British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   A Bit of Reassurance Today... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/bit-reassurance-today-429557/)

TraceyW Feb 23rd 2007 6:47 am

Re: A Bit of Reassurance Today...

Originally Posted by Tina Baker (Post 4444805)
Don't forget Jo, that if you want to stare at 4 walls that are different to your own....... you are always welcome to come and look at mine!
:

"Hiya wall"..."You think I'm crazy talking to the wall? There's a woman three doors down talks to her microwave!" :rofl:

St.Georges Girl Feb 23rd 2007 7:17 am

Originally Posted by TraceyW (Post 4444926)
"Hiya wall"..."You think I'm crazy talking to the wall? There's a woman three doors down talks to her microwave!" :rofl:

Well Shirley Valentine did and she wasn't crazy, just misunderstood.....and ignored.

As you were ladies.:D

m100 Feb 23rd 2007 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Teabag (Post 4443915)
You've just described my life in Perth!

and me and my daughters life in Sydney!!! (boring!!!)

St.Georges Girl Feb 24th 2007 2:03 am

Originally Posted by TraceyW (Post 4444926)

Well at least you can see yourself, albeit distorted, in a microwave door.:D

St.Georges Girl Feb 24th 2007 2:04 am

Originally Posted by m100 (Post 4446073)
and me and my daughters life in Sydney!!! (boring!!!)

Hello m100, tell us abit about yourself and why you are bored in Sydney?:confused:

janeyray Feb 24th 2007 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by clougherty family (Post 4441598)
Hi all,

Was at Go Bananas today
Jo:rofl:

Wow, that rings bells. What a great place for the kids. Our daughter had her 6th Birthday party there, in the fairy room!! BUT after about the 10th visit it does become boring ....honest :D

I too thought I was living Groundhog Day...over and over again. Especially looking at the blue sky ''everyday''...how British I sound, but sometimes a change of sky would be nice wouldn't it?!

Just like to check this site out every now and again. It won't ever change, the fact that people long to live in OZ but many want to return, it's just human nature to want the best and think Australia has the best to offer, but not for everyone. In your heart of heart you know where you should be. Good luck:)

TraceyW Feb 24th 2007 10:45 pm

Hey....Janeyray....now there's a returnee with a success story!:thumbup:

Are you still loving being home Janey? Was it absolutely the right thing for you to do? What do you ever miss about Oz?

m100 Mar 3rd 2007 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl (Post 4448795)
Hello m100, tell us abit about yourself and why you are bored in Sydney?:confused:

Hi
We came here (Sydney burbs) in Oct 06 and just dont like it!! we are going back to Blightly in April:)

We are bored because:

Shopping boring - no decent fashion
TV (Foxtel) Crap
Newspapers not worth reading
Food - lack of choice and very expensive, little choice of organic food
Beach (or so called outdoor lifestyle?) - cant stay in sun too long, dont want to get skin cancer (skin cancer clinics in every suburb and scary warning adverts on TV)
Daughter (17) bored - absolutely nothing for teenagers to do here -
her friends have to be home by 10.30pm on Saturday night!!
Dont even know who my neighbours are?? they drive into their garages and shut the garage doors behind them.
Everything shuts sooo early:

We went to the Mardi Gras parade in Sydney tonight and thought we would go for a meal on the way back in Castle Hill (suburb). We got to the restaurant at 10pm and were told it was closed we went to another and they said they had closed at 9.30!! WTF it is Saturday night!!

LouiseD Mar 3rd 2007 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by m100 (Post 4477556)
Hi
We came here (Sydney burbs) in Oct 06 and just dont like it!! we are going back to Blightly in April:)

We are bored because:

TV (Foxtel) Crap
Beach (or so called outdoor lifestyle?) - cant stay in sun too long, dont want to get skin cancer (skin cancer clinics in every suburb and scary warning adverts on TV)
Dont even know who my neighbours are?? they drive into their garages and shut the garage doors behind them.

We went to the Mardi Gras parade in Sydney tonight and thought we would go for a meal on the way back in Castle Hill (suburb). We got to the restaurant at 10pm and were told it was closed we went to another and they said they had closed at 9.30!! WTF it is Saturday night!!

That's what we found living in Australia. We lived in Melbourne and people told us how lucky we were to live in such a great vibrant place with so much going on. Which it is. If you live in or right near the city - it's truly fantastic. If you live further out in the suburbs though, it can be really difficult to get to any kind of nightlife - long journey & expensive. Our 17 year old daughter also hated it and only lasted in Oz for six weeks before escaping back to her life in the UK.

Southerncross Mar 4th 2007 4:01 am

Originally Posted by m100 (Post 4477556)
Hi

We are bored because:

TV (Foxtel) Crap

Had the same problems with not being able to go out late (food and coffee) on Sat night in London!

Southerncross Mar 4th 2007 4:03 am

Originally Posted by janeyray (Post 4451346)
Wow, that rings bells. What a great place for the kids. Our daughter had her 6th Birthday party there, in the fairy room!! BUT after about the 10th visit it does become boring ....honest :D

I too thought I was living Groundhog Day...over and over again. Especially looking at the blue sky ''everyday''...how British I sound, but sometimes a change of sky would be nice wouldn't it?!

Just like to check this site out every now and again. It won't ever change, the fact that people long to live in OZ but many want to return, it's just human nature to want the best and think Australia has the best to offer, but not for everyone. In your heart of heart you know where you should be. Good luck:)

I don't know where you had blue skies everyday! Certainly not in Perth, we actually have Autumn, Spring and winter when it is rains and there are even storms. You really should not generalise.

St.Georges Girl Mar 4th 2007 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Southerncross (Post 4479488)
I don't know where you had blue skies everyday! Certainly not in Perth, we actually have Autumn, Spring and winter when it is rains and there are even storms. You really should not generalise.

Why are you intentionally being critical of almost everyone who posts? You seem intent on causing ill feeling. Obviously this wonderful place you call home doesn't have enough for you to do, or fill your time, so you feel the need to come onto an expats site, in the Moving Back to the UK forum, to 'put everyone right'. Get a life will you. Just what is your problem?

TraceyW Mar 4th 2007 8:29 am

Hey, don't let her get to you. You KNOW what her type is like. She has to get her kicks from somewhere!!!

I suggest folk just treat her with the contempt she deserves.:p

St.Georges Girl Mar 4th 2007 8:34 am

Originally Posted by TraceyW (Post 4479918)
Hey, don't let her get to you. You KNOW what her type is like. She has to get her kicks from somewhere!!!

I suggest folk just treat her with the contempt she deserves.:p

I agree Tracey, totally. So from now on this person is to be ignored. Did you get my msg?

bex 66 Mar 4th 2007 9:05 am

Jo,

When you do get home and you have resettled into normality and routine will you post on here your absolute true thoughts and feelings please. I have read your posts with interest and would love to hear your thoughts once you are back in the UK.

I am personally happy here, my life is of a much better quality, but migration hasn't been without it's stresses thats for sure.

Life is too short to be unhappy, so what ever makes you happy you must do, I will be interested to hear your comments upon your return though.

All the best Becky