Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

Old Dec 27th 2016, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of
Default Re: A CAUTIONARY TALE FOR THOSE WHO ARE PROUD TO BE BRITISH

Hello RebeccaJo
Such sad sad news.
My condolences to you and your family.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Rebecca, I am SO sorry to hear this very sad news. You have been a wonderful, caring wife for your husband and I know this must be devastating for you. I do hope you will find comfort in your memories of him. Sending love and hugs to you.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Rebeccajo, so sorry to hear this devastating news. My condolences to you. May you find strength in the numerous people who attended his funeral and from his family and friends in the Spring when you return him to his roots.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 8:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences from me too. How awful for you.

Be brave.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 5:20 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, everyone. I've been wanting to tell the news on BE but writing an entire thread about it didn't seem right. This way, those who are regular and read often will see. And that seems the most fitting.

My son has been with me this Christmas and that has helped. He's about to leave though to go back to his life. I'll have New Years to work through on my own.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 5:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rebeccajo;12137188]Thank you, everyone. I've been wanting to tell the news on BE but writing an entire thread about it didn't seem right. This way, those who are regular and read often will see. And that seems the most fitting.

My son has been with me this Christmas and that has helped. He's about to leave though to go back to his life. I'll have New Years to work through on my own.[/QUOTE]

At least you can go to bed early this year without feeling guilty.

Keep being brave.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

So very sorry to hear this Rebecca Jo. After you tried for so long to return together to the UK 2016 was not a kind year. Wishing for you strength and courage in the days ahead.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This is so sad, he was the same age as George Michael . It seems people are dying younger these days. It's so scary because I'm not far behind in age. Be strong, you have a good bunch of people here if you need help.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The US system is highly variable because so much is done at a state level. Even Federally funded benefits like Medicaid are not implemented by some states. Massachusetts has quite a good set of benefits, services and public health.
I have learnt a lot about TANF recently. In Michigan more TANF money goes to pay for private tuition grants than goes to cash assistance. Some States, more TANF money goes to anti abortion clinics than cash assistance. NPR has some good articles. TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
Old Dec 29th 2016, 9:26 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have learnt a lot about TANF recently. In Michigan more TANF money goes to pay for private tuition grants than goes to cash assistance. Some States, more TANF money goes to anti abortion clinics than cash assistance. NPR has some good articles. TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
What is an anti-abortion clinic?
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:12 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Just curious- if someone who is not British, no ties to the UK can get benefits when entering the UK as an "asylum" seeker- what is logic of British citizen not getting benefits because he or she lived abroad ?
Because most asylum-seekers arrive with nothing but a few clothes (and if they're lucky, a mobile phone (which will likely have the few pictures of their family they can access).

Emigrants returning to the UK permanantly tend to have savings, have left a good job and home, and will be considered to have made themselves intentionally homeless if they don't have accommodation arranged in the UK.

Would an American returning to the U.S. after a period working abroad get benefits and the like as soon as they arrived back in the states?
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Editha
What is an anti-abortion clinic?
This is an example of one

Only You Can Make This Choice

Their other name is Pregnancy crisis centers

This was the NPR article, S01-5 The Uncertain Hour
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:22 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

It is just that I've always called them abortion clinics, not anti-abortion clinics.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is just that I've always called them abortion clinics, not anti-abortion clinics.
Two completely different things, one will try to talk you out of an abortion sometimes masquerading as an abortion clinic. They sometime try to string you along so it becomes difficult to have an abortion. The other is an abortion clinic that will give you advice and will perform or refer you for an abortion.

Abortion clinics do not get welfare dollars

This is an extremely controversial subject in the US
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Fake 'clinics' where their entire raison d'etre is to persuade women not to have an abortion.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/le...gnancy-centers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.