COVID19

Old Mar 18th 2020, 12:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default COVID19

I’m surprised there isn’t a thread on this already!

i was wondering how our members in the UK are coping during these uncertain times. Is it as bad as the press would have us believe...stampedes in shops for loo rolls etc? Is anyone sick or experiencing symptoms?

it would be really nice to hear first hand what’s happening there.

Old Mar 18th 2020, 1:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID19

Fortunately, I’ve only been in Tesco when there was absolutely NONE of certain key products (toilet roll, paracetamol, active dried yeast for instance.) The time there might be a stampede would be when there’s (say) three packages of toilet roll, and four shoppers who want them!
Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Fortunately, I’ve only been in Tesco when there was absolutely NONE of certain key products (toilet roll, paracetamol, active dried yeast for instance.) The time there might be a stampede would be when there’s (say) three packages of toilet roll, and four shoppers who want them!
thanks for replying Robin. I was surprised to see the amount of tumbleweeds blowing around this forum. I thought the forums had picked up a bit over the last week or so. Maybe more will post, when they get fed up of being stuck at home with little to do.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In our local Coop Supermarket yesterday no toilet paper, no pasta, no rice. To an old hand like me, who has lived in rural Africa at the time of The Second Chimurenga and in the Balkans in the period of transition to a free market, this is not a problem ! Dealing with shortages is easy - you should just learn to improvise.

Half the population of Planet Terra manage quite well without toilet paper !

Last edited by scot47; Mar 18th 2020 at 3:21 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Schools in Scotland to close on Friday 20 March. For an indefinite period.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 5:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by scot47
In our local Coop Supermarket yesterday no toilet paper, no pasta, no rice. To an old hand like me, who has lived in rural Africa at the time of The Second Chimurenga and in the Balkans in the period of transition to a free market, this is not a problem ! Dealing with shortages is easy - you should just learn to improvise.

Half the population of Planet Terra manage quite well without toilet paper !
yup it’s time to pull our belts in.

Schools in Scotland to close on Friday 20 March. For an indefinite period.
I don’t think they will open until Sept...if then.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 9:08 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

One positive is the ad hoc communities that are emerging. I live in a new-build block of flats in a small town in North Norfolk. Just ten flats, of which five are owner occupied and five tenanted (currently.) Owner occupiers are mostly elderly, renters tend to be “young professional” types.

I’ve been here five years, since it was built. Virtually no contact with any of the other residents, except for one elderly couple downstairs who I’m pretty friendly with. Now I’m in phone and/or email contact with all but one or two of my neighbors! And one young man, who, to be honest I’ve never even seen, has offered to do people’s shopping, pick up prescriptions etc., for people especially if they choose to (or need to) self-isolate.

We’ll see how it develops, but it’s very promising.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by robin1234
One positive is the ad hoc communities that are emerging. I live in a new-build block of flats in a small town in North Norfolk. Just ten flats, of which five are owner occupied and five tenanted (currently.) Owner occupiers are mostly elderly, renters tend to be “young professional” types.

I’ve been here five years, since it was built. Virtually no contact with any of the other residents, except for one elderly couple downstairs who I’m pretty friendly with. Now I’m in phone and/or email contact with all but one or two of my neighbors! And one young man, who, to be honest I’ve never even seen, has offered to do people’s shopping, pick up prescriptions etc., for people especially if they choose to (or need to) self-isolate.

We’ll see how it develops, but it’s very promising.
Thanks for posting that Robin, it put a smile on my face. That community spirit is so important at time like this.

High rise condo buildings could become a nightmare. Our condo in Downtown Toronto has 28 floors. The management have closed all community facilities and unlocked the fire escape staircase so people can use the stairs to avoid using the elevators. We went there this morning at 5 am to collect food and supplies which were there. I thought it would be a good time to go and avoid people in the elevators and it was.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Bekkiboo_969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi missing my family in the UK right now, but I hear they are doing fine and preparing for the worst. My mom's friends and neighbours are helping one another which makes me feel a huge relief. I'm stuck in the USA due to no flights and must say the attitude of many here is very black and white. While some are taking the COVID19 very seriously others are totally the opposite...
Old Mar 19th 2020, 9:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My daughter’s friend who lives in London said yesterday Primark was packed.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The population are now under effective house arrest ! "For the duration". Maybe we should revive that expression from the days of Vera Lynn ?
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18...nities/?ref=eb

And tourists are not always welcome.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 10:55 am
Heading for Poppyland

Interesting article. There was a similar one in The Guardian yesterday (if I remember correctly) about Cornwall. Apparently the number of people staying in their second homes & rented holiday cottages is much higher than the usual for this time of year, so it can be assumed that many of them are escapees from cities & suburbs.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

The article about Cummings saying that the economy is more important than pensioners is interesting. He backed tne herd infection strategy.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/22/scotl..._Xi1zZjuYtn5Ow

Stay away !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.