British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Canada back to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/canada-back-uk-879337/)

Julafoot Jun 23rd 2016 4:26 pm

Canada back to UK

HI, I (British Citizen) am moving back to UK, after trying for 28yrs to settle, I have realised its not going to happen. So much stuff to figure out, can I just change my Canadian driving license for UK, (I did have a UK driving license before). Is my NHS number still valid? how about my National Insurance number ?
Its getting quite daunting!!!

Pulaski Jun 23rd 2016 4:36 pm

Re: Canada back to UK

Your NI number is still there, it hasn't changed. And you can just request that your driving licence be reissued, assuming you are less than 70 (that is the age that British driving licences have to be replaced). As you previously held a British licence, your Canadian licence is irrelevant.

Julafoot Jun 23rd 2016 10:11 pm

Thankyou, that's good to hear

mikelincs Jun 23rd 2016 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Julafoot (Post 11981967)
Thankyou, that's good to hear

your NHS number will have changed as they went to all number ones a good few years ago, but when you go to register at your GP's they will be able to get your new one.

BritInParis Jun 23rd 2016 10:43 pm

Your NHS number and NI number will still exist. You can just start using them again. When you return to the UK then you'll need to hand in your Canadian licence in order to have your GB licence reissued. Use Form D1 which you collect from a Post Office or order online for free. You will need your GB driving licence number in order to do this though. If you don't know what it is you can look it up here. You'll need your NI number and the postcode where your last GB driving licence was registered.

Most importantly you'll need a valid British passport before you make the move. If you haven't already then you may also wish to consider acquiring Canadian citizenship before you return to leave that door open.

BristolUK Jun 23rd 2016 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Julafoot (Post 11981769)
...moving back to UK, after trying for 28yrs to settle...

Are you sure you gave it long enough? :rofl:

Best of luck :)

Teenyexpat Jun 10th 2017 7:03 pm

hello Julafoot
Was wondering how you have settled? Was it easy to renew everything when you got back? Were there any tax implications?

Pulaski Jun 11th 2017 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Teenyexpat (Post 12270140)
hello Julafoot
Was wondering how you have settled? Was it easy to renew everything when you got back? Were there any tax implications?

Thanks ....

As Julafoot only posted twice, most recently 50 weeks ago, it is unlikely he/she will respond. :unsure:

Novocastrian Jun 15th 2017 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12270280)
As Julafoot only posted twice, most recently 50 weeks ago, it is unlikely he/she will respond. :unsure:

Very true. I'll act as surrogate here.

Originally Posted by Teenyexpat (Post 12270140)
hello Julafoot

We moved back from Canada just under 2 years ago. Absolutely no problems in reactivating NHS, NI, driving licences and no tax implications.

Teenyexpat Jun 22nd 2017 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12273563)
Very true. I'll act as surrogate here.

We moved back from Canada just under 2 years ago. Absolutely no problems in reactivating NHS, NI, driving licences and no tax implications.

Thank you very much. Looks like we will be moving in the next month or so. Very daunting lol. Can I ask what company you used for shipping? Thanks