British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   The Big Yin tonight (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/big-yin-tonight-887650/)

spouse of scouse Nov 19th 2016 4:22 pm

The Big Yin tonight

One of my sisters is visiting from Oz, seeing Billy Connolly has been on her bucket list for a while. We told her we were taking her somewhere tonight, but didn't say where.

I told her about 10 minutes ago that we have front row tickets for his show tonight at the Echo Arena. She's upstairs getting dressed, and I keep hearing 'oh my god! oh my god!! Billy Connolly, oh my god!!'

I love it when a plan comes together :lol:

Pica Nov 19th 2016 5:36 pm

Re: The Big Yin tonight

Hope you all have a wonderful time :)

Perth Nov 19th 2016 7:14 pm

Hope it was all, and more, than she expected.

BristolUK Nov 20th 2016 12:45 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12109092)
... we have front row tickets for his show tonight at the Echo Arena. She's upstairs getting dressed, and I keep hearing 'oh my god! oh my god!! ...

Was it an echo? :lol:

Editha Nov 20th 2016 8:45 am

While you were watching the Big Yin, I was at a Jeremy Hardy gig. Not quite the same, but still fun.

michali Nov 20th 2016 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12109092)
One of my sisters is visiting from Oz, seeing Billy Connolly has been on her bucket list for a while. We told her we were taking her somewhere tonight, but didn't say where.

I told her about 10 minutes ago that we have front row tickets for his show tonight at the Echo Arena. She's upstairs getting dressed, and I keep hearing 'oh my god! oh my god!! Billy Connolly, oh my god!!'

I love it when a plan comes together :lol:

How lovely! Hope you all enjoyed it?

elonii Nov 20th 2016 6:48 pm

I love him! I once paid a fortune on eBay for tickets to a gig he did in Stirling Albert Halls. I was so close I could see his eyes glittering as he wove the old magic. I cannot remember a thing he said. Only that at one point I could no longer move my face muscles upwards, I was laughed out. Brilliance.

Hope you had a great time, what a lovely surprise for your sister!!

spouse of scouse Nov 20th 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks everyone, it was wonderful! Like you Eloni, we laughed until our jaws ached. Editha, I'm glad you had an evening of laughter too :starsmile:

He stood there for almost two hours and delivered such a brilliant show. It was like he was just having a laugh with a few mates, instead of performing in front of 11,000 people. His ability to engage the audience is amazing.

I loved the way he spoke so frankly (and often hilariously) about his Parkinson's and two bouts of prostate cancer. How much the Parkinson's affects him physically was obvious, his left hand trembles constantly, his left arm wanders and he looks very frail. Nobody had a chance to feel sad for him, he wouldn't allow it and instead made us roar with laughter as he described various indignities he'd been subjected to.

One was a procedure to clear a urinary blockage which involved 3 catheters, a beautiful Jamaican nurse, and the efforts he had to go through to stop his willy from standing up to get a better view of her. As I was wiping my tears of laughter away, he yelled "I'm glad you all find it so f*in funny!".

I'm in awe of his talent, his humility, and the way he keeps doing what he loves. As he said, "I don't really know why I'm here. I was scared about going on the road. I'm still scared. But f*** it!" Bravo Mr Connolly, bravo :heart:

Pica Nov 20th 2016 8:27 pm

Wonderful !

elonii Nov 21st 2016 8:27 am

That's brilliant, I actually went to see him in Australia and didn't find the show as good. I think it was the venue though. You felt very separated from him. I was worried he had lost the touch, I really must try to get to see him again before he gives up his performing career. That'd be just my luck!

I have always loved Billy, he's such a talent. You can't imagine that joke about the bum and the bike that launched his career was considered so rude back in the day his manager had forbidden it's telling on TV...

BEVS Nov 23rd 2016 4:55 am

We've seen him twice now . Both times in New Zealand.

He was touring NZ in 2004 when we came to do a bit of a two week reccy for MrBEVS job offers here. No tickets available but someone wanted to sell two tickets for the Taupo concert as it clashed with some cricket thing. It was an online classified ad for a local newspaper & matched the date we would be in Napier so I bought them via an old fashioned bank transfer, from someone I did not know , had not met., who was all across the world and with no guarantees other than they would meet me under the Taupo town clock with the tickets on the night before the concert at 6pm.

Then venue was odd to us. A sort of sports hall affair but used for concerts.

We had the most fab evening. Superb night and I wore my Too Old To Die Young t-shirt until I got too podgy for it to fit. :lol:

Proof.

Attachment 126254

TrishP Nov 23rd 2016 6:26 pm

I saw him in Edinburgh many moons ago and never laughed as hard in my life! By the 2.5hr mark, the audience just quietened down, as no one could laugh any more, our sides were all hurting.
I saw him again a few years ago in Ottawa and he obviously had to tone down his humour quite a bit for a dull and somewhat humourless (in comparison to Brits) Canadian audience, still funny nonetheless.

So nice that you got to see him before his health issues ultimately take him off the stage.

spouse of scouse Nov 23rd 2016 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12112104)
We've seen him twice now . Both times in New Zealand.

He was touring NZ in 2004 when we came to do a bit of a two week reccy for MrBEVS job offers here. No tickets available but someone wanted to sell two tickets for the Taupo concert as it clashed with some cricket thing. It was an online classified ad for a local newspaper & matched the date we would be in Napier so I bought them via an old fashioned bank transfer, from someone I did not know , had not met., who was all across the world and with no guarantees other than they would meet me under the Taupo town clock with the tickets on the night before the concert at 6pm.

Then venue was odd to us. A sort of sports hall affair but used for concerts.

We had the most fab evening. Superb night and I wore my Too Old To Die Young t-shirt until I got too podgy for it to fit. :lol:

Proof.

Attachment 126254

What a fabulous photo and memory. I'm not in the slightest bit jealous

BristolUK Nov 24th 2016 1:45 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12112104)
Proof.

You saw Frank Skinner too? ;)

BEVS Nov 24th 2016 2:04 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12113228)
You saw Frank Skinner too? ;)

What :eek: Noooo.

Mr Bevs is a short git who has a bit of a conk on him and a sorta long face with a 'chin' .

Here he is chillin' with his best friend.

Attachment 126266