Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK

Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK

Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
I think it's strange that there are some huge towns (almost cities) listed - Oxford/Reading/St Albans
Don't want to be too pedantic but Oxford and St.Albans are cities...not towns

G
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:25 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
To be honest that's what I first thought but since they were listed in a book of towns I thought I must be incorrect. What a totally crap book.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
What a totally crap book.
Sounds like it

G
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:56 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Okay....

I wanna see the list of TOP places to live.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Saying Oxford is a town will make Swindon happy because they have been trying to get city status for donkies of years now
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:56 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Saying Oxford is a town will make Swindon happy because they have been trying to get city status for donkies of years now
What is so up with this city vs town thing? Is it cathedral-spire envy? I mean they are rather large and phallic.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What is so up with this city vs town thing? Is it cathedral-spire envy? I mean they are rather large and phallic.
more than that...but it's part of it, that and population, jobs, uni's etc etc....and Swindon, big rival and there shite footie team, pains me to say are doing much better than Oxford, are called town, so be amusing if they ever got the upgrade
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

cupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nicecupranod is just really nice

Milton Keynes is a great place to live if it's facilities and modernity you are seeking.
Apart from that,it's about the most unfriendly,soulless place I have ever lived;the people there are so ignorant it is untrue.

I think some of the larger towns in Cornwall are great to live in,but it all depends what you are looking for as far as work opportunities,cost of living et al.

I do agree that Hull is a shit hole though,as is Slough.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 8:46 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by cupranod
I think some of the larger towns in Cornwall are great to live in,but it all depends what you are looking for as far as work opportunities,cost of living et al.
Yes, I keep hearing that Cornwall is nice.

I personally loved the village of Belper, Derbyshire, where my ancestors lived.

Horses for courses.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:29 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
more than that...but it's part of it, that and population, jobs, uni's etc etc....and Swindon, big rival and there shite footie team, pains me to say are doing much better than Oxford, are called town, so be amusing if they ever got the upgrade
Up The Robins !

You reds
Old Mar 14th 2006, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by BAY
Up The Robins !

You reds
evil
Old Mar 14th 2006, 1:01 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Didcot is very dull. And has a lot wrong with it - my overriding memory of that place is of cooling towers.

I think Oxford made the list by virtue of its one way system, which was clearly designed by a town planner with a grudge and an over-developed sense of malice.

Didn't rate Oxford as a city, but its surrounding villages (well, towns) were lovely. Fab place to spend an afternoon in a pub's beer garden

Originally Posted by Bob
Slough and Reading need to be higher than Oxford, Oxford is only expensive, lovely place to live...Swindon on the otherhand....craphole...and didn't make the list...

Didcot is a tad dull, but nought wrong with it...and Ascot, that's bloomin' tiny, nothing there except a train station that is falling apart and the race course...
Old Mar 14th 2006, 1:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Didcot is very dull. And has a lot wrong with it - my overriding memory of that place is of cooling towers.

I think Oxford made the list by virtue of its one way system, which was clearly designed by a town planner with a grudge and an over-developed sense of malice.

Didn't rate Oxford as a city, but its surrounding villages (well, towns) were lovely. Fab place to spend an afternoon in a pub's beer garden
I'll give you those cooling towers makes lovely cloud formations though *lol*

And Oxford made that list because of the housing cost, well the isn't a job problem, nor a crime problem, certainly nothing major...but that one way system is a tad shite, but once figured out ain't so bad...but a mare on parking in the city centre....on the plus, good bus service and loads of pubs, all within walking distance, can't knock that
Old Mar 14th 2006, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a bit from the book on Oxford & why it made it in here.

"The beauty, prosperity and inspirational intellectual atmosphere of Oxford make it the most appealing of all English cities. Unfortunately, they come at the expense of dumping most of the poorer sections of the community in large, desperate estates."

- Beautiful, thriving town center.
- Working class forced to live miles from the town in bad 'ghetto' estates. This is why the town center is so nice, at the working class' expense.
- Badly behaved kids, committing atrocious crimes: Tormenting mental people, lighting fire to bins, graphetti, joy riding, stole, pick pocketed etc

Basically, the bit they have explaining why Oxford made it there, is some bloke that grew up in a shithole estate and is moaning about kids growing up having no futures.

Population: 134,248
Unemployment: 2.2%
Violent Crimes (per year): 13.2 (per 1,000)
% achieving GCSE's A-C: 98% -----> that’s high! Almost a contradiction don't you think?
Famous Resident: Inspector Morse

Last edited by Crispyuk88; Mar 14th 2006 at 4:44 am.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:03 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
well if thats the case my Birth place has the biggest Phallic symbol in the country............ mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.