Yes
57.35%
No
42.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

....do you trust the UK police?

Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ....do you trust the UK police?

A general opinion on police & policing

they can be a man/womans community best friend. Each copper is an individual. They could be the lad/gal from next door that you grew up with, or from a different part of the country with different ideas, ideals & set of values.

On the other side along the way things happen, they are human - as humans they have issues, family problems, pressure of work to perform, some are jerks just like in any other profession.

Starting out as police constables they likely want to be good coppers & to uphold the law within the law. They work with & mix of good & with some not so good colleagues, some likely change sight of what its all about - they know the difference, some think they are above the law & can do whatever they want as though they are cowboys, gunslingers or sheriffs in the old wild west.

They cover for each other until it all goes down bad - then back off to leave their mate hanging out in the cold.

The folks at MI5 are another bunch that have their own set of issues

Last edited by not2old; Aug 21st 2013 at 6:31 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I've posted a couple of threads with this theme in an attempt to gauge people's thoughts of the police. Each time I read about what I consider a "mis-step" by the UK police my opinion falls to new lows. A couple have been particularly worrying to me:

spying on the Lawrence family, bringing a malicious prosecution against one of Stephen Lawrence's friends and bugging client and lawyer conversations;

and the recent holding of Mr. Miranda at Heathrow.

The argument that "the innocent have nothing to fear", now seems to be "the supine have nothing to fear".
Isn't the question a bit too open ended? I understand where you are coming from and there are causes for concern, but from what I understand from your post you're not talking about the general policing on the beat or crime in general, but rather the police acting on directions from above for motives that are either political and/or illegal.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:22 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I've come under fire in the Canadian forum for criticizing the Canadian police, but my distrust of the police force here is one of the reasons I'll be very glad to shake the dust of Canada off my feet.

My fruitless attempts to report a drug dealer in the house next to me, in the first few months I was in Edmonton, gave me the strong suspicion that the police here are corrupt.

I'm appalled by the unnecessary shooting of suspects, unarmed or armed only with a knife.

The fact that victims of police shootings usually have brown skin makes me suspect institutional racism, as do some of the statements of senior police-officers in response to criticism -- statements that would not be acceptable in the UK.

That doesn't mean I'm happy about every aspect of British policing. Far from it. However, the David Miranda detention seems to be to do with security services and to have been initiated by the Prime Ministers office. Overall I think British police are far better trained than in Canada.

The difference is this: in Edmonton Alberta, if I saw a crime against property being committed, e.g. a burglary, and I did not think human life was at risk, I would not call the police in case they shot and killed the perpetrator. I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone's death. In the UK, if I saw a burglary being committed I'd ring 999.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:34 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

crime is everywhere. I live in Toronto & it can be quite a scary place to live even during daylight hours

Maybe in different parts of the civilized world (is there such a place) such as the UK, are crimes & homicides reported at a slower or at a faster rate by the media than say Toronto or Chicago. Chicago is one place to avoid.

Most everything is media driven, of course unless its on your doorstep

Last edited by not2old; Aug 22nd 2013 at 1:54 am. Reason: added some text
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:25 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's as clear cut as a yes/no answer.

What i can say is that my ex husband is a UK police officer and I find him to be very ethical in the performance of his duties and in other areas of his life, however, some of his colleagues I find to be jumped up and too empowered by their uniform.

However compared to US cops, I'd take a UK rozzer any day.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:48 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Although only a tiny number of votes I think it is a true reflection of the average of the the way the average person feels. Over 80% trust the UK Police. To the OP, it doesnt matter how many of these threads you start I think the conclusion will be the same, the UK Police arent perfect but they are more perfect than most other Police forces
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be a big supporter of the police until they broke into my house by mistake. I would have accepted the mistake, except realising they were in the wrong house, they then turned mine upside down trying to find something to justify being there.

Another time when I was reporting a burglary - I had two police women sitting in my house discussing the fact that one of them had got to keep a camera recovered and not claimed. She was whinging that she didn't get something better. Meanwhile over their radios, I was listening to officers breaking down the door of a flat where a young girl had committed suicide. They were so busy with who got to keep what, neither of them muted the radios, and the whole statement was full of inaccuracies as they really didn't give two hoots.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The Police Force is full of individuals, most good, some bad and some indifferent. I feel as though I have led a sheltered life not having experienced what others have. From my fairly limited experiences of 2 police forces I am in no doubt which one I prefer though.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

No. I do not trust Police full stop.

It would be only to easy for me to use the generalised thing, but for me, the question is clear, and the answer is clear.

I do not rate Police UK (yes I know that's the question) over/under others.

Police no longer focus on Protect and Serve, they are becoming more and more paramilitary in their role.
I cannot possibly condemn every individual in every force, but in general the answer is no.

The friendly bobby thing is long gone. Their job might be increasingly hard, but what they do is imposed on them by politicians and incompetent senior officers.

The end result is not to direct their frustration there, but to direct it at Joe Public. When they are able to comment on some forums anonymously, their anger to the public is quite blatant.

I was in contact with one wonderful officer over a legal matter, he was frank about the effect such officers are having, but indicated that any public criticism was career ending,....and could be even worse.

He abruptly stopped communicating with me. I was tipped off that he had been warned off.
He was the best officer I have ever come across.

I advice the people I have dealt with, never to physically turn their back on a police officer, and to at least try to have a witness present.

I cannot speak for the UK police, but know about both those cases, and their conduct over Hillsborough.

No, I don't trust them, because they are no longer to be trusted.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:28 am
Banned

Isnt it interesting how people have such polar opposite views on the same subject. I have no problems at all with the Police in this country, our local cops seem approachable and helpful not that we need them around here very much. It would of course be different in the cities. I would still very much rather have the UK Force than the Australian alternative given their very chequered past. As I said they arent perfect but definitely more perfect than most.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting item - study finds Black people are not just significantly more likely to be searched by police for drugs than their white peers, but face almost double the chance of being charged if any are found

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...rug-possession
Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:30 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Resurrecting an old thread as there have been new developments in "Plebgate". The Home Secretary, Theresa May, and many MPs are now dubious about the integrity of the UK police and it's ability to police itself.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ndrew-mitchell

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ogise-mitchell

Last edited by nun; Oct 24th 2013 at 11:32 am.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Resurrecting an old thread as there have been new developments in "Plebgate". The Home Secretary, Theresa May, and many MPs are now dubious about the integrity of the UK police and it's ability to police itself.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ndrew-mitchell

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ogise-mitchell
I thought of this thread the other day ... this has cropped up on quite a few discussion shows on the tv & radio recently.

One thing they have been quoting is a survey which suggests that the level of public trust in the UK remains pretty constant at around 60% ish... and has been at this level for some time.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:32 pm
Banned

Yeah I would think the saisfaction level would be similar in most Western countries. There is good and bad but mostly good.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I cant say I have any fears for my personal liberties, I have been hearing this for decades and I still see no difference.

I just see lots of paranoia, and complaints from those who want to push the envelope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.