Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

British words/expressions you DON'T like

British words/expressions you DON'T like

Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British words/expressions you DON'T like

Jog on

Hate it, hate it, hate it.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

'My bad' is the one I dislike
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cappuccino
'My bad' is the one I dislike
I hate that one too - think it's an Americanism that has crept in somehow. Other ones that get on my nerves particulalry when Brits say them are:

"Can I get a coffee" etc....

And "Anyhoo" instead of "Anyhow".

Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's not uncommon to hear TV presenters mis-pronounce all kinds of words these days.
I remember when BBC and ITV used to pronounce just one word differently.

Controversy.

BBC saying controv-ersee with ITV favouring contra- versee
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

I HATE 'Hiya' although it seems to have died out a bit now thank God. It just makes me cringe.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I don't like gutted or gobsmacked - they both turn my stomach.
For once we are totally in agreement
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

'Aw bless' on seeing a kid do anything.

'Haitch'.

One my Mum and her family use which I always found very annoying - calling a magazine a 'book'. "Have you read that Woman's Own book?"
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

"Hun"........ makes my teeth itch.

"of" instead of "have"......... can't believe how common this mistake is made verbally and in the written word.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

"At the end of the day"
Watch one episode of TOWIE and it will be off the Richter scale.
Also excessive use of 'like' as a filler and 'actually'.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:42 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Ms especially since I'm a Mrs..... I went through hell to become a Mrs and I'm very proud of it
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

"Partner" is one I find a bit stilted and impersonal. If someone is your wife, husband, say so, and if you're not married, well ... I guess I can see that B/F, G/F doesn't quite fit that situation.

Pertner just sounds too business-like. Someone should come up with a more romantic-sounding alternative - my main squeeze, my side blanket, my better half are all nicer, I think.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dunroving
"Partner" is one I find a bit stilted and impersonal. If someone is your wife, husband, say so, and if you're not married, well ... I guess I can see that B/F, G/F doesn't quite fit that situation.

Pertner just sounds too business-like. Someone should come up with a more romantic-sounding alternative - my main squeeze, my side blanket, my better half are all nicer, I think.
Partner with pert tits, I like that.

No, I agree with that comment - 'the missus' (even when you're technically not married) is better even.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind Americanisms or new words or any of that but I HATE the way every person in the UK seems unable to pronounce our President's name correctly.

It's an African name so it should be said 'Bar-ACK' with the emphasis on the second syllable, but they insist on BAR-ack like an army barrack. Even the BBC presenters do it although they go to great pains to say country names correctly.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I don't mind Americanisms or new words or any of that but I HATE the way every person in the UK seems unable to pronounce our President's name correctly.

It's an African name so it should be said 'Bar-ACK' with the emphasis on the second syllable, but they insist on BAR-ack like an army barrack. Even the BBC presenters do it although they go to great pains to say country names correctly.

When your President was in Australia he kept referring to Julia as GilLARD, most irritating and I'm not even from down under.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 1:01 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
Ms especially since I'm a Mrs..... I went through hell to become a Mrs and I'm very proud of it
And the opposite for me, please do NOT call me Mrs, 'cos I ain't any longer thank God!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.