British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   A Bit of Reassurance Today... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/bit-reassurance-today-429557/)

clougherty family Mar 4th 2007 9:21 am

Re: A Bit of Reassurance Today...

Originally Posted by bex 66 (Post 4479994)
Jo,

When you do get home and you have resettled into normality and routine will you post on here your absolute true thoughts and feelings please. I have read your posts with interest and would love to hear your thoughts once you are back in the UK.

I am personally happy here, my life is of a much better quality, but migration hasn't been without it's stresses thats for sure.

Life is too short to be unhappy, so what ever makes you happy you must do, I will be interested to hear your comments upon your return though.

All the best Becky

Hi Becky,
I will definitely post when we get back and tell it how it is! I spoke to my friend who only stayed here for 5mths the other day and she has now been back in the UK for nearly a year. I told her to put an update on for everyone and she said she will, but, as with most people who return home I think they tend not to come on here anymore as they don't NEED to! I asked her if she would do it anyway, I think she can't cope with all the questions so I just said to put an update and that's all she needs to do. I think it's the least people can do when they've had so much support during the bad times from people on here. It's hard when you're in the process of migrating as you read all the positive posts as well as some negative, but you never really know the truth about how things turn out because most people who are happy with their lives don't bother coming on here anymore.

Always wondered what happened to "Go Bananas" I think her name was Maggie and before we came here I read her day to day saga, it made me laugh and look forward to coming to Perth. Wonder if she still likes it? Seem to remember the little girl was called Imogen???

JO;)

clougherty family Mar 4th 2007 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Southerncross (Post 4479482)
Had the same problems with not being able to go out late (food and coffee) on Sat night in London!

You are really boring us all now....

Which part of London exactly were you in when there was this lack of coffee and food on a Saturday night - most of London is open all night. Maybe you weren't really in London - have you got sat nav:confused:

Jo

m100 Mar 4th 2007 9:28 am

Had the same problems with not being able to go out late (food and coffee) on Sat night in London!

Depends what you call late? I know in London at 9.30pm (late in Aus) there are loads of places open.

TraceyW Mar 4th 2007 10:19 am

Originally Posted by clougherty family (Post 4480026)
Hi Becky,

Always wondered what happened to "Go Bananas" I think her name was Maggie and before we came here I read her day to day saga, it made me laugh and look forward to coming to Perth. Wonder if she still likes it? Seem to remember the little girl was called Imogen???

JO;)

Her name was Jill, it was her good mate who was called Maggie. I met them once, Jill was lovely. Really down to earth. Trouble was, she loved it here and so did the crew she hung out with. I just couldn't fit in with the happy squad so to speak!!

She hasn't been on expats for ages. Must still be very happy and settled here.

Southerncross Mar 4th 2007 11:11 am

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl (Post 4479554)
Why are you intentionally being critical of almost everyone who posts? You seem intent on causing ill feeling. Obviously this wonderful place you call home doesn't have enough for you to do, or fill your time, so you feel the need to come onto an expats site, in the Moving Back to the UK forum, to 'put everyone right'. Get a life will you. Just what is your problem?

That's a bit rich. I am not criticising anyone when I say that it is not fair to generalise, I am just making a point. I have realised that this is not a discussion site and you are not open to any other point of view other than the blinkered one that Australia is the pits. And as for me not having a life and just posting all the time, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You lot post all the time AND you never have any fun. On the other hand we have just returned from a picnic at Pelican Point on the Swan River. It was a glorious day and some of us went out on the river in one of our friends' boats, and when we left at 8.00 pm it was still light, still warm, and as we drove home the moon was a great big golden balloon. Maybe you could try going outside occasionally and looking outside of the 4 walls of your computer room and have some fun. You don't have to love it here, but at least be honest with yourselves and each other and admit that there are some good things about Australia. Having said all of that, you will be pleased to know that I am going to log off this site because it is a chronic waste of time talking to people who are happy in their pity pit and don't want to make even the time they have left in Australia fun for fear they will incur the wrath of their friends on this site.

Teabag Mar 4th 2007 12:19 pm

Cooked like a lobster out in that today :blink:

Pollyana Mar 4th 2007 1:15 pm

Should go down to Brighton - we never had problems there, even at 4am :)

Originally Posted by Southerncross (Post 4480280)
You don't have to love it here, but at least be honest with yourselves and each other and admit that there are some good things about Australia.

Some of us do admit that. Apart from my love of Tassie, first visit from family in August, and I can't wait, as then I will get the chance to go out and see more of Qld (even just a little bit will be good!) The Bloke doesn't want to explore the country so I just don't get the chance normally - going up the coast to somewhere near the Reef will be magical - even if it doesn't improve my unsettled feelings, it should be fun, and a fab experience.

JO;)

Some posters were abusive and nasty to her, and so she stopped posting. Shame, she wrote very well and it was lovely to dip into her diary :) Hope you are doing OK Jill, if you ever read this!

Originally Posted by janeyray (Post 4451346)

I too thought I was living Groundhog Day...over and over again. Especially looking at the blue sky ''everyday''...how British I sound, but sometimes a change of sky would be nice wouldn't it?!

Tried to explain this to several people in the UK over the last few weeks, but they were all just they were amazed that I choose February for my trips home, and that I revel in the cold and the rain.

Originally Posted by janeyray (Post 4451346)
Just like to check this site out every now and again. It won't ever change, the fact that people long to live in OZ but many want to return, it's just human nature to want the best and think Australia has the best to offer, but not for everyone. In your heart of heart you know where you should be. Good luck:)

Nice to see you every so often Janey - not many of our era left on the site now!

gruffbrown Mar 4th 2007 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4480556)
Should go down to Brighton - we never had problems there, even at 4am :)

See you in Buddies. :D

Brentles Mar 5th 2007 7:02 am

Hi Becky,
I will definitely post when we get back and tell it how it is! I spoke to my friend who only stayed here for 5mths the other day and she has now been back in the UK for nearly a year. I told her to put an update on for everyone and she said she will, but, as with most people who return home I think they tend not to come on here anymore as they don't NEED to! I asked her if she would do it anyway, I think she can't cope with all the questions so I just said to put an update and that's all she needs to do. I think it's the least people can do when they've had so much support during the bad times from people on here. It's hard when you're in the process of migrating as you read all the positive posts as well as some negative, but you never really know the truth about how things turn out because most people who are happy with their lives don't bother coming on here anymore.

JO;)

I lived in Perth for 5 years, Melbourne for 6 and have been in California for 13. I still miss England; the history, culture, green fields, woods, pubs... but they say the grass is greener on the other side so don't know if I'll ever be settled. My wife is Swedish and wants us to move there this year! Good luck with the move back to the UK, I'll look forward to your post when you've been back a few weeks and hear your opinion.

St.Georges Girl Mar 5th 2007 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Brentles (Post 4483415)
I lived in Perth for 5 years, Melbourne for 6 and have been in California for 13. I still miss England; the history, culture, green fields, woods, pubs... but they say the grass is greener on the other side so don't know if I'll ever be settled. My wife is Swedish and wants us to move there this year! Good luck with the move back to the UK, I'll look forward to your post when you've been back a few weeks and hear your opinion.

Hello Brentles and welcome. You'll find afew who post on here have returned to the UK to live. Some after years away, others only a short time, but they all say the same, the UK is 'home'.

I'd be interested to know what differences you found between Perth & Melbourne, then between Australia & USA? Have you read any of the posts on the US forum yet? They are a good bunch of expats and Americans on there. Hope to hear from you again soon.:)

Pollyana Mar 5th 2007 8:44 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 4481957)
See you in Buddies. :D

:rofl: Is the All Night Diner still going, or did that close when the market moved?

gruffbrown Mar 5th 2007 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4483703)
:rofl: Is the All Night Diner still going, or did that close when the market moved?

I'm not sure, I'll find out.

Pollyana Mar 6th 2007 1:42 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 4481957)
I'm not sure, I'll find out.

If its still open I'll meet you there in about 12 months time:D

janeyray Mar 6th 2007 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by TraceyW (Post 4451506)
Hey....Janeyray....now there's a returnee with a success story!:thumbup:

Are you still loving being home Janey? Was it absolutely the right thing for you to do? What do you ever miss about Oz?

Hiya!! If I'm completly honest I dont miss much about Perth at all. I suppose I miss going to the wonderful beach at Hillarys but even that became normal and mundane anfter a while. I do miss the good food though if I think about it now, the restaurants are great aren't they. I only miss it for a second though;)

Take a look at my new post!

Take care

janeyray Mar 6th 2007 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4480556)

Nice to see you every so often Janey - not many of our era left on the site now!

Hiya to you too :) Will have to meet up one day if you're still over there when we visit the east coast/Great barrier Reef around 2008/9 !! Show us how to bbq, we've definitely forgotten. In fact the barbie we bought back with us from Perth is still in the packing box in the garage outside!!:rofl: