Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Criminals to be stripped of their British citizenship and deported

Criminals to be stripped of their British citizenship and deported

Old Feb 28th 2016, 6:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminals to be stripped of their British citizenship and deported

Originally Posted by Bipat
This applies only to those criminals who hold dual nationality.
It would surely be impractical. Your original link is regarding a Pakistani origin gang. The newspaper as always describes them as "Asian sex abusers".
So you could possibly have a gang of criminals composed of both Indian and Pakistani origin individuals. The Pakistani origin could be deported, the Indian not (dual nationality not allowed for the latter). It won't happen!
If you read the article rather than just the headline you note that in this particular case the men involved are British-Pakistani so it is perfectly practical and already happening.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you read the article rather than just the headline you note that in this particular case the men involved are British-Pakistani so it is perfectly practical and already happening.
I did read the article, I know they are British -Pakistani in this particular case. You didn't read my post --I pointed out that this rule involves only those with dual nationality.
So Unlike those of Pakistani- origin other British "Asian" origin individuals do not have dual nationality so if they commit the same crimes or in the same gangs they cannot be deported which would be inconsistent.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Ascension island is practically empty. We could send them there. Or St Helena.
South Georgia would be better!
Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

We could accidentally put Strychnine in their chai ! I believe in the case of Mr Bonaparte it was arsenic.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:11 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I did read the article, I know they are British -Pakistani in this particular case. You didn't read my post --I pointed out that this rule involves only those with dual nationality.
So Unlike those of Pakistani- origin other British "Asian" origin individuals do not have dual nationality so if they commit the same crimes or in the same gangs they cannot be deported which would be inconsistent.
I think you'll find it also applies to people whom the Home Secretary believes can acquire dual nationality, which isn't the same thing.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
In most of which cases? Do you have details?
Two seconds on Google: Oxford, Rochdale, Rotherham, Derby and Telford.

You seem to be suggesting that you can be shipped off to foreign shores at the behest of Theresa May if you glance at her in the wrong way. That's just sensationalism.
No, that's the legislation. Read Sections 40 and 40A of the British Nationality Act.

I believe that if a dual UK-Pakistani (or Iranian, or Saudi or Canadian or French etc.) chooses to take up arms AGAINST the UK with their 'other' nationality, we should have the right to exclude them from the UK.
Which was how the legislation was sold to Parliament and the public. Except we're talking about sex offenders. Which categories of criminals are next? Will we bother even with a trial and exile or just strip them of their citizenship whilst they're out of the country and execute them by drone strike?

Except we're not talking about British Indians since none of those convicted in any of these 'Asian sex gangs' cases are from an Indian background so it's irrelevant. Even if the person concerned was from an Indian background the Home Secretary only needs to have "reasonable grounds for believing that the person is able, under the law of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom, to become a national of such a country or territory."

'To become' is not the same as 'already possesses' and with no right of appeal if you are stripped of your British citizenship on the mistaken basis that you hold or could reacquire Indian citizenship (as an OCI card holder for instance) then there's nothing you can do about it if you can't. You end up essentially stateless.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

[Snip]

No, that's the legislation. Read Sections 40 and 40A of the British Nationality Act.
[snip]
And note the highlighted Sections

40A Deprivation of citizenship: appeal

(1)A person who is given notice under section 40(5) of a decision to make an order in respect of him under section 40 may appeal against the decision to the First-tier Tribunal.

(2)Subsection (1) shall not apply to a decision if the Secretary of State certifies that it was taken wholly or partly in reliance on information which in his opinion should not be made public—

(a)in the interests of national security,

(b)in the interests of the relationship between the United Kingdom and another country, or

(c)otherwise in the public interest.

And yet some say 'don't commit a crime, then you won't lose your citizenship!'
Old Feb 29th 2016, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

And not one of those you linked to state that the assholes have been or are in the process of having their citizenship revoked.
In fact, several of those accused have fled the UK back to their Pakistani safe zone to escape conviction because they are such dedicated Britons.

Which was how the legislation was sold to Parliament and the public. Except we're talking about sex offenders. Which categories of criminals are next? Will we bother even with a trial and exile or just strip them of their citizenship whilst they're out of the country and execute them by drone strike?
Those killed by drone strikes were not in Brixton or Birmingham or Rochdale. They were in ISIS territory supporting terrorism. A drone strike was less than they deserved.

I guess you were also outraged when Jihadi John died in a drone strike.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:30 am

And not one of those you linked to state that the assholes have been or are in the process of having their citizenship revoked.
In fact, several of those accused have fled the UK back to their Pakistani safe zone to escape conviction because they are such dedicated Britons.
Except those in Rochdale who already have had their citizenship revoked and are currently in deportation proceedings and those in Rotherham who will soon be facing the same process.

Those killed by drone strikes were not in Brixton or Birmingham or Rochdale. They were in ISIS territory supporting terrorism. A drone strike was less than they deserved.

I guess you were also outraged when Jihadi John died in a drone strike.
None of those mentioned in the article were in 'ISIS territory' given that ISIS didn't have any territory when the article was published.

It would probably help your arguments if you actually read the sources being debated.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Except we're not talking about British Indians since none of those convicted in any of these 'Asian sex gangs' cases are from an Indian background so it's irrelevant. Even if the person concerned was from an Indian background the Home Secretary only needs to have "reasonable grounds for believing that the person is able, under the law of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom, to become a national of such a country or territory."

'To become' is not the same as 'already possesses' and with no right of appeal if you are stripped of your British citizenship on the mistaken basis that you hold or could reacquire Indian citizenship (as an OCI card holder for instance) then there's nothing you can do about it if you can't. You end up essentially stateless.
I cannnot remember which case but there has been an occasional British- Indian sex offender involved in similar offences.
A British passport holder can only become an Indian citizen after living there continuously for one year---do you honestly believe India would allow such a criminal back into the country?? You must have heard of the David Headley case?
OCI is a lifetime visa, nothing more, I have it, British origin white female!!!! I suppose I/they could be deported and just stay there and then apply for Indian citizenship --and then would be deported back to the UK.

Last edited by Bipat; Feb 29th 2016 at 6:46 am.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:48 am

I cannnot remember which case but there has been an occasional British- Indian sex offender involved in similar offences.
A British passport holder can only become an Indian citizen after living there continuously for one year---do you honestly believe India would allow such a criminal back into the country?? You must have heard of the David Headley case?
OCI is a lifetime visa, nothing more I have it, British origin white female!!!! I suppose I/they could be deported and just stay there and then apply for Indian citizenship --and then would be deported back to the UK.
No I don't think India would allow it. I don't think Pakistan will be too happy either. Given that neither country has signed up to the 1954 Convention relating to the Status of Stateless Persons or 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness then they simple strip the person concerned of their other citizenship leaving them effectively stateless.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 7:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't think India would allow it. I don't think Pakistan will be too happy either. Given that neither country has signed up to the 1954 Convention relating to the Status of Stateless Persons or 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness then they simple strip the person concerned of their other citizenship leaving them effectively stateless.
Send them to North Korea, they will know how to deal with them.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Except those in Rochdale who already have had their citizenship revoked and are currently in deportation proceedings and those in Rotherham who will soon be facing the same process.

None of those mentioned in the article were in 'ISIS territory' given that ISIS didn't have any territory when the article was published.

It would probably help your arguments if you actually read the sources being debated.

My apologies. The two individuals "rendered" according to the article were in Somalia and were senior members of al-Shabaar. Makes all the difference.

And you're still claiming the Rochdale assholes have had citizenship revoked but conveniently fail to provide any actual evidence. IMO irrelevant anyway because they don't deserve the benefits of British Citizenship anyway.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 2:32 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies. The two individuals "rendered" according to the article were in Somalia and were senior members of al-Shabaar. Makes all the difference.

And you're still claiming the Rochdale assholes have had citizenship revoked but conveniently fail to provide any actual evidence. IMO irrelevant anyway because they don't deserve the benefits of British Citizenship anyway.
Why don't you read BiP's post that started this thread?
Old Feb 29th 2016, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Editha
Why don't you read BiP's post that started this thread?
Yes. I read it and, as usual, there is NO evidence that these particular sex CRIMINALS have been deported or will be.
"there is likely to be an “acceleration of passport strike-outs and potential deportations"

"A special immigration tribunal in Manchester has just completed hearing appeals against Ms May’s decision to end their British citizenship and begin deportation proceedings... The tribunal will deliver its verdict next month."
So, they DO get an appeal!

"Since 2000, an estimated 37 people have had their British citizenship revoked. Their nationalities include: Russian, Somalia, Yemeni, Australian, Pakistani, Afghan, Albanian, Egyptian, Lebanese, Sudanese, Vietnamese, Iranian, Iraqi and Nigerian. The individuals held British passports from birth, or by application."
"37 people in 16 years". Hardly a tidal wave.

I understand that the outrage over this legislation is due to it's potential arbitrary application, but as I said before, nobody expects this to be applied to speeding drivers, burglars, muggers etc.

Personally, I would prefer that these (child sex ring) perpetrators be sent back to the country which spawned them (or spawned their ideals) rather than be released in 5 or 10 years to re-start their disgusting trade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.