Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help with some suggestions?

Can anyone help with some suggestions?

Old Oct 14th 2014, 1:19 am
Angel

Missing_home is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone help with some suggestions?

This is my first post here and to be honest feel very happy to have found the site and be able to read similar stories of us expats living abroad and some, like me, thinking of returning home to the U.K.

I live in Mexico but haven't seen many people posting from here, perhaps I'm the first or I just haven't seen any.
I'm a little nervous as I.m not really sure if this is the right place to post with my questions or doubts, so my original post has been put on hold for the time being until I find my way around
Anyway, I have lived here for twenty years with my Mexican partner and things have gotten a lot worse lately between us and I've always had a longing to go home to England but for reasons which would take too long to tell about here have never done so and not been back for a visit for about 10 years when my parents were still alive.

I would love to get in touch with other British expats if there are any on here that live in Mexico and not so much gossip or complain, but just to correspond and share suggestions and to not feel so lonely and sometimes really scared of being in a foreign country by myself. Things here have gotten really bad with all the kidnappings and all the violence, I live in the affected area which has been in the news lately.I have no idea what to do or who to get in touch with if need be here, besides the English Embassy.

Any suggestions would be very welcome from anyone who might have some.
I'm sorry to say I don't feel protected or really safe in this situation in the case of something happening!!!

Also, I would and would really love to and go back to England, I would be very, and more than willing to work at anything if I could find a job which doesn't require written qualifications, at this point I am not picky,I speak Spanish and Italian fluently but besides that no real qualifications that count nowadays.

Well, that's it for now, hopefully this is the right forum.
Looking forward to hearing your replies
P.S If there is a forum to discuss more about my story would love to know which one it is...thanks
Old Oct 14th 2014, 1:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone help with some suggestions?

Hello and welcome to BE.

We do have a forum dedicated to Mexico...Central, South America & Mexico - British Expats. This forum is the Moving Back To The UK Forum...it's for people who are moving back or wanting to move back to the UK. It's also a place for homesick expats to hang out in.

If you are homesick and want a friendly shoulder to cry on...this forum is the place for you.

If you are afraid for your safety in Mexico and have no means of leaving...then I would contact the British Embassy/Consulate.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 14th 2014 at 1:35 am.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 2:14 am
Angel

Thanks, will do just that and check out the other forum for Mexico...
Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that your fluency in 3 languages would be enormously helpful in getting a good job in a major UK city. Not being there yet myself, I cannot suggest good websites to investigate, but hopefully someone else will come along and do so.

For homesickness and loneliness, hang out here with us. Many of us are in the same situation. Hopefully you will also find someone local to meet with. Wishing you the very best of luck.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:01 pm
Angel

Thanks so much for your kind answer perthhomeschool, are you hoping to return as well?
Where do you live now?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Missing_home
Thanks so much for your kind answer perthhomeschool, are you hoping to return as well?
Where do you live now?
I am in sunny Florida, US of A. Hate sun, love grey skies - just one reason I feel out of place here

Hubby and I are on a 2 year plan, when our daughter graduates. Then we will head back to England or Wales. Not sure yet. Not going near family as I am from London, as that is now cost prohibitive for us. Looking to start again somewhere new.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I am in sunny Florida, US of A. Hate sun, love grey skies - just one reason I feel out of place here

Hubby and I are on a 2 year plan, when our daughter graduates. Then we will head back to England or Wales. Not sure yet. Not going near family as I am from London, as that is now cost prohibitive for us. Looking to start again somewhere new.
North Yorkshire is lovely
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
North Yorkshire is lovely
I have a friend in Chesterfield who has suggested we at least start there where she can show us the ropes. I've been gone a long time and not sure how everything works anymore over there! OH has ancestry from the Welsh/English borders and is drawn to the area. So, yes, it will either be Wales or Yorkshire!