Yes
57.35%
No
42.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

....do you trust the UK police?

Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ....do you trust the UK police?

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
So do you trust UK police or not because I'm starting to wonder what you are going on about
No, then again I don't live in the UK. As a general comment regarding police - no I do not trust the police.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I used to be a big supporter of the police until they broke into my house by mistake. I would have accepted the mistake, except realising they were in the wrong house, they then turned mine upside down trying to find something to justify being there.

Another time when I was reporting a burglary - I had two police women sitting in my house discussing the fact that one of them had got to keep a camera recovered and not claimed. She was whinging that she didn't get something better. Meanwhile over their radios, I was listening to officers breaking down the door of a flat where a young girl had committed suicide. They were so busy with who got to keep what, neither of them muted the radios, and the whole statement was full of inaccuracies as they really didn't give two hoots.
based on the above post, have you changed your position on being a "supporter" or is that different than 'trust'?

Sparkles 'Do you trust the UK police' or any police?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
No, then again I don't live in the UK. As a general comment regarding police - no I do not trust the police.

based on the above post, have you changed your position on being a "supporter" or is that different than 'trust'?

Sparkles 'Do you trust the UK police' or any police?
I guess I still support the police, but I don't trust them anymore. If I see a crime, I'll report it. If I can help someone safely I will - but if I'm the victim I may not report it as I don't want them in my home unless necessary. Before I left the UK, after what happened, I had thieves break into my shed that I didn't report, but when I caught a lad trying on another occasion I did as I could give a description that could lead to his arrest, and stop anyone else suffering. But having officers in my home at that time just reinforced previous experience for a number of reasons.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fuchs01
To add, the police are also human, like all organisations, they mirror, the
Society at those peroids in life.
I am happy that like the medical proffesion, we can find people with some nous,
who want to help his fellow man, and still wants to the job, with the political, and
Administrative shackles put on them.
From me thank you and well done to all, in all your efforts.....even the ones that pick me up for speeding, its me thats breaking the law.
Is it always you that's breaking the law? I've had five police encounters for speeding in my life. All in the United States:

1. I was going 75mph in a 65mph zone. I was passing someone, on most roads this is legal - but on the highway I was on, it was not due to an obscure fact the road had a different set of laws. Settled for a "court cost" payment and traffic school in exchange for the charges being dropped (no record).

2. I hit black ice and went off the road. I was driving very reasonably and the road conditions suddenly changed. Ticketed for "too fast for road conditions" - proved unable to fight. This is the only one on my record.

3. Ticketed for going 45mph in a 45mph zone. Ticket claimed it was a 35mph zone. Took photos of the signage, took them to court pre-trial hearing, and the judge agreed with me. Paid a $10 "processing fee" for the charges to be dropped immediately and avoid a trial. A bit of a joke, but still.

4. Pulled over for 80mph in a 75mph zone. Just north of an 80mph zone, and I was in the rightmost lane going slower than most traffic. Officer told me he had no real interest in my speed, but that he could ticket me if I didn't consent to a search. Spent an hour searching my car for drugs, tearing my bags apart, and let me on my way. Total jerk.

5. Pulled over for going 63mph in a 55mph zone that had been a 65mph zone just weeks before. Officer was very friendly, informed me the speed limit had changed, gave me a warning and sent me on my way.

Who's the one breaking the law here? In 4 it's pretty clear the "speeding" was nothing but an outrageous abuse of police power to conduct an unlawful search. 3 was a bad joke, plain and simple harassment. 1 was deliberate abuse of poorly worded laws - the section of road had it's own code section, so it was a loophole in the police's favour - and they knew about it. 2 was equally iffy - the officer witnessed nothing and the weather was warmer and the road dry when the officer arrived.

5 was the only one of these encounters I'd even dare use the term "law enforcement professional."

So, if you really believe the speeder is always the one breaking the law in the UK (which I highly, highly doubt) - that'd be a huge improvement over the US. But again, I highly doubt it - in fact, I've been reading more about how badly parking fines are abused in the UK (as they are here).

Police generally exist to harass people, raise money for their own existence, and get to legally be a grown-up version of the "schoolyard bully"

And to the person who asked and I think I never answered - I don't distrust ALL police officers, but you can't tell to look at them which ones are good and which are bad. Therefore, it's safer to assume a police officer is an armed, dangerous, bully until proven otherwise from a safe distance.

Some are great people who really do protect and serve. To them - thank you from the bottom of my heart, and please don't be offended when I'm scared to death of you and hesitant around you until you prove yourself to me. Your colleagues have given me good reason to react this way. My own speeding experiences are the least of what I have witnessed, and irrelevant in the grand scheme.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if I'd blame the police, the CPS or the system for this one. Or all three. Stories like this, and there have been a few, really stick in the craw.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-burglars.html
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:08 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Police release me let me go, I'm not your prisoner anymore,
I'll be honest for evermore
To arrest me again would be a sin
So release me to let me jack a car yet again.

Gud ol engelbert, good Leicester lad.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 2:05 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Given the issues with the Police Federation and the continuing investigations into the Metropolitan Police for corruption and under cover officers sleeping with people under surveillance, has your trust in the UK police diminished or increased over the last year. As will be apparent from me starting this post a long time ago my opinion of the UK police was pretty low.....unfortunately it gets worse and worse....and that really worries me because I truly believe that the rule of law is under threat in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ederation.html

Last edited by nun; Jun 7th 2014 at 2:09 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:59 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 12th 2014, 12:52 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I'm surprised at how much and how quickly the UK Police have lost so much confidence.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 6:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Deleted
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I'm surprised at how much and how quickly the UK Police have lost so much confidence.
Keep plugging away, you will get someone to agree with you eventually
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond repute

My nephew was wrongfully arrested a couple of years ago, accused of knocking off a policemans hat and running off with it. It was actually a friend of his who happened to be wearing similar clothing and it was also dark, after the pub had shut. A meat wagon pulled alongside my nephew, he was handcuffed then bundled into the van, they then used pepper spray on him. He was charged and had to appear in court where the judge threw it out due to lack of evidence. A complete waste of time and taxpayers money not to mention the stress it caused the family. So no I don't trust the police.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daisytreadlight
My nephew was wrongfully arrested a couple of years ago, accused of knocking off a policemans hat and running off with it. It was actually a friend of his who happened to be wearing similar clothing and it was also dark, after the pub had shut. A meat wagon pulled alongside my nephew, he was handcuffed then bundled into the van, they then used pepper spray on him. He was charged and had to appear in court where the judge threw it out due to lack of evidence. A complete waste of time and taxpayers money not to mention the stress it caused the family. So no I don't trust the police.
This is outrageous! I never would have thought that could happen in the UK. In the USA, absolutely, but not over there. I know they can make mistakes, but pepper spray???
Old Jun 20th 2014, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daisytreadlight
This is outrageous! I never would have thought that could happen in the UK. In the USA, absolutely, but not over there. I know they can make mistakes, but pepper spray???

I used to trust the UK police wholeheartedly when I lived there many years ago but I think it will be different this time around.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Yes they used pepper spray, said he was being aggressive, he was handcuffed at the time in the back of a meat wagon!
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong

I used to trust the UK police wholeheartedly when I lived there many years ago but I think it will be different this time around.

Why would you never have thought it?

It wasn't so long ago that a Policeman pushed an innocent man over (in front of news cameras) for no reason whatsoever, and than man subsequently died a few moments later.

One thing you can be sure of in the UK ...... the Police will go to great lengths to pick on the easy targets such as the likes of you and me in the street, but when it comes to the real stuff that forms the basis of a good society ..... they don't seem to put the same effort in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.