The Bulgarian & Romanians

Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:04 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Bulgarian & Romanians

Originally Posted by dunroving
The attitudes of some Brit expats towards eastern European immigrants reminds me a lot of attitudes I saw towards Hispanic immigrants in the US.

There's a very NIMBY-ish aspect to it. Even supposedly open-minded people can't consider the welfare of others without a strong self-interested concern with how it might affect them.
Internet communities of migrants to the US are full of "illegal" haters. I think that's partly because the US system is so sloooooooooow. People develop a perception that they suffered ages to live legally in the US. How that is somehow worse than living illegally in the country with the fear of ICE of your doorstep has always eluded me.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think some people also do consider themselves just naturally superior by 'virtue' of being white and/or English-speaking.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

There's plenty of hysteria and ignorance on a similar thread on the US forum (Trailer Park),
My ears are burning! All I was trying to say in a Desmond Morris way, is that people in crowded cities like London get freaked out by the prospect of overcrowding. It's a natural thing and I do hear Londoners moaning about it including my family who live in East London.
In the big scheme of things historically whenever there's been a wave of migrants coming to London, there's also been some bumps during the transition.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 7:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I did see a survey of younger people something like 20 to 35 and 73% dont have a problem with allowing free movement. It is only the vocal minority and sheep that disagree and think the sky is falling.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris955
I did see a survey of younger people something like 20 to 35 and 73% dont have a problem with allowing free movement. It is only the vocal minority and sheep that disagree and think the sky is falling.
Unfortunately a survey is not scientific enough. Not taking sides but just saying.
It is interesting though reading this thread and the one on the US forum. Each side believes they are correct. Could there be a bit of truth on both sides? Only time will tell I suppose
Old Jan 1st 2014, 8:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
Unfortunately a survey is not scientific enough. Not taking sides but just saying.
It is interesting though reading this thread and the one on the US forum. Each side believes they are correct. Could there be a bit of truth on both sides? Only time will tell I suppose
I can't see how any right-minded peron could think that Romanian people are socially inferior to British people.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 8:31 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Ignoring the gutter press - just in your small world, do you believe the influx of the new EU citizens into the UK, no matter how many there are, will they directly have an impact or affect your daily life in any way (for the better or worse) in the next twelve months?
Not over the next 12 months, but ultimately immigrants always improve quality of life in the country they arrive in. They start businesses, take jobs no-one else wants, and generally add to the economic welfare of everyone else. It's always been that way, and it always will be.

This fear of immigrants always strikes me as particularly weird on a website dedicated to immigrants. Go figure!
Old Jan 1st 2014, 8:34 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
No, the facts actually tell. If you read the economic statistics, immigration is always a plus.

On one side you have facts and on the other side you have fear and ignorance. The truth isn't somewhere in the middle of those two things. It just isn't.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 8:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The rhetoric is familar to me, having grown up in Birmingham during a period of immigration from Asia. Pakistanis in particular came in for a lot of stick but were among the most hardworking and innovative contributors to the economy you could find.

I can understand why some people may be fearful of the economic conequences, but I can't understand the bigoted attitudes of some BE-ers on this topic.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:00 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Montfan72
My ears are burning! All I was trying to say in a Desmond Morris way, is that people in crowded cities like London get freaked out by the prospect of overcrowding. It's a natural thing and I do hear Londoners moaning about it including my family who live in East London.
In the big scheme of things historically whenever there's been a wave of migrants coming to London, there's also been some bumps during the transition.
I didn't mean your posts - I could see your point and you didn't come across as having a superior attitude about eastern Europeans.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

With all respect, it appears some of you live in bucolic, rural areas where sudden influx of foreign people is a rare occurrence. Nothing wrong with that, but to suggest that Londoners who are nervous about this are racist and intolerant is unfair.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't mean your posts - I could see your point and you didn't come across as having a superior attitude about eastern Europeans.
Ok thank you, I was starting to get a complex for a bit!
Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can't see how any right-minded peron could think that Romanian people are socially inferior to British people.
The Romanians are very educated and have similar values to us. I believe the furor is about the Roma people.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I think many people are concerned that our ethic mix will be changed so much that our culture and Britishness will be lost. Also our country is too small for a continued big increase in population, though no doubt this will happen over the years.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Agreed! However that does not negate the fact that each side "might"have a valid point or two that has nothing to do with being socially inferior. I noticed you were very vocal in the US thread. No problem with that. However I'm not going down that road just think it's an interesting thread and continue to be fascinated by what is taking place in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.