Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK

Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK

Originally Posted by Breezey
Yeah I always pitied the Bankers living in St Johns Wood
Where the fluck is Maghull?
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:33 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
yep - although slough is more of a commercial office/warehouse kind of location.... think post war/ 1960s architecture gone to seed.... have you seen the bbc series The Office? based in slough...
God I couldn't stand The Office. I thought it was the most boring and ineffectual attempt at comedy the BBC has ever been involved with!

Where are The Young Ones when you need them LOL

Must check out Little Britain, I hear that's good
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:38 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Acording to the BBC, famous people from OxfordSHIRE (not sure about Oxford itself but surely at least one of them qualifies??)

Matthew Pinsent
Roger Bannister
Thom Yorke
Tim Henman
Rowan Atkinson
CS Lewis
Agatha Christie
George Harrison
FRR Tolkien
Lewis Carrl
Winston Churchill
Ronnie Barker
And I always thought George Harrison was from Liverpool then ended up with a home in California and one in London.

Silly me, obviously
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
And I always thought George Harrison was from Liverpool then ended up with a home in California and one in London.

Silly me, obviously
he had a gaff everywhere...but the one out in kidlington was lovely...
Old Mar 16th 2006, 2:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
he had a gaff everywhere...but the one out in kidlington was lovely...
gaff = home/house I take it?

Where is kidlington? never heard of it.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 3:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

gaff = home/house I take it?

Where is kidlington? never heard of it.
yeah, means home, and Kidlington, it's in Oxfordshire, about 5 mins from Oxford.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
I bought this book for a quid at a book shop a mate of mine worked for; only because his boss said she would chuck me out if I didn't buy anything!

I made a thread on this as I am interested to think what people of the results and if they have anything to say about them. Despite living in England for 15 years, I can honestly say even though I know I've been to some of these towns, I can't for the life of me remember what they were like.

All of the below are extracts from the book - not related to me in any way shape or form!

Listed in Reverse order, crappest town being #1.

50. St Albans
49. Hinchley Wood
48. Widnes
47. Barrow-in-Furness
46. Skelmersdale
45. Yate
44. Bridgwater
43. Alresford
42. Slough
41. Dagenham
40. Keighley
39. Hastings
38. Huntington
37. Maghull
36. Reading
35. Billingham
34. Newport
33. South Woodham Ferrers
32. Dover
31. Oxford
30. Peterhead
29. Tintern
28. Mirfield
27. Horsham
26. Hayling Island
25. Ipswich
24. Leiston
23. Aldeburgh
22. Brighton
21. Ascot
20. Didcot
19. Wolverhampton
18 Peterborough
17. London
16. Islington
15. Croydon
14. St John's Wood
13. Crouch End
12. Stockport
11. Portsmouth
10. Hackney
9. Basingstoke
8. Beshill-on-sea
7. St andrews
6. Liverpool
5. Winchester
4. Hythe
3. Morecambe
2. Cumbernauld
1. Hull

The Results looked to be based off a couple things:
Population
Unemployment Rate
Violent Crime Rate
% Achieving 5+ GCSE grades A-C

Discuss

Looks like all you people heading back to the U.K. should check "Brad-Fud" out then Must be a nice quiet place!!!
Cannot believe Hull beat Bradford
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:45 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Where the fluck is Maghull?
I believe it's in Liverpool.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:07 pm
turkeytickler

God I couldn't stand The Office. I thought it was the most boring and ineffectual attempt at comedy the BBC has ever been involved with!

Where are The Young Ones when you need them LOL

Must check out Little Britain, I hear that's good
Im no critic but i think the utter banality of it was part of the satire - people love it or hate it... i loved it.

Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cupranod
Milton Keynes is a great place to live if it's facilities and modernity you are seeking.
Apart from that,it's about the most unfriendly,soulless place I have ever lived;the people there are so ignorant it is untrue.

I think some of the larger towns in Cornwall are great to live in,but it all depends what you are looking for as far as work opportunities,cost of living et al.

I do agree that Hull is a shit hole though,as is Slough.
Hi all.
I am late on this I know but when I noticed a 50 crap towns thread I just knew Milton Keynes would be mentioned. Well I confess I live here and have since 1979. It was desperate for years until about the late nineties when they started to pour money into it.
It is fantastic as cities go and I have travelled all over the country and have been from Scotland to Cornwall. O.K so there are "better" places to live but at what cost.
It has everything now and anyone who has been to the snowdome will know how good it is. There are around 15 lakes to take the kids around, good entertainment and very good cheap housing when you think of the areas not that far away that are double the price. It has loads of parkland and traffic flows very well compared to most other towns , crime is no worse than anywhere else and in many cases better. It is home to many huge worldwide companies because of its clean image.
It can be seen as soul-less because the city has very few "locals" - we are all people from other cities/towns. If you think they are ignorant in Milton Keynes you have not been south of Watford then.
Most people that knock it have usually been to the bowl for a one day concert or a trip with work.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:43 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
Hi all.
I am late on this I know but when I noticed a 50 crap towns thread I just knew Milton Keynes would be mentioned. Well I confess I live here and have since 1979. It was desperate for years until about the late nineties when they started to pour money into it.
It is fantastic as cities go and I have travelled all over the country and have been from Scotland to Cornwall. O.K so there are "better" places to live but at what cost.
It has everything now and anyone who has been to the snowdome will know how good it is. There are around 15 lakes to take the kids around, good entertainment and very good cheap housing when you think of the areas not that far away that are double the price. It has loads of parkland and traffic flows very well compared to most other towns , crime is no worse than anywhere else and in many cases better. It is home to many huge worldwide companies because of its clean image.
It can be seen as soul-less because the city has very few "locals" - we are all people from other cities/towns. If you think they are ignorant in Milton Keynes you have not been south of Watford then.
Most people that knock it have usually been to the bowl for a one day concert or a trip with work.
its not my cup of tea - too much dual carriageway .... its like one giant retail park

Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

its not my cup of tea - too much dual carriageway .... its like one giant retail park
I know what you mean and agree. Its like Vash said its what suits us all at the particular time though. For the moment with 2 young boys I am very happy here but I certainly would not want to retire here and love other areas of the U.K much more but with children M.K is great.
Many people move to the villages and small towns for a better life but theses are just as crime and drug ridden as any of the cities, The U.K is just too crowded.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:20 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
I know what you mean and agree. Its like Vash said its what suits us all at the particular time though. For the moment with 2 young boys I am very happy here but I certainly would not want to retire here and love other areas of the U.K much more but with children M.K is great.
Many people move to the villages and small towns for a better life but theses are just as crime and drug ridden as any of the cities, The U.K is just too crowded.
something good about milton keynes (my folks live in upper gravenhurst so we visit quite regularly (well we did until we moved to nz!)) when you compare it to where i will be living (norwich) is how close it is to everything.... norwich is very much off the beaten track.... MK has fantastic transport links....

like the avatar btw

Old Mar 21st 2006, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

something good about milton keynes (my folks live in upper gravenhurst so we visit quite regularly (well we did until we moved to nz!)) when you compare it to where i will be living (norwich) is how close it is to everything.... norwich is very much off the beaten track.... MK has fantastic transport links....

like the avatar btw
Hi tt.
Its very near everything and I never have to leave the city for anything. A fast train to London is around 45 minutes and Birmingham is 1 hour by car.
Its on the a5 and m1, and as I said very cheap for being near to london.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Angelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the rough

What a load of poo!!
Where was Bradford on this list? What a dire spot .....and anyone been to Rochdale & Oldham lately?? Goole?? or that stinking chemical factory near Bolsover.? I reckon this list needs a radical overhaul !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.