Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:19 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Oh yeah...you and me both Mrs!! The decision to go home is more scary than the one to come here I reckon.

How are you Flea? I hope things get sorted out for you soon and you and hubby can go back to Blighty together.

I am great thanks Tracey. Sometimes in life you have to admit defeat, go back and start again from the beginning and thats basically what we are doing. We are hoping to get back there permanently with the next 6-9mths. I just could not secure a permanent job, got a couple of casual offers but that is not good enough for hubbies immigration. Daft thing is, i have only been back here a couple of weeks and have 2 interviews lined up already, one from a company originally based... wait for it... London!! pmsl oh the irony!! And if it works out here and i get the job i will also be allowed to tranfer to their London office on my return so i am keeping everything crossed for this one.

I am sure everythign willl work out fine for you tracey just make sure you pick the right place to live when you get back. Best of luck
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:32 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I thought it was funny!!! Also your bit about more chavs being in Lakeside...totally agee. Me and OH go chav spotting when we go to Woolies! Kinda takes the boredom off shopping a bit!
Oh you too

I meet an Ozzie mate up there for coffee and we do chav spotting. She shouts out shirt alert whenever a footie shirt appears. We also have a competition to see how many tattoos we can spot on people and then how many 'f' words we can hear.

Life in Perth is such fun
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Grayling
How come I've never experienced all these terrible things in the UK?

Perhaps I read the wrong newspaper and have lived in the wrong areas.

G
I have to agree here.....we lived in a town in South Wales and whilst there was crime that you heard about around the area rarely did it affect us....the most criminal thing that happened to us was our 'for sale' sign being burnt by teenagers!!! There were no incidences of drugs in their primary school, no knives etc.....Having said that, we have hard about crime but we have not had any experiences of crime in Perth WA either......either we're lucky or walking around with our eyes closed!!
Our kids play outside and in the parks here, as they did in the UK.....no problems in either place...I work in a community based role here, as I did in the UK, and IMO there are similarities between the UK and WA in terms of areas that you would be comfortable living in and those areas that you may not. Crime is an inherant part of society wherever you live.....I do believe however that the UK makes more of an issue of it than WA, whether that's right or wrong only time will tell.....
My daughter sat her SAT exams before we left the UK, which she didn't stress about too much I have to say....In WA she has completed 1 main 'test' and weekly tests.....don't see much difference there.....
All in all I think life is what you make it wherever you are and you will see good and bad wherever you choose to live...
Pam x x
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:15 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

As heard on the 9 am news today, you will all be pleased to know that when you come back to the Uk the goverment has proposed a 10 year plan to get UK schooling the best in the world. They will start by policeing classrooms to help with the yobs

Although no plans to battle the hundreds of Chavs........but then again they seem to be all in Perth !
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Josie68 is a jewel in the roughJosie68 is a jewel in the roughJosie68 is a jewel in the roughJosie68 is a jewel in the roughJosie68 is a jewel in the rough

Can't say we ever experienced crime in the UK...luck or just in a reasonable place...don't know. But crime happens everywhere and kids will get into trouble given the chance and steered away from it. Hopefully we have chosen a reasonable area to avoid too much trouble.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:28 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
And if it works out here and i get the job i will also be allowed to tranfer to their London office on my return so i am keeping everything crossed for this one.
I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you Flea xxx

Originally Posted by crystal23
Oh you too

I meet an Ozzie mate up there for coffee and we do chav spotting. She shouts out shirt alert whenever a footie shirt appears. We also have a competition to see how many tattoos we can spot on people and then how many 'f' words we can hear.

Life in Perth is such fun
Love it!!!

Originally Posted by Issie
As heard on the 9 am news today, you will all be pleased to know that when you come back to the Uk the goverment has proposed a 10 year plan to get UK schooling the best in the world. They will start by policeing classrooms to help with the yobs

Although no plans to battle the hundreds of Chavs........but then again they seem to be all in Perth !
Is that true then? Coppers in classrooms? Hey, it might even make me want to teach over there!!!!

As for the chav bit......they're not quite all here yet. Vicky Pollard has only just put in her visa application!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:32 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you Flea xxx

Love it!!!

Is that true then? Coppers in classrooms? Hey, it might even make me want to teach over there!!!!

As for the chav bit......they're not quite all here yet. Vicky Pollard has only just put in her visa application!

Well i have a couple of tattoos and i have been known to say **** now and again so prehaps i could be a chav myself
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:41 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i have a couple of tattoos and i have been known to say **** now and again so prehaps i could be a chav myself
Yeah but..no but..you can string together a sentence in a grammatically correct fashion like wot I can so you can't be a chav see?
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:44 am

Yeah but..no but..you can string together a sentence in a grammatically correct fashion like wot I can so you can't be a chav see?

what does that long word spell out that begins with G ?
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Tattoos and swearing, how common! Check your karma!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by northernbird
Tattoos and swearing, how common! Check your karma!
Are you sure you stil want to drive me to little creatures for lunch then C
Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
Hey Quoll

You forgot to mention the bomb that kid took into High School a couple of weeks ago.
Didnt hear about that one - just remembering all the incidents that I had to deal with re knives. Thank heavens I retired before the bombs started!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:18 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

This is our major stumbling block about going home. We hear so many terrible stories about crime, muggings, chavs,binge drinking fashion, drugs (I know that's here but it seems more prolific in the UK) inflicted upon kids in the UK.

People coming out here reckon their kids are not safe back in the UK, that they're liable to be pricked by infected needles, smothered in dog poo or tread on broken glass if they so much as go to the local play park. They also reckon their kids don't play outside because of the danger from weirdo's, or it's too cold or dark, or it's raining every day.

We left the UK years ago when our kids were so little, before they had a chance to experience any form of social life as such back there. I have little knowledge of the UK education system, however, recent arrivals reckon the kids in primary schools in the UK are stressed out and worried about exams and tests all of the time.

Can somebody back there, who has perhaps lived both lives (in Uk and Aus) give me their viewpoint about this?
Tracey - How do you know crime, muggings etc are more prolific in the UK? What can I say that I haven't said before - it's all just a load of media garabage!

I must admit one of the main reasons we moved to Perth in the first place was because we felt our kids would have a better life out there - we were worried about drugs, anti social beahviour, the stressed out education system etc. all not being perfect enough in the UK for our little darlings!

Once out in Oz I realised what a crock of sh*t it all was - life for them was no better in Oz - and in fact I felt they missed out big time not having family around and I was not impressed with the education system at all! I also realised their lives in the UK had been pretty damn good but I had just let the media rule my head and was totally taken in by all the crap constantly in the papers and on the telly (GMTV in particular!)

Like everyone says you've got to pick your areas in the UK but isn't the same true in Perth! I know there are some places I would not have stepped foot in in Perth!

We have been home for 16 months now and my kids are happier than ever - they are both loving and thriving in school, they play outside most days - if it's cold they wrap up - we spend days on the beach, at the park, in the New Forest - to say kids don't play outside 'cos of the dangers from weirdos is just bloody ridiculous (not having a go at you but whoever has told you this!). And when it is cold we can cosy up in the evening with the central heating on full blast and watch some decent telly!

But more than all that the kids have cousins, grandparents and uncles that love them very much and can be part of their lives as they grow up.

I know you've been deliberating for a while now and at then end of the day only you and you OH can make the decision but please don't let all this 'nonsense' about the UK put you off - 'cos that's what it is - complete nonsense!

Anyway best of luck with the decision making - it'll all come good you'll see!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by pommybird
Tracey - How do you know crime, muggings etc are more prolific in the UK? What can I say that I haven't said before - it's all just a load of media garabage!

I must admit one of the main reasons we moved to Perth in the first place was because we felt our kids would have a better life out there - we were worried about drugs, anti social beahviour, the stressed out education system etc. all not being perfect enough in the UK for our little darlings!

Once out in Oz I realised what a crock of sh*t it all was - life for them was no better in Oz - and in fact I felt they missed out big time not having family around and I was not impressed with the education system at all! I also realised their lives in the UK had been pretty damn good but I had just let the media rule my head and was totally taken in by all the crap constantly in the papers and on the telly (GMTV in particular!)

Like everyone says you've got to pick your areas in the UK but isn't the same true in Perth! I know there are some places I would not have stepped foot in in Perth!

We have been home for 16 months now and my kids are happier than ever - they are both loving and thriving in school, they play outside most days - if it's cold they wrap up - we spend days on the beach, at the park, in the New Forest - to say kids don't play outside 'cos of the dangers from weirdos is just bloody ridiculous (not having a go at you but whoever has told you this!). And when it is cold we can cosy up in the evening with the central heating on full blast and watch some decent telly!

But more than all that the kids have cousins, grandparents and uncles that love them very much and can be part of their lives as they grow up.

I know you've been deliberating for a while now and at then end of the day only you and you OH can make the decision but please don't let all this 'nonsense' about the UK put you off - 'cos that's what it is - complete nonsense!

Anyway best of luck with the decision making - it'll all come good you'll see!
Great post. I agree completely.
I want to go back for the sake of my kids. Education as far as i'm concerned in Perth is bull. Drugs are ripe, plenty of weirdo's here, so not escaped anything really.
And ...my kids want to go back.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:56 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things that I found really creepy and weird about Australia was that I never saw children playing out. I'm so used to hearing them playing out having fun on their own in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.