Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

Rebeccajo,

I'm so sorry for your great loss. Much too young, it must have been a terrible shock for you and your family. Wishing you strength and sending deepest sympathy.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:40 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

There are moments when I feel profoundly grateful that I'm a European and not an American.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Because most asylum-seekers arrive with nothing but a few clothes (and if they're lucky, a mobile phone (which will likely have the few pictures of their family they can access).

Emigrants returning to the UK permanantly tend to have savings, have left a good job and home, and will be considered to have made themselves intentionally homeless if they don't have accommodation arranged in the UK.

Would an American returning to the U.S. after a period working abroad get benefits and the like as soon as they arrived back in the states?
Generally someone returning to UK seems to have to wait 3 months before being able to claim JSA or housing benefit, whether they have savings or not. So it just seems odd a British citizen subject to such restrictions, and someone with no tries to Britain and hasn't paid NI immediately gets supported.

Well US system different, for example unemployment benefits are based on contributions paid in over certain length of time, so not directly comparable. But if they didn't have funds at least in states I am aware of they could qualify for food stamps immediately, and Medicaid.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 8:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Generally someone returning to UK seems to have to wait 3 months before being able to claim JSA or housing benefit, whether they have savings or not. So it just seems odd a British citizen subject to such restrictions, and someone with no tries to Britain and hasn't paid NI immediately gets supported....
To revisit a previous post, it's all part of trying to stop benefit tourism - whereby people with no UK connection try to claim benefits while visiting.

It may seem odd to have such a requirement for Brits returning (remembering that there are certain Brits who also try to "play the system" by claiming to be resident and benefiting from what's available and then buggering off back to where they really live) but being a member of the EU (for now) it would be discriminatory for these rules to apply to some EU citizens and not others, so it's all EU citizens or none of them. The government elected to apply rules to all of them.

A Brit returning, as stated in a previous post, is likely doing so in planned way. There is choice.

The same cannot be said of the person fleeing persecution or a war zone.

Most if not all countries have financial requirements (minimum incomes, sponsorship, waiting periods etc) for normal immigration and resettlement purposes. By it's very nature seeking refugee status is outside the normal immigration, resettlement process, so normality doesn't apply.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
To revisit a previous post, it's all part of trying to stop benefit tourism - whereby people with no UK connection try to claim benefits while visiting.

It may seem odd to have such a requirement for Brits returning (remembering that there are certain Brits who also try to "play the system" by claiming to be resident and benefiting from what's available and then buggering off back to where they really live) but being a member of the EU (for now) it would be discriminatory for these rules to apply to some EU citizens and not others, so it's all EU citizens or none of them. The government elected to apply rules to all of them.

A Brit returning, as stated in a previous post, is likely doing so in planned way. There is choice.

The same cannot be said of the person fleeing persecution or a war zone.

Most if not all countries have financial requirements (minimum incomes, sponsorship, waiting periods etc) for normal immigration and resettlement purposes. By it's very nature seeking refugee status is outside the normal immigration, resettlement process, so normality doesn't apply.
Yes I understand there is a certain logic to the system, but I still think absurd that non-citizens get benefits easier than British citizens- and some people for whatever reason in life may not be able to plan things as you point out. I assume there are enough people "playing the system" already living in UK so why single out Brits who have been abroad ?

Maybe if the US and UK insisted that countries such as Saudi Arabia took their share of refugees/asylum seekers I would feel a bit differently.

As far as other countries having financial requirements and waiting periods, yes that is quite normal. Doesn't make it fair.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 11:34 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Yes I understand there is a certain logic to the system, but I still think absurd that non-citizens get benefits easier than British citizens- and some people for whatever reason in life may not be able to plan things as you point out. I assume there are enough people "playing the system" already living in UK so why single out Brits who have been abroad ?
'Non-citizens' covers such a wide-ranging spectrum that it's useless in this context.

Asylum seekers and refugees get about half what a qualifying UK national would receive on benefits (£36 v £73 single-person, £113 for couples).

Returning Brit expats who have been resident in Ireland don't have to satisfy the Habitual Residence Test. All other UK nationals who've resided outside the UK for more than 3 months do have to.

Since around 1996, non-Brit migrants and family members almost always have No Recourse to Public Funds stamped in their passport (unless entering under EU rules). This means no access to benefits such as unemployment for a period of 5 years.

When you talk of non-citizens, you really need to specify which group you're referring to.

Maybe if the US and UK insisted that countries such as Saudi Arabia took their share of refugees/asylum seekers I would feel a bit differently.
THE GULF STATES ARE TAKING SYRIAN REFUGEES

The numbers show that, contrary to the common view, Syrians have moved to the Gulf en masse.
As far as other countries having financial requirements and waiting periods, yes that is quite normal. Doesn't make it fair.
I didn't expect to be able to move to Canada or to Malta without having the means to support myself, so why should anyone expect to move to the UK and rely on the UK to support them (asylum seekers and refugees excepted).

I do have an issue with the UK income requirement for Spouse Visa (which at £18,600 is the 2nd highest in Europe), I'd rather we didn't have one, but I'd accept one that is around £10,000 per year (because I was working 2 jobs and still only making £15,500 2 years ago).
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

'Non-citizens' covers such a wide-ranging spectrum that it's useless in this context.

Asylum seekers and refugees get about half what a qualifying UK national would receive on benefits (£36 v £73 single-person, £113 for couples).

Returning Brit expats who have been resident in Ireland don't have to satisfy the Habitual Residence Test. All other UK nationals who've resided outside the UK for more than 3 months do have to.

Since around 1996, non-Brit migrants and family members almost always have No Recourse to Public Funds stamped in their passport (unless entering under EU rules). This means no access to benefits such as unemployment for a period of 5 years.

When you talk of non-citizens, you really need to specify which group you're referring to.

THE GULF STATES ARE TAKING SYRIAN REFUGEES

I didn't expect to be able to move to Canada or to Malta without having the means to support myself, so why should anyone expect to move to the UK and rely on the UK to support them (asylum seekers and refugees excepted).

I do have an issue with the UK income requirement for Spouse Visa (which at £18,600 is the 2nd highest in Europe), I'd rather we didn't have one, but I'd accept one that is around £10,000 per year (because I was working 2 jobs and still only making £15,500 2 years ago).
By non-citizens I meant only that, non-citizens whomever they are.

Thanks for posting the articles about Syrians in the Gulf, I still believe that most of Syrian refugees should be sent there and paid for by the Gulf states. My understanding ( and I could be misinformed) that Saudi Arabia has also meddled in Syria). The numbers I have a problem even comprehending how looking at Syria's population how many have left the country in recent years.

It is one thing a Brit being prepared for a move to Canada, than a Brit returning home, and I just think it is absurd a refugee/asylum-seeker gets money immediately.

The income requirement for bringing in a non-citizen spouse if quite unfair in my opinion.

If it is considered beneficial to let so many people in, why not make it easier for those with ties to a British citizen ;ready ?
Old Jan 1st 2017, 2:02 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
There are moments when I feel profoundly grateful that I'm a European and not an American.
It makes you special!
Old Jan 1st 2017, 5:34 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
It makes you special!
It is more not living somewhere with 'anti-abortion' clinics. And not being the country which elected a giant orange sheep-tick as president.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It is more not living somewhere with 'anti-abortion' clinics. And not being the country which elected a giant orange sheep-tick as president.
At least the sheep-tick was elected (with or without Putin's help).

No-one, and I mean no-one, voted for May to be Prime Minister.

Happy New Year although I don't think happy is a likely outcome.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 10:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
At least the sheep-tick was elected (with or without Putin's help).

Happy New Year although I don't think happy is a likely outcome.
Good old Theresa. The immigrant's friend
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 8:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a State with no abortion and no marriage equality. If I didn't like the place so much I would not be here.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
To be pedantic no-one votes for a UK Prime Minister...it's a Parliamentary system but a Prime Minister is still appointed by the Queen.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
To be pedantic no-one votes for a UK Prime Minister...it's a Parliamentary system but a Prime Minister is still appointed by the Queen.
Actually, the leader of the political party with the most MP's is asked by the Queen to form a government.

The party leaders are voted as such by the MP's or registered members of the party (depending on the party's rules). In Theresa May's case, she became leader because the other challengers withdrew their nominations, leaving May as the sole candidate.

To be pedantic!
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the leader of the political party with the most MP's is asked by the Queen to form a government.

The party leaders are voted as such by the MP's or registered members of the party (depending on the party's rules). In Theresa May's case, she became leader because the other challengers withdrew their nominations, leaving May as the sole candidate.

To be pedantic!
What I said without explanation but....seeing as you wish to clarify, according to wiki, that isn't absolutely correct...

"The office (Prime Minister) is not established by any constitution or law but exists only by long-established convention, which stipulates that the monarch must appoint as prime minister the person most likely to command the confidence of the House of Commons; this individual is typically the leader of the political party or coalition of parties that holds the largest number of seats in that chamber.