Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

Old Nov 15th 2015, 12:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
My husband...
Sounds like a good'un.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 1:42 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sounds like a good'un.
Aw, thank you. I think he is. Everyone who meets him, likes him very much.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 1:52 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I have applied for both medical insurance subsidies and heating benefit in Massachusetts because of my low income. The forms are quite simple and I got an interview with the heating assistance office the same day I called to ask them some questions. They take a driver's license as proof of residence and need proof of income for the last 3 months or your last tax return to see if you qualify. The result is I get 25% reduction in my cost of electricity and gas and a $1000 grant to pay energy bills and only have to pay $50/month for medical insurance at some of the best hospitals in the world.

IMHO the social safety net in Massachusetts is far better than in the UK....oh and I only pay 6.25% of earnings in payroll taxes, compared to 12% for UK NICs, and my US SS will be almost twice as much as the new flat rate UK state pension.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 12:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
IMHO the social safety net in Massachusetts is far better than in the UK....
There is certainly some good support available in North America with many thinking it's "low income" support when it might actually be high expenses triggering eligibility rather than low income.

The trouble is it varies so much province to province and, I assume similarly, state to state.

Massachusetts certainly looks to be serving you well. There may be others there a bit disappointed that in their situation they'd be better served somewhere else.

Overall, and despite the cuts, I'd say the UK has the better safety net taking everything into account.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 12:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There is certainly some good support available in North America with many thinking it's "low income" support when it might actually be high expenses triggering eligibility rather than low income.

The trouble is it varies so much province to province and, I assume similarly, state to state.

Massachusetts certainly looks to be serving you well. There may be others there a bit disappointed that in their situation they'd be better served somewhere else.

Overall, and despite the cuts, I'd say the UK has the better safety net taking everything into account.
The US system can end up blaming the poor for their predicament. Someome I know had stroke at age around 60, and appears to have been denied society security disability money because either his work history had been in jobs too poorly paid to contribute to Social Security, or a significant part of his SS contributions were stolen by his employer.

I spoke to a local lawyer who specializes in such things, and she confirmed that it is not uncommon to find that people are denied disability based on a lack of contributions. There is no alternative government scheme to claim from.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 1:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...it is not uncommon to find that people are denied disability based on a lack of contributions. There is no alternative government scheme to claim from.
Yep. One of the ways that the UK is better.

Then, of course, there was that ridiculous case in the media recently of the woman suing her young nephew at the behest of the insurance company because her medical costs for her broken wrist (when the kid enthusiastically greeted her) were otherwise not covered.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 2:40 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The US system is highly variable because so much is done at a state level. Even Federally funded benefits like Medicaid are not implemented by some states. Massachusetts has quite a good set of benefits, services and public health.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Cases of employers "forgetting" to pay National insurance contributions in the Uk are surprisingly common. The system is such that the Secretary of State can "deem" such contributions to have been made if the money was deducted from salary but not paid to HMRC in a timeous manner.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Cases of employers "forgetting" to pay National insurance contributions in the Uk are surprisingly common. The system is such that the Secretary of State can "deem" such contributions to have been made if the money was deducted from salary but not paid to HMRC in a timeous manner.
Sometimes those employers 'forgetting' to pay NI end up in court -

Bus director admits tax fraud scheme woth more than £10,000 - Daily Record
Old Jan 28th 2016, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When I am Supreme Leader they will end up on the scaffold. In public of course.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
When I am Supreme Leader they will end up on the scaffold. In public of course.
The work of another supreme leader -

North Korea 'executes' army chief of staff Ri Yong-gil - BBC News
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
What the denial of benefits is about is the fact that there were many people coming to the UK to live, and just because they knew they would get beneifts from the moment they arrived, other EU countries are now finding this out and beginning to agree with the UK that something needs to be done. The UK doesn't deny benefits to people who enter as genuine assylum seekers, just those coming because they feel they can get something for nothing, and with the Spouse visa requirements being what they are, then those people will not be needing to apply for benefits in any case.
Just curious- if someone who is not British, no ties to the UK can get benefits when entering the UK as an "asylum" seeker- what is logic of British citizen not getting benefits because he or she lived abroad ?
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Well at least your situation does show that the UK isn't just giving out benefits with no checks. When we returned to the UK 6 years ago we had to do all that you have had, although we were pensioners and didn't have to show proof of income as we had been living off pensions for the last few years, we did, however, have to prove we had no savings in any other country, proof we had closed bank acounts etc, and had to sign legal documents to say we had no other income. I'm not at all surprized about the accounts as they would have to have some sort of proof that you didn't still have an ongoing business in Holland, in other words that you were not tryng to get benefits you were not entitled to. The UK has been slated for many years because it was too keen to give out benefits, and now they have tightened up om the benefit rules to stop ecconomic migrants they seem to be getting slated for tightening the ruls up by people who were upset by the previous laxity.
I'm sorry that ylu have had to jump through the hoops, but perhaps a little research as to what is required would have been useful. If you had a current address in Holland, that would by why you failed the habitual residence test as they might have felt that you were just moving to claim benefits.

You can't really complain about people in the past getting benefits without being entitled, and then complain that you couldn't get those same benefits withpit the proof you were entitled.
Perhaps not the right thread but I find this habitual residency test a bit confusing. If it is a flat rule that one has to be in country three months before applying, why then would a British citizen have to provide all sorts of documents supporting them being a habitual resident ? From government website one part seems to imply that there isn't a three month requirement but depends on the circumstances., but every where else I read three months.

On the other hand my understanding is council tax required as soon as you return !
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 8:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by morpeth
Just curious- if someone who is not British, no ties to the UK can get benefits when entering the UK as an "asylum" seeker- what is logic of British citizen not getting benefits because he or she lived abroad ?
Essentially it's expected that one has to be habitually or normally resident in the UK to qualify for the benefit - albeit different benefits have different rules.

It may thus be reasonably inferred that one has a home elsewhere (this might, for example, apply to Brits who live abroad and when visiting the UK like to avail themselves of some benefits - monetary or otherwise -) or that one has left what was a home elsewhere and would still be available but for the decision to make it not so.

None of this can be said of the stateless or asylum seeker, hence the requirement (or qualifying period) not applying.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 8:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Essentially it's expected that one has to be habitually or normally resident in the UK to qualify for the benefit - albeit different benefits have different rules.

It may thus be reasonably inferred that one has a home elsewhere (this might, for example, apply to Brits who live abroad and when visiting the UK like to avail themselves of some benefits - monetary or otherwise -) or that one has left what was a home elsewhere and would still be available but for the decision to make it not so.

None of this can be said of the stateless or asylum seeker, hence the requirement (or qualifying period) not applying.
When we moved back to the UK from Spain, we had to sign a form to say we had no assets in Spain before we were allowed to claim any sort of benefit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.