Countryside with London commute ?

Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:11 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Countryside with London commute ?

Our reccie is this year and I'm getting nervous.

The thing is, we don't have to be anywhere in particular... but we'll be trying to cater to three sets of different wants and needs.

We'll be looking around for an area which is no more than an hour from London, has countryside and has entertainment and social opportunities for a young adult.

I'd like to avoid a large City but would like to be an easy distance from one.

If any BE's can please advise of towns and villages (they like) which fit this bill, I'd love to hear about them.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countryside with London commute ?

I'm on the Liverpool Street line from Cambridge - takes about 1:15 from here and we have all the other boxes ticked. You can't beat Cambridge for young adult stuff to do - you don't have to be a Uni student to access most of it. I think you will be spoiled for choice really - check out the line down from Oxford too. Only downside is that those sorts of places tend to come with quite a hefty price tag!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:05 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Brighton. Just over an hour to London. Britain's coolest city.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:19 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Northamptonshire has some pretty stunning countryside and Northampton is approx 1 hr to Euston on the train.

This website Commuter Guide has some pretty good information.

Realistically, it will depend on your budget. There is a big difference in housing costs between north and south and you will most likely get more for your £ if you look north of London (think the Midlands)
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

What's the rationale for the 1 hour from London requirement? If it's in order to get to London to work, then I think you have to determine exactly where in London you will be working, so you can pick the right train line etc.

We live in East Dorset (right on the border with Hampshire) and this is a lovely area. When we go to London we drive about 30 mins to Southampton Airport and then it's just over an hour into Waterloo. That's great for weekends, or the odd day trip on business for my husband, but not something we would want to do every day.

This area would tick your other boxes too - good countryside and plenty of social opportunities.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:23 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Our reccie is this year and I'm getting nervous.

The thing is, we don't have to be anywhere in particular... but we'll be trying to cater to three sets of different wants and needs.

We'll be looking around for an area which is no more than an hour from London, has countryside and has entertainment and social opportunities for a young adult.

I'd like to avoid a large City but would like to be an easy distance from one.

If any BE's can please advise of towns and villages (they like) which fit this bill, I'd love to hear about them.
Chichester? I was there on business at the university last year and it seemed to have all of that. Not too far from the sea, either.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Look around Marlow, Buckinghamshire nice small town with excellent schools and easy commute to London and the Cotswolds on your doorstep plus the river Thames.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:13 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Thank-you all for the suggestions and links. We will check these places out.

Arriving in Spring, short term accommodation prices will be going up but, at this stage, we think the best option will be to spend some time 'town hopping' to have a look around before deciding where to settle.

I wonder if anyone else has done this?
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

We're moving to Staffs and was looking at flexi jobs where I need to be in the office for 2 days a week.
Just checked the prices and times to get to Richmond office!!
2 changes and almost a 3 hour commute at 70+ pounds!

its only 1.15 to Euston but its the changes from Euston that take the time and effort.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:30 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, nobody commutes from Staffs to London. When we first moved to Staffs, I still had an office in London, and I was only able to get up to Staffs for the weekends. I had to keep my flat in Docklands pro tem. Then during our last year in Staffordshire, my husband was working at UCL, and only able to get up to Staffs at weekends.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Believe me, nobody commutes from Staffs to London. When we first moved to Staffs, I still had an office in London, and I was only able to get up to Staffs for the weekends. I had to keep my flat in Docklands pro tem. Then during our last year in Staffordshire, my husband was working at UCL, and only able to get up to Staffs at weekends.
Thanks for the advice.
I thought it would be easy. Well if your office was next to Euston.
Lichfield trent valley direct line into Euston but ... to Richmond or Heathrow is a different ball game.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Start with your place of work and work backwards. No point looking at places which are on the wrong side of London and would add an extra hour to your commute.

So if your office is in Richmond you are already a fair way out and you have Richmond Park on your doorstep so you may wish to live in or nearby which would give you access to green spaces and the tube for central London.

The other major factor would be cost. Property in the South-East isn't cheap but then neither are rail season tickets.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Start with your place of work and work backwards. No point looking at places which are on the wrong side of London and would add an extra hour to your commute.

So if your office is in Richmond you are already a fair way out and you have Richmond Park on your doorstep so you may wish to live in or nearby which would give you access to green spaces and the tube for central London.

The other major factor would be cost. Property in the South-East isn't cheap but then neither are rail season tickets.
we're starting with a place close to family and a safe, clean, good school area.
Then we're going from there. Its close to Birmingham so no shortage of jobs there.
Had possible job prospects at Heathrow, Richmond and Farnsborough but all too far from my family.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:17 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
we're starting with a place close to family and a safe, clean, good school area.
Then we're going from there. Its close to Birmingham so no shortage of jobs there.
Had possible job prospects at Heathrow, Richmond and Farnsborough but all too far from my family.
Sorry, managed to confuse your posts with the OP's.

If it's two days a week in Richmond then driving may be a possibility if you're looking to get a job close to home. Depending on where you are exactly it might be quicker than taking the train. Not something you probably want to do everyday but twice a week for the short term wouldn't be too terrible. Otherwise it'll the train to Euston and then 40 minutes on the tube via Victoria.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

have found this site useful
www.commutefrom.co.uk

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.