Covid vaccination waiting time

Old Jan 3rd 2021, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Covid vaccination waiting time

Anybody had their covid vaccination yet? I’m a healthy over 65 and wondering what the waiting period is.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 12:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid vaccination waiting time

Originally Posted by magnification
Anybody had their covid vaccination yet? I’m a healthy over 65 and wondering what the waiting period is.
I think I heard that the British government said recently that everyone over 65 should have been vaccinated by the end of March. Maybe differences between countries, Scotland, England etc.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 12:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnification
This may help - https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk (although it is giving you a date for the 2nd dose based on the new plan of within 12 weeks, so you'd have your first much sooner).

I know lots who've had it, but they're all older than you, so you'll be sometime later in the spring I'd guess.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
This may help - https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk (although it is giving you a date for the 2nd dose based on the new plan of within 12 weeks, so you'd have your first much sooner).

I know lots who've had it, but they're all older than you, so you'll be sometime later in the spring I'd guess.
The calculator originally gave me dates between 1st and 28th Feb for my first dose, but since it change to both doses, it now suggests between 28th March and 22nd May to have had both doses. I suspect there'll be local variations due to supply chain and nurse availability.

I'm in group 6 on the 9-point list, with both a clinically-vulnerable health condition and an underlying health condition.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 3rd 2021 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Those running the show here do not know. They make it up as they go along. The sensible thing is to live like a hermit - if you can.

Last edited by scot47; Jan 3rd 2021 at 6:54 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the 65-70 age group so don't expect to be vaccinated before March. We know several over 80's who have been vaccinated including 2 who went to our local hospital for scheduled outpatient appointments, nothing to do with Covid, and since they were in the group scheduled for vaccinations were given their first shots. My wife's knitting group have been meeting on Zoom every Wednesday and she doesn't always attend but did attend yesterday. One of the knitters is a nurse at our local, large, hospital and is in fact a "vaccinator" and passed on some interesting news. They have finished all the front line workers at the hospital and are working through the patients, plus catching any outpatients that come in, even if they haven't been contacted previously. They are also well through the care homes in our area, staff and residents.

She said they've seen quite a few allergic reactions, nothing worse than skin rashes, among folks that carry epipens and almost always on their second injection - this is the Pfizer vaccine.

A logistical problem we didn't know about is that neither the Pfizer or Oxford vaccine is licensed yet, just emergency use authorization. This means that a doctor has to explain this and get patient authorization in person, plus be present during the vaccination in case of bad reactions to the vaccine. They can speed things up by doing vaccinations in a room with many vaccinators and one doctor to oversee it.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I watched our local news report last night, "Look North" inside Care Homes where residents are being vaccinated. A few of them turned down the vaccine saying they don't want the German made vaccine (Pfizer) and will wait until they can get the British one (AstraZeneca). You couldn't make it up.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I watched our local news report last night, "Look North" inside Care Homes where residents are being vaccinated. A few of them turned down the vaccine saying they don't want the German made vaccine (Pfizer) and will wait until they can get the British one (AstraZeneca). You couldn't make it up.
As is their right to go to the back of the queue.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
As is their right to go to the back of the queue.
I couldn't agree more, plus there will be plenty who don't want the vaccine at all, no matter where it comes from. I think a 70% acceptance rate is what the government is hoping for, higher if possible.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

I couldn't agree more, plus there will be plenty who don't want the vaccine at all, no matter where it comes from. I think a 70% acceptance rate is what the government is hoping for, higher if possible.
The expected take-up rate is 70.6% according to the vaccine calculator, so you're spot on. In our area, it seems our local NHS trust is only asking for the AZ/Oxford vaccine as it's easier to store and distribute, and that makes one one vaccine type gets administered.

Personally, I couldn't care less who supplies mine as long as it's the same supplier for both doses, as I haven't seen any trials regarding mixing vaccines. And with the Moderna vaccine approved today, there are a variety of combinations.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Personally, I couldn't care less who supplies mine as long as it's the same supplier for both doses, as I haven't seen any trials regarding mixing vaccines. And with the Moderna vaccine approved today, there are a variety of combinations.
Good news indeed.

The Moderna vaccine is expected to be available here in the spring which is about the time my age group should be at the head of the line. I'll take whatever vaccine is offered.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55586410

The UK has ordered an extra 10 million doses of this vaccine, taking the total order to 17 million, but supplies are not expected to arrive until spring.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

Good news indeed.

The Moderna vaccine is expected to be available here in the spring which is about the time my age group should be at the head of the line. I'll take whatever vaccine is offered.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55586410
Yeah, because the UK ordered theirs after the EU order, which the UK chose not to be part of. So we're paying more per dose and are further in the queue, purely down to stubbornness.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite. The uk chose to negotiate their own deals which each manufacturer to ensure the right numbers and deliveries to suit them. The oxford vacine is the main choice and is way cheaper to procure and distribute.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I expect to get mine in March. It is not a panacea. I had Covid back in March last year so I may have some immunity.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
Not quite. The uk chose to negotiate their own deals which each manufacturer to ensure the right numbers and deliveries to suit them. The oxford vacine is the main choice and is way cheaper to procure and distribute.
In EU countries, each member state gave their numbers to the EU, who then negotiated a price for the total requirement. Each country will receive it's vaccine requirement pro-rata, so if France orders 5% of the total, it receives 5% of each batch distributed by the manufacturer.

The UK does the same on behalf of England and the three regions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.