Counting the days

Old Sep 3rd 2014, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Goofball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Counting the days

After close to 10 years in UAE, DH decided that he had enough and need to go home....pronto. I am not a Brit, so it has been quite daunting for me as I didn't like it much when I followed him to UK the first time around. I have good job here. Schools are a bit questionable.

Finding some sort of assurance from Expatwoman forum have not been helpful. It seems most would prefer not to return to UK. However, finding this forum is a bit of saviour to my soul. I love coming to this forum these last few months reading about the visa application and the good, bad and ugly comments from Brits who have returned home. UK is not my home but DH. In a way, it is a new adventure for me. Reading all the comments here in a way help to prepare me better this time around.

I am excited now to join DH who is already there in Kent. We know that there will be a lot of hurdles to jump especially getting our daughter settle in the new environment and school.

Serving my notice now. Waiting for my visa to be processed. Don't understand why our marriage cert and our daughter's birth cert are not suffice to prove that we have indeed met Need to send pictures now.

Last edited by Goofball; Sep 3rd 2014 at 9:27 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 12:21 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Counting the days

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you!
Old Sep 4th 2014, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Goofball, and good luck with the move, the adjustment, and the visa application process.

Not sure what visa you are applying for, but the whole thing can be very daunting and they make it so hard for non-EU spouses, even when you have been married for decades!!

Best of luck with it all. Welcome to this forum--it's lovely to hear that it has helped you so much. So many expats here long to go back to the UK and have a positive attitude towards life there, which is certainly what you want to read now!

However, it's also good that you've read posts by people who have already returned, so you can see what they found difficult or strange and also what they like. That way you'll be better prepared, as you say.

Keep us posted!
Old Sep 5th 2014, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Goofball is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Tirytory and BTW.

I am applying for spouse visa. I have submitted my application on 1st Sept in Dubai. They contacted me from Abu Dhabi on the 3rd asking for more supporting documents. I have submitted all the following day except for one which will require more time unfortunately. Out of my hand. So, I have to wait

I was a lot younger when I first moved to UK. Looking back I think I didn't give the country and myself enough chance and time. I was focusing on the negative stuff, rather than the positive ones that I have beginning to notice these past few years during our visit. At the end of the day, no country is perfect. Mine has many flaws but I still love her to bits. Maybe we will return there for retirement.

I still like the fact that I am not paying tax here in Dubai but a lot of stuff beginning to get to me as well. It feels like that my rose tinted glasses have suddenly broken and I am beginning to notice things that I have not noticed or perhaps just ignored. There will be a lot of adjustment to our life in UK but as I said to DH, we will cross that bridge when we get there. He is settling down slowly now ....started his new job, getting used to the commute to London, etc. Our biggest worry is the school. The school that we want for our daughter still has places for her year at the moment but we could not apply till she and I get there. Still, I am feeling a lot optimistic these days.