British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Clothes for tall people? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/clothes-tall-people-947307/)

Lion in Winter Mar 5th 2023 8:13 am

Clothes for tall people?

Not a life threatening problem, obviously, but where on earth in the UK do tall and substantial people find off the peg clothes, particularly trousers? At 6' 4" OH usually takes a 36" inseam, can sometimes but not often get away with a 35". He is also not rail thin. On the "big and tall" online places you can find trousers with vast waistbands, but even finding a 34 leg is a rarity. I found one site that did go taller, but only with really skinny cuts and waists. At the moment, can't even find a pair of sweats that will work.

Does anyone have any idea on sites, shops, or brands that will solve this?

old.sparkles Mar 5th 2023 8:24 am

Re: Clothes for tall people?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13177386)
Not a life threatening problem, obviously, but where on earth in the UK do tall and substantial people find off the peg clothes, particularly trousers? At 6' 4" OH usually takes a 36" inseam, can sometimes but not often get away with a 35". He is also not rail thin. On the "big and tall" online places you can find trousers with vast waistbands, but even finding a 34 leg is a rarity. I found one site that did go taller, but only with really skinny cuts and waists. At the moment, can't even find a pair of sweats that will work.

Does anyone have any idea on sites, shops, or brands that will solve this?

The used to be a shop called 'big and tall' or something like that.

Next have a range for tall people I think.

Not sure if either suggestion is any help

Lynn R Mar 5th 2023 8:37 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 13177387)

Next have a range for tall people I think.

Not sure if either suggestion is any help

It was called High and Mighty - my late father, who was 6' 6" loved it ever since he was able to walk in and buy a suit off the peg for the first time in his life. Sadly it does not exist any more.

Have you seen this site, LIW?

Tall Mens Trousers | Extra Long Trousers | 2tall.com

Lynn R Mar 5th 2023 8:53 am

The range of things we are able to buy easily seems to be shrinking all the time. I used to be able to buy longer body length swimsuits at M&S, BHS and Debenhams. The latter 2 stores are no more and M&S no longer stock them. I tried buying an expensive one online from Lands End and it barely lasted 4 months before the fabric faded badly and started to lose elasticity. I am back to having to buy them 2 sizes too big just so they will stretch long enough so that I can stand upright without having to hunch my back!

All the better quality high street brands I used to like have mostly disappeared now, Hobbs is one of the few left. There is not much available between the very cheap but poor quality end of the market and very expensive designer brands. I used to love going back to the UK for a couple of shopping trips a year but it is getting harder and harder to find things worth buying.

scrubbedexpat142 Mar 5th 2023 9:23 am

I hope this isn't a stupid comment but I would have thought the Dutch would have sites that cater for very tall people - the Dutch are inclined to be very tall!

BristolUK Mar 5th 2023 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 13177387)

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 13177393)
It was called High and Mighty

Bristol had one of each. One of them sold the trousers unhemmed to be adjusted to suit (pun intended)

This place suggests leg lengths to 40 :ohmy:

Lion in Winter Mar 5th 2023 12:56 pm

Thanks all, I will try these. "Big and tall" usually seems to end up meaning either "huge but not especially tall" or "either big or tall but not both". I hadn't seen the 2tall site or bc4u.

Lion in Winter Mar 5th 2023 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 13177396)
The range of things we are able to buy easily seems to be shrinking all the time. I used to be able to buy longer body length swimsuits at M&S, BHS and Debenhams. The latter 2 stores are no more and M&S no longer stock them. I tried buying an expensive one online from Lands End and it barely lasted 4 months before the fabric faded badly and started to lose elasticity. I am back to having to buy them 2 sizes too big just so they will stretch long enough so that I can stand upright without having to hunch my back!

All the better quality high street brands I used to like have mostly disappeared now, Hobbs is one of the few left. There is not much available between the very cheap but poor quality end of the market and very expensive designer brands. I used to love going back to the UK for a couple of shopping trips a year but it is getting harder and harder to find things worth buying.

Have you tried these people?

https://www.longtallsally.com/search?q=Swimsuit

Lynn R Mar 5th 2023 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13177449)

Thanks, I do know of them and they are a lot more reasonably priced than Lands End, but it is too risky these days ordering anything online that comes from the UK as often Spanish Customs send demands for hefty fees before they will release the goods. I used to order quite a lot of things from the UK but I am afraid that business is lost to them now.

Lion in Winter Mar 5th 2023 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 13177451)
Thanks, I do know of them and they are a lot more reasonably priced than Lands End, but it is too risky these days ordering anything online that comes from the UK as often Spanish Customs send demands for hefty fees before they will release the goods. I used to order quite a lot of things from the UK but I am afraid that business is lost to them now.

Is ebay active in Spain? In the US I used to buy uk brands there that somebody was reselling for whatever reason, and not only used stuff, either.

Pulaski Mar 5th 2023 3:27 pm

When I lived in the UK, the best solution I found, especially for casual clothing, so not suits and dress shirts*, was to buy direct from Lands' End and LLBean in the US. The prices of the garments was low enough that even having to pay import duties made the prices bearable, though that was when the USD/GBP exchange rate was around $1.60-ish. :unsure:

Given the alternatives of both style and fit available in the UK, I would have still done the same thing had the exchange rate been worse.

* I also found that Lands' End have the best-fitting, most comfortable dress shirts too. :)

Lion in Winter Mar 5th 2023 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13177480)
When I lived in the UK, the best solution I found, especially for casual clothing, so not suits and dress shirts*, was to buy direct from Lands' End and LLBean in the US. The prices of the garments was low enough that even having to pay import duties made the prices bearable, though that was when the USD/GBP exchange rate was around $1.60-ish. :unsure:

Given the alternatives of both style and fit available in the UK, I would have still done the same thing had the exchange rate been worse.

* I also found that Lands' End have the best-fitting, most comfortable dress shirts too. :)

One pair Bean jogger type cargoes - just over 100 quid, sent from US :blink:

Lynn R Mar 5th 2023 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13177480)

The price of a longer body length swimsuit on the Lands End website for me, in Spain, is €150 which I find ridiculous considering the one I bought from them (at 50% off in the sale so a "bargain" €75) lasted less than 4 months. I don't mind paying for quality but I hate being conned into paying high prices for poor quality.

Lion in Winter Mar 5th 2023 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 13177508)
The price of a longer body length swimsuit on the Lands End website for me, in Spain, is €150 which I find ridiculous considering the one I bought from them (at 50% off in the sale so a "bargain" €75) lasted less than 4 months. I don't mind paying for quality but I hate being conned into paying high prices for poor quality.

Land's End is def not what it was in terms of quality.

Lynn R Mar 5th 2023 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13177518)
Land's End is def not what it was in terms of quality.

So many brands are not. I have really noticed how fabrics in particular are of a much lesser quality than they were 5-10 years ago.

I looked at online reviews of Lands End swimsuits after my experience and it seems I was not the only person to find that the fabric faded badly and lost elasticity. A suit bought locally in C&A in Spain for €35 has proved more durable.