term holidays/breaks have rented in Mosman Park, East Fremantle, Claremont and in the actual city. We also have extended stays down near Mgt River as my MIL and FIL have a farm there and the issues for me are still the same. If your reasons for wanting to return are fairly fundamental lifestyle/culture/family/friends etc then I really don't think it would make a difference moving within Perth. Even interstate for us wouldn't make a difference. I lived for 9 months near Melbourne years ago and still looking back now there would be the same issues!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:39 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Exile
I've reached the same conclusion.

We moved to Floreat to see if it felt different. It does. It's much better, and our immediate living environment is probably the best we'll ever find anywhere. But...

...the bigger issues remain for us. We live our lives in an area of around six square km. Very nice, but it all feels a bit meaningless. It's like living on an island. Great for a while, but very limiting.
One of the things I loathe about Perth is just that, living your daily lives in afew square klms. The schools and the smaller malls are built in between the newer suburbs now. Nobody seems to travel out of their area because of this, except maybe for work. There are fast food places everywhere and nothing with any real character. I hate all these sections we call suburbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.