UK bank account

Old Oct 23rd 2017, 8:15 am
Just Joined

wadsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK bank account

I plan on moving back to England quite soon & I have been enquiring about

the possibility of opening a UK bank account while still living in Australia.

I have emailed HSBC about it & got no reply. Barclays Bank were much more

helpful but say it's not possible to open a UK account until I have the right I.D

that shows a UK address. I was hoping to claim my superannuation from work

when I take voluntary retirement & have it directly deposited into a UK bank

account. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK bank account

Absolutely normal under the UK money laundering rules. you need to have a UK address and usually utility bills/council tax bills etc. Once opened then it should be straightforward to get your supperann money transferred over. Can your current work hold your funds in abeyance until you can give them the UK bank details?
alternatively, for 5% you can send it to my UK bank and i'll forward it to you.....
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wadsy
I plan on moving back to England quite soon & I have been enquiring about the possibility of opening a UK bank account while still living in Australia.

I have emailed HSBC about it & got no reply.
You can give HSBC Australia's International Banking Centre a phone. Please see link below for details -

https://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal.../move-os/apply
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
You can give HSBC Australia's International Banking Centre a phone. Please see link below for details -

https://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal.../move-os/apply
I have messaged HSBC several times & got no response.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Who did you have your last UK account with?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Do you currently have an HSBC a/c in Australia? If so, what type?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Try and give them a phone call using the number in the link I supplied.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Do you currently have an HSBC a/c in Australia? If so, what type?
J don't have an Australian HSBC account. I asked at the local branch on more than one occasion & they just give me a phone number to ring which is always engaged. I've left several messages & they never got back to me.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
Try and give them a phone call using the number in the link I supplied.
I've tried that & I left another message on the link with my reply email address.
They say I should get a reply within two business days but I've tried a few
times previously & never got a reply.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 3:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

J don't have an Australian HSBC account. I asked at the local branch on more than one occasion & they just give me a phone number to ring which is always engaged. I've left several messages & they never got back to me.
What did you ask? The first step in using HSBC to open an account in another country for you is to have an HSBC account in your current country of residence.

If your "home" HSBC account has sufficient funds to qualify for Premier status there will be no charge for opening an account elsewhere.

If you subsequently relocate to the location of the second account, you can transfer all of the funds to your new home using Global Transfer, again depending on the total funds, free of fees.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What did you ask? The first step in using HSBC to open an account in another country for you is to have an HSBC account in your current country of residence.

If your "home" HSBC account has sufficient funds to qualify for Premier status there will be no charge for opening an account elsewhere.

If you subsequently relocate to the location of the second account, you can transfer all of the funds to your new home using Global Transfer, again depending on the total funds, free of fees.
Thanks Novocastrian. I've spoken to a couple of people in the local HSBC
branch & they did say that to open an overseas account would cost me $200.
I have no problem with that but they didn't mention having to have a current
HSBC account here in Australia. Maybe our wires were crossed. I will pop in
there next week & ask again.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 8:53 pm
Born again atheist

Thanks Novocastrian. I've spoken to a couple of people in the local HSBC
branch & they did say that to open an overseas account would cost me $200.
I have no problem with that but they didn't mention having to have a current
HSBC account here in Australia. Maybe our wires were crossed. I will pop in
there next week & ask again.
Your wires are crossed. You can't use HSBC to open an account elsewhere unless you already have an HSBCwhere you live now.

Once you are with HSBC the fees will depend on your balance with them.